you gotta be kidding me

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by finster31, Nov 15, 2009.

1. finster31

finster31 New Member

State:
    Mohnton Pa
    I took my boat out to blue marsh today to have a day on the water, but that plan fell apart the same time my motor pulled the bolts and washers through the transome:eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh:????
    Here is how it played out. I got there round 12:30, put in and whent on a run over to the other launch about a mile or so. I just floated around some waiting for my buddy to show up. Picked him up and backed out, turned around and started to head out. The water was smooth as glass so I gave'er some yum-yum (that's gas) and off we went. We went about oh maybe a 1000 yards then all of a sudden the steering got sloppy so I looked back and saw more water then I have ever seen before at that speed. I shut it down and went back to the motor and couldn't believe my eyes.
    WTF??????? I got it started and headed for shore. I got mybud to drive it while I looked in the fuel area, OMG!!!!! WTF@!#!#! we're gonna sink!!! Water was just pouring in and the pump wasn't gonna keep up.
    By the time Len and John got me back to the launch the boat had water over my batteries and my fuel tank was floating, trim pump was under water too. Water was up as far as my seats and console.
    We strapped the motor down with tie dows and transome saver to try and save what is let of my transome, secured it for the 18 mile trip home. I got it home, backed into the garage and had a smoke and a drink and said to myself, myself " WTF just happened today?". Well it looks like I have a new winter project for myself.

2. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    Damn John sounds bad but it could have actually been worse like you said good winter project

3. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    It really could have been a lot worse. You walked away from it and are able to talk about. You were blessed. :wink:

Ray

4. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Sorry to hear of the problem . Beef that sucker up this time around so it never happens again .

5. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    that was an ugly site bro, i'm just glad i was there ta give ya a tow back to the ramp. me and NPT soaked some liver at a couple spots and didn't catch anything anyway. i just couldn't believe how rotted the wood behind the fiberglass was at the transom, for being garage kept i would of never guessed it would of been that bad. once we got to the ramp people standing around were like :eek:oooh: what the hell happened.

6. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Sorry to hear about your problems. That sucks but at least it didn't happen way far from the ramp and when nobody was around.
    Len: Again you got part of the hero status.
    At least it's good you had a tow and made it back without having to go into the water.

I was suprised to find how much the one side of my transom was rotted when I ws working on my boat. Mine's an aluminum V and the only way I really found out was that I removed the end caps to clean them up and paint, otherwise I may have ended up with a big problem too. It wasn't easy getting the wood out from betwen the aluminum and had to drill a couple rivets. Made up a new transome of two layers of marine plywood then sealed with waterproofing. I guess the rot came from leakage at a couple bolts. I made sure to seal all the bolt holes with 3M sealant when I put it back together. Good as new no and should last as long as I'll ever need it.

7. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Doesn,t even sound good John.Hope it don,t cost too much to fix!:sad2:

8. Glad we were there to help bro, and yes, I did sneak a little video footage from it.:eek:oooh: :0a10:

And yes, 6 hours later I did manage to get myself into some dry pants and briefs.:cool2:

9. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Sounds awful,, However,, as has been mentioned, could have been a lot worse..

Glad everyone is safe..

and,, hats off to good responses handling the situation in the heat of the moment,,, even at the moment,, it may not have seemed like it!!!

10. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Well I'm glad you averted a (could have been) deadly situation,going in the water this time of year isn't to pleasent. But on a good note at least you found out about it now,before winter than in the spring,gives you the winter to work on it instead of missing any good fishing time. Don't know what kind of boat you have but having the transome rebuilt by pro's is expensive,good poject for the garage. I had a friend that ripped his transom completely off about 4 years ago,he had just bought a new motor and went to the lake,toodled around awhile then opened it up,when he did his new motor and about 3/4 the transom headed for lake bottom,snapping cables and lines,he swore off boats,he always had problems one right after another with his boats,but maintenence wasn't his thing and I figure that had something to do with it.

11. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    and i thought i had a bad day. glad everyone is ok. John and Lenny way to look out for your bros.

12. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    hate to hear about that happening, But glad your OK. Big Thanks to john and lenny for being there to help out when needed.

Finster, Might be worth Getting with Steve Douglas (The Monster rodholder guy)here on the BOC via PM. I think last year he found the wood in his transome rotted and found a good product to fix it. I believe it is a reson core transom filler of some sorts. After digging his old wood out he poured this stuff in to replace the wood. I forget the name of the stuff, but Steve might be able to point you in the right direction. I don't think it is expensive at all either.

13. finster31

finster31 New Member

State:
    Mohnton Pa
    I gave my dad's best friend a call because he works, builds and repairs boats for a hobby. He said he would stop over after I get the motor off to see what kind of damage and to what extent. I'll have it repaired by spring.

14. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Glad to hear that you have the situation under control. :wink: Hope the repairs aren't too expensive.

Ray

15. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    :crazy:That's crazy. I am so glad I wasn't with you :smile2:. When I was 16 I had a boat and the transom was cracked and it started taking water slowly and then it got rough as crap and it started taking more water and by the time we got it back to the doc it was half full of water :smile2:. Good thing it was when I lived in Florida and the Indian River is shallow usually under 4'. We jumped out and we were pulling it in. It sucked then but it is funny to think about know.

16. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    ken ya should of seen it, his boat looked like a low rider in the water with the water in it. i don't know what was worse the way the fiberglass was pealed away at the top of the transom or the golf ball sized hole the bottom bolts punched thru the transom, when he pulled up the ramp that thing was gushin water from all over out the back:eek:oooh: and i thought the motor was gonna just drop on the ground

17. finster31

finster31 New Member

State:
    Mohnton Pa
    I had my dad come over and look at it, he said depending on how much rotten wood has to be removed it might be worth it to keep me eyes open for another boat. Since I bought it I have kept it in the garage, but I don't have any idea how it was stored by the last owner(inside or outside). I'm figuring the wood was rotten when I bought the boat, but ya couldn't tell because of the fiberglass. :confused2::sad2:

18. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I feel for ya! It would be like me breaking both my foot and not being able to walk to my fishing holes.

Be glad it happened during the winter and not during prime time fishing.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  19. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.

I hear that

20. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Timing sure isn't everything, but sometimes it sure is an important thing in life. :wink:

Ray