You could hear a whistle as my head was deflated....

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by SubnetZero, Jun 26, 2006.

1. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Sunday afternoon, I was moping around the house because I wasn't able to make it to Catstock.. I told the wife I was going to go fishing at the neighborhood pond down the street. I've fished it a couple of times and have caught some pretty decent channel cats out of it, largest probably 5-6lbs. I don't really see anyone ever fishing it and I had never really taken the time to walk around it or check other areas out on it. The pond is surrounded by houses in the neighborhood (with an easement around the pond for access) and I know 1 of the guys that has a house the backs up to it. So I usually cut through his yard and just throw out there.
    Having just a couple of hours to fish, I wanted to make it the most productive. I took to the time to kinda walk around it a bit and really look it over. Trying to pick out a good spot, figure out the deep end, looking for any clues where the channels may be stacked up.
    I noticed a section with kind of a small mud flat that seemed to have somewhat of a drop off about 6 feet from the bank. There was a steady breeze and this was on the windblown side of the pond. This should be it I thought. I baited up my first rod, slapped a float on it so it would be a 3ft deep and threw out. I then threw two others out on each side fishing the bottom. I was thinking the float would be most productive, after what I seen when I was "reading the lake". About 10 minutes after throwing out, BAM! my float shot under and I set the hook. I reeled in a very nice 8lb channel.

After admiring it for a couple seconds I threw him back in and rebaited. The whole time I was mentally high fiving myself, patting myself on the back. "I read this place like book!!" " Haha, I'm shiznit I tell ya"... Pretty much, my head was growing bigger and bigger the more I thought about how I read the pond, the wind, etc...
    Meanwhile, I hadn't noticed, the guy that lives in the house I was behind come out and was walking up to me. I figured he was wanting to talk about the nice pair whiskers I just pulled out of there as I think most people in the neighborhood don't realize there are some pretty nice fish in this pond.
    "How you doing" he says
    "Great, just got out here and already caught a pretty nice one" I say
    "Ya, you should be able to catch all kinds right here, I feed em everyday around 2. They almost like pets, they see me come up next to the water they start gathering around waiting for me to throw the feed"...
    and thats when you could hear the whistle of my head.:embarassed:

2. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    ROFLMAO....dang man...that was an ego buster

3. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    At least you caught a decent one! Not bad if you ask me, now you just need to go there everyday around 2 in the after noon and catch some more!

Aaron

TA2D

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    LMAO, now ya know what time to go fish. hehehe

5. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    maybe I should start throwin' 'em feed at the river. lol nice post.

-Red

6. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    ya, unfortunately, he pretty much ruined that place for me :angry: Took the sport right out of it...

7. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Yea, Iknow what you mean. Try taking a loaf of bread to a pond and throwing whole slices tofeed the fish. I was catching some nice bluegills in a friends pond . He said you want to see a big catfish? he then threw the bread right in front of me, imean about 2ft infront. a 12lb channel came up and eat the bread. My head deflated like a balloon ffffbbbbsssttt!! He and his wife feed the fish evryday.