You don't know if you don't go...

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by paleocaver, Jun 5, 2006.

1. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    I usually avoid summer weekend fishing like the plague. A buddy, Paul, called and wanted to take the kids out (his two sons age 3 and 6). Sam (also age 6) and I joined them. We launched on Redstone Arsenal and cruised down the Tenn. River to the start of a long bluff line hoping to let the kids catch some bluegill and small cats. All I packed was a light action and medium action spinning reels with 8-lb line. I was expecting to fish very little.

Paul quickly caught a shellcracker, then in the midst of baiting hooks, controlling his boat, and dodging 6-year old casts, the medium rig went down. It was a 3-pound channel. Would have kept it but it was totally covered with red bumps, loooked like it had a bad case of acne. A minute later the light rod bowed and Sam reeled in a 1-pound channel. We went fishless for another 30 minutes when I caught a dink whole-fryer channel.

As the kids got bored and started building a fort under the console of the Bumble Bee bass boat we were in (a far cry from my 14' flatbottom), Paul had given up on cats and was fishing a plastic worm for bass. I was still bouncing bottom with a big bait of fiddle worms. As soon as the rod bowed, I knew I was in for a fight. I'm using the 6' medium action spinning reel with 8-lb line. The fish on the other end wouldn't budge from the bottom for several minutes. I finally got it headed up when it made two short runs back to the bottom. I kept the pressure on and in about 10 minutes landed a nice blue cat in the 15 to 18 lb range. My arms were a little tired and my adrenaline was pumping but good.

That's the 2nd blue of that size I landed on that rig. I wouldn't fish that way every time, but it sure was fun. Just goes to show, you never know what you'll catch even on a day with a thousand pleasure boats and no current. You can't catch them while sitting at home.

I'll add a pic to the thread when Paul sends it to me.

2. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Good job sounds like you had a blast.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Scott.I caught every fish yall did.I enjoyed every minute that yall did.Some of us catch fish and have a wonderful trip through people like you.This is the only way that we have to go now.Thank you for taking us along with you.I wish that I could thank everyone that does this,but I am often unable.peewee-williams

4. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Big fish on light tackle is always a trip, way to go. I go after big carp with my ultra smallmouth set up all the time, landed a 17lber on 6lb test and ultra light with just a #2 hook and a split shot, boy was that one heck of a fight.

5. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Scott, I enjoyed your story. It sounds like you had a great day and a very good fishing trip.:big_smile:

6. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Here's are a couple of pics to go along with my story. Wnjoy!

Attached Files:

7. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    What a great outing for you & the kids!! Bet that they were really excited by that big cat!!! (Glad to see that they were wearing life jackets).

8. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    I ran into Paul (the guy who's boat we were in) coming out of the local sporting goods store. He had just stocked up on gammy circle hooks like I caught the fish on. Then tonight he came over looking to borrow my bank sinker mold. Looks like I may have hooked a bass fisherman onto catfish. We'll see.