You jet boat users

Discussion in 'Boating' started by pk_powell, Apr 28, 2007.

1. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Have really sparked my interest in them. Would someone be so kind to talk to me about a good fishing jet boat. I want one with some seats and things so I can get my family out and have some fun! I don't know the first think about them so i want to know eveything from start to finish! Thanks in advance!:big_smile:

2. Snake Charmer

Snake Charmer New Member

State:
    Ca/Nv/Az
    These guys have been @ it a long time! :smile2: And you see more on the water than most other type!--in the Pacific-NW--Same owners, for over twenty years!--The rest of your Question is kinda loaded! :lol: We All have ideas on what a Real Fishin boat is! :wink: ...Myself, I Tricked out And Drive the Storm!..

http://www.customweld.com/

I'll try to answer Questions if you have More specific ones! :)

Attached Files:

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    First, be sure that you really feel the need to operate a boat in 1 or less feet of water at full throttle. If you don't have that much shallow water nearby then think carefully before you make the plunge. People say that the fuel mileage is terrible on a jet although I would argue that point. I had a 40/30 Evinrude that drank like an alcoholic on Monday afternoon. My 2007 4 stroke yamaha 115/80 get extremely good fuel mileage. I have run a 225 Johnson Prop, a 90 mariner Prop and this Yammie beats them both.

You also lose power (30%+/-) So a 90 prop with outrun a 90/60 jet everytime except.... in 1 foot of water ;)

I love...adore....um... for a silver tongued devil I'm speechless... Have I told you how much I love my 2072 SeaArk (Cook's Edition, Troy Missouri)?

It is long, wide, fast, stable, comfortable... You can get it any way you want it... In other words it is as big as my Mom and Dads pontoon, has plenty of room, runs 35 mph+/-, gets good fuel economy.... all in 4" of water.

Good luck in your quest.

4. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree, it's a loaded question.

I've got a Lowe 160SPL w/ a 50/35 Evinrude Jet. She's a heck of a ride. She's a bit narrow (5' beam), but in my mind a good length (16.5'). The boat's big enough to fit 2 comfortably, possibly 3. Top speed is around 25 MPH. Gas consumption is 3-4 gallons in an 8 hour day. I need about 10" to start out, and about 6" to run comfortably. I've run her in as shallow as 3", but that'll get your heart rate up and if there's ANYTHING out there sticking up, you'll come to a screeching halt.

For me, she does the trick, but my dream boat is a RiverPro HiPro. 200 ponies running in 4" of water w/ high sides. What a beautiful ride. I saw one over the weekend and couldn't stop the drool coming from the corner of my mouth.

The Customweld's are really cool, but unless you're running serious whitewater, they're overkill.

There are about 10-15 jets on my river. Most are jons, a couple are mod-v's like mine, then there are a couple RiverPro's, beaver tails, and air boats.

Personally, the beaver tails scare me. They're an air cooled Honda motor w/ the prop 6' behind the boat. Sounds great right? Just one little problem, THEY HAVE NO REVERSE!. Let's see, moving water, obstacles, typically stained water color, islands, and no reverse. No thanks.

In order to figure out if a jet is right for you, and which one, first off ask yourself what kind of water you run? Do you get locked into a short section of river when the water level drops? How much stuff do you NEED on the boat (weight adds draft)? Once you start answer that, start looking at the other boats on the river. Are they all little outboards or are there bigger boats too? Are there any beaver tails or jets on your river already? Start talking to the jet boat ppl locally. Ask for a quick ride (most will LOVE to show off their rig). Pretty soon you'll start to figure out what's right for you.

Good luck.

P.S. On a related note, wider is better for draft, but may get you in trouble in tight cuts.

5. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    to answer my question. I guess it was kinda silly what I asked but as I said when it comes to boats I don't know the first thing about em. Now I fish the majority of the time the Missouri River. I have seen pontoons and what I thought or presumed to be bass boats going up and down it at a distance.The depth of the river varies. In the hot summer,man she can drop so low that the menfolk who work the land for the Conservation department have been very concerned as they told me they couldn't get the water pumps on to water the crops. Then of course I have smaller rivers that I shore fish. I have never one time seen a boat on them.The main reason I want a boat is because I know there's some big pole benders out there,and I'm limited in that I shore fish. When I heard about Jet boats I didn't know they even existed(hey I'm a woman) I knew of course about Jet ski's that are on our lakes especially during the summer Holidays,but didn't know they came in boats also. I guess What I'd really like is a Boat I could take out on the Missouri and seat at least 4-6 people and have our rods out the back of the boat and have one of them pole benders hit. That would just be so awesome to me. Ya see I've loved to fish all my life,I love the outdoors period.I use to hunt with my husband before he was injured. Hope we can get doctor's clearence for him to do that again and we can go together. We're just an outdoor family that wants to have fun in the sun!:big_smile_2: :big_smile_2:

6. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    I like my jet boat, I ended up selling my other boat after I got the jet. Its not really a fishing boat, its a SeaDoo sport boat, but I like it. I can only fit two, maybe three people on it, but most bass boats are the same way. The cool thing is, if the fish are not biting, we can break out the tube or ski's and have a ball! I got mine for a little under $8,000.00, but you can find older ones for half that all day long. With a 14ft boat that has twin 85hp engines I can get around pretty good. the best part about some types of jet boats is that they handle much better than regular boats. In mine, I can be going full speed(62mph) and cut the wheel as fast as I can, and the boat will just cut and turn.You will fall in love with them if you ever ride in one.

Attached Files:

7. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Pat, talk to Kevin Turner from RiverPro they are located in Missouri. I bet he would even take you on a ride so you can see what they are about.
    I bought mine (High pro) in march and I tell you I love it. I have been on the river every weekend and a few times during the week, I can't get enough!
    The newer motors are very efficient and reliable, example: my old boat was a 14 ft tracker V with a 25 hp evinrude tiller motor and I could go about 5 miles up river and 5 miles down it would take a hour or more and it would consume most of the five gallons in the tank. Now with the Riverpro I can go 10 miles up and 10 miles down in less than 1/2 an hour and consume about the same or less with 200 horses! So you see I am going 4 times the distance with 4 times the horse power and useing the same amount of gas. And getting there much quicker and not so much as a worry about hitting anything. If you can't see it you won't hit it.
    The capacity of the Highpro I'm running is 5 people totalling 750 lbs. with a total load capacity of people and gear at 1200 lbs. So you can load them up pretty good and still get in the shallows.
    I have mine all set up the way I like it now so when I get a chance I'll get some pic's of it posted for all to see.