You know you grew up in tornado alley if

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Phil Washburn, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    You know you grew up in tornado alley if...

The first thing you do if you hear tornado sirens during the day is check your watch to see if it's noon.

You don't get worried unless the sky looks "green".

You use the word "tornado" as a verb.

You might go indoors when there's a tornado, but you won't "seek shelter" for anything less than an F3.

You know what Doppler radar, Hook echo, wall cloud, and rain-wrapped all mean.

You've never exactly memorized the tornado precautions, but you've heard them enough times that you know them by heart anyway.

Watching the weather is entertaining. And red on the Doppler radar is exciting.

The phrase "Tornado on the ground, take your immediate tornado precautions" sends exciting shivers up your spine.

You've seen photos/videos of tornados and said, "Wow, that's a nice one!"

You can feel/smell tornado weather brewing a few hours before the storm actually begins.

There's an odd feeling as though you've misplaced something if you make it all the way to June without a tornado warning near you.

You think people that live in earthquake and/or hurricane prone areas are crazy.

You know what people are talking about when they mention the "May 3rd/Moore" tornado and the "Greensburg/May4th" tornado.

You watch the movie "Twister" just so you can point out all the inaccuracies in it.

You know your weathermen by their first names. i.e. Gary, Rick.

When you hear the tornado sirens go off, you go outside to watch the storm and take pictures.

Most of the tornado video footage comes from everyday people with camcorders instead of from actual news/weathermen.

You're sure there's a giant tornado magnet hidden somewhere in Moore . And that there are smaller ones distributed throughout trailer parks.

You know that the four seasons are actually: summer, late summer, winter (if you're lucky), and tornado.

You don't consider it windy until the windspeed is faster than 30mph.

You are highly entertained by people from outside tornado alley when there is a tornado watch.

Your school has tornado drills. And you assumed that schools in every other state had them as well.

There's enough random stuff in your tornado shelter that you could live there for a year.

You stand under your carport or open your front door to watch hail and/or thunderstorms.

You know the difference between a basement, a cellar, and a storm shelter.

The weather is a completely acceptable subject for conversation, at any time, for any occasion.

Your local mall has "tornado shelter" signs posted.

It doesn't bother you the next day to find out that your area was under a tornado watch the night before and you had no idea. Unless, of course, it caused you to miss some interesting cloud formations.

Getting to "play" in the basement/cellar/storm shelter numbers among your favorite childhood memories.

You keep matches, candles, and candleholders in more than one place in your house.

Your town will never get hit by a tornado because you're between two rivers or because an old Indian legend says so.

You complain about severe weather reports that interrupt the TV show you're watching.

You can get together all your most important possessions in 2 minutes flat.

When tornado sirens woke you up in the middle of the night...you rolled over and went back to sleep.

You've ever tried to reassure someone by saying that "if anything forms it will only be a little tornado"...and couldn't understand why this didn't calm them down any.

It's normal for your area to be under a tornado watch for multiple days in a row.

When looking at houses/buildings you give them a "tornado survival ranking". i.e., how big of a tornado it would take to destroy it.

You've ever asked (probably w/ disdain) "Don't they know the difference between a warning and a watch?"

You know what towns/cities a tornado normally passes through before coming your way.

From watching radar maps, you've heard of almost every small town in your state. And you know what towns are around them, but you have no idea where in the state they are.

You laughed at everything in this list, but you also respect a tornado's power. And you know that after it's over, clean-up and re-building has to begin.

2. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    you know you live in tornado ally when the sirens go off and you go outside to see if you can find that ther tornader

3. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    You didn't mention potato cellar. Ours came in the spring. Invariably we hadn't got the old sprouting potatoes cleaned out. Nothing better than 2:00 a.m., 5 people crammed into a potato cellar, with candles and a kerosene lamp, the wind howling, smell of rotting potato's and Dad leaning against the porch watching the sky. If he ever came down and closed the fold down door behind him we were in trouble. Was going to tell a story about that, forgot to or forgot if I told it. Will check. Phil thanks for that. Makes me think of "Home Sweet Home" John.

4. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Somehow, those all seem mighty familiar. Kinda like when you hurry the wife and kids in the basement and then run back upstairs to get your camera before heading out onto the porch with the other guys?

5. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Your school has tornado drills. And you assumed that schools in every other state had them as well.

They don't?! :eek:oooh:

6. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You no your in tornado alley when your mother law is visiting from NJ and wakes up screaming the sirens are going off what do I do and you say we must be under attack arm yourself then you turn on the TV and see its a flash flood warning and tell her to shut up and go back too bed :)

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Like my wife said after the one we had in march,'"i grew up in tornado alley and I've never been in one '. I casually told her ,'cant say that anymore'.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Sounds awfully familiar, but I didn't grow up here in Arkansas (tornados).

Before I lived here, I lived in Florida (hurricanes). My business had a disaster recovery department.

Before I lived in Florida, I lived in California (earthquakes). We lived 26 miles south of where the 'brains' built a nuclear power plant right on top of an earthquake fault. But to this day, the only earthquake I've ever been in was in North Little Rock, Arkansas. Go figure.

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    It seems like when New Mexico or West Texas do have tornadoes they tend to be bad ones.

10. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Phil ya also left out ya got a chainsaw in yer emergency gear & ya don't even own a wood stove.

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I live a stones throw from Xenia (OH). Growing up right after the big one (F5)(in what... '76?) then another F4 a few years ago, I have a downright phobia of tornados. I can remember having it for as long as I can remember.

So many of the things on Phil's list I canm relate to. Shoot, I too thought all schools had tornado drills! :embarassed:

12. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Back in my younger days I was on the CD SAR team and because I was the only one that dumb they sent me out to climb a fire tower to watch for tornados(didn't have doppler radar back then) every time we had a watch.I never had one hit my house but in 1984 I was in town when I heard we had a tornado warning and they said it was on the ground and headed for the palce where my mobile home was.I took off to drive the 5 miles to get my wife and kids in a safe spot(the gully behind the trailer),we got wet but no one was hurt but what made it exciting was I ran into a hail storm on the way home and the bad part was I was driving an open top CJ 5 Jeep.I was bleeding from 4 or 5 spots from where hail had hit me by the time I got to my trailer.

13. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    This brings back memories of Keystone V. I'll be nice and won't mention Janzaldo:hell_boy:, but someone from California thought a tornado was coming into the campsite. There's a railroad track about 300yds south of the campground. After the first 1-2 times of the train passing, you get used to it and don't notice it.

:004:

14. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    The town I live in was flatteded by a Tornado. Green sky is a dead give away!
    Bill

15. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I knew a guy who moved here to MD from Texas. Scared him the first few times the fire siren went off. He thought we were having a tornado, till we let him know what was going on.:eek:oooh:

16. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    You also qualify if you moved from West of the Mississippi to east of it ,in an attempt to find your missing possessions!!!!!!:sad2::wink:

17. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    there was a big bad tornado in huntsville in 88'. 15 minutes before it bushhawged the old airport, my mamma was trying to convince my soccor coach to let us have practice anyway.

18. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Bryan, I remember that night VERY well. It was April 3rd, 1974. There were over a hundred verified funnel clouds in that storm system (it was the first and only time I've seen one, the non-stop lightning made it almost daylight at night outside). It wiped out a church building and a trailer park 500 yds down the road from where I lived then. Half the town of Brandenburg, KY was wiped out that night; if memory serves me right, several were killed there.

Yea I relate to several things on Phil's list. The green skys for sure.

19. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was 16 when the Xenia tornado hit. I stood at my front door watching it... that's a site that's going to be with me until the day I die.

Mom and Dad weren't home from work yet, just me, my li'l bro and sis.. I had them get in the hallway (no basement), threw a mattress on 'em, and watched as whole roofs and semi's went round and round and round...

I remember saying something to the girl next door about how green the sky was... and then how calm and quiet itt got - not a breeze, not a bird chirping, nothing.... then all hell broke loose.

No tornado sirens back then. All you had was TV and radio warnings...

20. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I need to get out more! I thought all states had tornado drills. I can remember walking out into the hall, grabbin our knees in an upright fetal position and putting a hard cover book over our head.

Yeah, I'm from Columbus & I remember that Xenia storm. I was 9 at the time. You wanna talk about fearful people the next few years after that one.