You guys use alot of light at night?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Biscuit, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Biscuit

Biscuit New Member

State:
    Va
    i use just a coleman lantern, or do you think its better to use less light when fishing? my friend likes to just use a flashlight, let me know you opinions....

2. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    :embarassed: :embarassed: I like to have alot of light. I use a couple of lanterns and then i also start a fire were permitted. I like to see. Course i get a lil crazy when i get a bite and i wana see where i am running if im not right next to my pole. I have fell to many times not to use light and guess what i still will bust my @#$ on ocasions

3. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    All of my friends have big complicated light systems on their boats, but I don't like them. I like the convenience of a simple head led light. I use mostly white rods and the leds make them very visible.

4. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I believe flats are sensitive to light more then other cats and you will scare them with to much light. If possible use a blacklight but I do just fine with a walmart flashlight with a stand that points straight to the rod tips and not at the water.

5. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I mostly use firelight or lamplight while I am bank fishing. But I have spotlights on the front of my 14' flatbottom while I am fishing. Inside the boat I usually just use a flashlight lantern and if the moon is full, nothing.

6. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio

i agree.flatheads are very light sensitive.i use a blacklight wen i need some light but usually just a flashlight works for me.

7. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I have to have alot of light when I fish. I use two lanterns when bank fish and a black light in the boat.

8. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I tape a glow stick on the end of each pole. The ones Gene has are great, they glow all night and with a head LED light I don't loose night vision and can see far off much better.

Danny

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It depends where I am fishing. On the banks of the Ohio where I am casting a great distance and the water is deep I use a lot of light. If I am fishing a small river or creek and am fishing close in to the bank I use no light at all. One thing to think about when fishing smaller waters the more light you have the more you are likely to walk around thus causing vibrations through the ground. This coupled with bright light will send those big cats run'n. On big water you can play music and dance! lol :big_smile:

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I am fine with a dark boat and my headlamp. Some folks like more light, so I have a battery powered light that runs off the trolling motor battery and can light up the boat all night.

As for whether or not light affects the fish; I don't really know. I have not done that well with a lit up boat, and we had the largest tournament catch I have ever witnessed on my home lake last weekend with the boat lit up like a Christmas tree. With that said, we were after channels and blues, so not real sure about the flatheads.

11. jrh_67

jrh_67 New Member

State:
    texas
    When bankfishing we almost always have a fire, if nothing else to keep the bugs off! They are there by the billions and are so thick when you run the river in a boat you almost can't see in front of you just a wall of bugs. In the boat we use spotlights when runnung but very sparingly. When baiting lines in the boat i use a headlamp and turn it off when done so it is pitch dark...Something about the darkness i just love...lol

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Here's my rule of thumb. If you are fishing flatheads in an urban area like a boat ramp or under a bridge, some docks, or anywhere else that is lighted all year round, feel free to use your lanterns or campfires. The fish are used to it. If you are fishing lonely stretches of a river or lake that has no artificial light the fish are not used to it and you should minimize any light to water contact. This means turning towards the bank while baiting up, or re-tying when you turn on your headlamps or flashlights. In my boat I have a red light to turn on when baiting up. It saves my night vision and doesn't produce a white glare. This only holds for larger fish. If you want to catch 2lb channels, then by all means build the biggest fire you can, shine your spotlight into the water. If you want a chance to catch a 40lb flathead in 4ft of water on a black stretch of river bank you should keep the light in the bushes.

13. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    I always take a cheap flashlight with me and almost always just make a small fire. I basically just use the flashlight for baiting and retying. I will run a lantern when theres no firewood but Im pretty cheap so I dont like to waste batteries just letting something run all night when a fire can do the same thing.

14. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I don't like alot of light. I use a citronella bucket on each end of the boat, and keep a spot light handy just in case.

15. bank bouncer

bank bouncer New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    If you are in deep water(20+) it don't matter, once you go shallow its lights off, blacklight on. As someone else mentioned when tying a rig, eating, or whatever, face away with your light on. You ever cruise the bank with a powerful light shinning on bank and see fish tart off, thats right many times.

16. bluekatcher

bluekatcher New Member

State:
    illinois
    I dont personally like alot of light. If I use lights at all it is a low light pointing up on my rod tips and as far as light in the boat I have a flouresent battery light that came with my craftsman kit and it works all night with both batteries. If I need light to net a fish then we use our mag light.

17. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Red light headlamp all the time. I dont allow lanters and stuff when people come fishing with me. Sometimes there is no way around having a small fire, it gets bit cold up here in Minnesota...even in the summer time.

18. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    all the light we use is those led head lights. if you need more light keep it in front of you. i believe the shadows cast on the water as you walk in front spook fish. just my opinion though

19. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    I only use my headlamp, keep it as dark as possible.

20. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I don,t use much light but if I am in a boat I use my Bow lights It the LAW