You caught how many?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by ratkinson, May 1, 2007.

1. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    :sure: As I read through some of the threads I come across the numbers of fish people catch per outing. Now I have had my days but is there some fisherman's equation I dont know about?
    Like for every 10 I say I catch subtract 3 for the actual number. I know we all have our stories but honestly what would say you average per trip?
    Just curious, I think my max in one night was 15 Channels but I usually only avg 3-5 Channels, it usually works out to about a catfish an hour....+ the various other fish I catch on my other pole. Am I officially catfish challenged ? Please weigh in on this.

Thanx
    Rich

2. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I usualy dont fish for channels or blues but I average 1 flathead per outing usualy a good size one but not always.I do however only fish with whole live shad so that decreases the chance of me catching much of anything but a flathead and I like it that way.

I do however always take a second rod to carp fish with and usualy catch 2-3 per trip.

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    well for me that would make it about -1 per outing, that means that Im paying them not to bite LOL

4. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Interesting question, once the water warms i probably average three to four channels a trip with a average weight of 7lbs. The most ive ever caught in one night was seven. The biggest ive ever caught in N.Y. was 12.7 lbs. Thats the whole truth and nothing but the truth.:big_smile:

5. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Most times I catch a mess to feed 4. Sometimes more, sometimes less.
    I do appreciate grocery store for those bad days. LOL.:eek:oooh:
    I got a catfish hole that we joke about. one every 40 hours. LMAO. I fish there most of the time cause its just the place to be. Old members might remember my pic's of my spot.
    it really Depends on how much effort I put into it. I'm a catfish eater and a relax fisherman . It's fun wetting a hook, camping, campfire.:cool2:

Some days produce more than I can handle and some dont. I enjoy just being there. Numbers or size dont mean a thing to me. But I'll admit, if a big one gets on, it somehow brings me to life. LOL.:big_smile:
    I like it all.
    I have caught so many that I got tired and then caught little enough to put me too sleep.
    Back in the day I made a must catch a fish type deal everytime I went fishing. Now. I just go. I mostly go for the atmosphere. Love the water. I love bank fishing over being in a boat. Love a campfire with lines out, walking around, messing with stuff or sitting in a lawn chair by the fire waiting on a bite and making me some strange noises.:smile2:

. With GrandKids growing up. All I care about is being outdoors with em. If we catch a fish so be it. If we don't, their grounded, after we go for a swim too cool off. Dang little bait getters didn't catch a meal for the camping trip. Means the old man has to cook hamburgers tonight. LMAO.:wink:
    I love and done many kinds of fishing. Never real good at it but had plenty of fun. I don knock how one goes for it or not. Doesn't matter. What matters is , I like the way I do it and same for others. I know one thing, I aint a problem on the fish population. LOL

Dang, I guess I got carried away some. When they biting, I reel em in and when there not, I still have fun talking stuff and stoking up the fire or just sitting in the quite. I dont count em but I think everytime I go, I catch one to 10 and sometimes 15, once in a blue moon, 25 limit out. And that may be bream included with throwing in the cold drink cans. LMAO.
    Now an then it takes 40 or more hours to catch one but sometimes, its before I can bait the hook. Other times, 0. :lol: LOL.

:0a23: :0a20: :0a22: :0a18:

6. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    thats a good question, if i'm looking bigger cats i will get fewer but if i want smaller ones in the 1-2 lb range i know right were to go we have a air system in the lake which all the shad school too, under the shad are the cats tons of them we have already got as many as 85 in a days time but once again they are small, but when i drift i will get larger cats in the 5lb+ range i get on an average 5-6 every time i go out, we only keep a few cats so if i want fun catching all day i take a high speed run over the bubbles and chum up the water and fish the air system with cut shad and as smaller hook, there are times when i am just in the wrong place and get zip. So far i have been doing well in my ventures in chase for the larger cats and in doing so my productivity has inprove

7. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    When I'm going after big flatties I usualy catch one or two nice ones in a trip, I think the most flatties I've ever caught in one trip was like five or six. When Im fishing for channels, I usualy catch about four, but I've had trips where I've caught over 20, I find that I usualy catch a larger number of cats when the river is up real high.

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Most we've ever caught was around 30, which we've done on two ocassions. We've caught over 10 Catfish a trip more times than I can count.

9. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    best trip i ever had i cought 13 flats from 3 to 10 lbs.most of my trips i end up empty handedbecause i fish a big bait which lets out most of the fish in the lake where i fish.i spet 10 days,from 2 till dark,without a bite.on day 11 i cought a real good fish.was it worth it.yes to me it was.

10. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I'd say that we average one cat every thirty minutes. Thats fishing for channels, blues, and flats. More blues than any. Some nights we average more and there are those other nights when you just sit there without a bite.

11. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Don't often post when I get skunked....but will report on the good days:big_smile:

12. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    In NJ I usually averaged 10 to 15 in a night and me and my father have had some nights I would say were in the 30s or more with multiple channels pushing ten pounds and even into the 20s. The spot I fished was above average and was shown to me by a friend who was very reluctant to give it up and made me swear to the lord himself I would not show many people. I have shared the location with a few members and my father but I dont see the harm in a couple members giving it a shot here and there. This spot will be the one thing that I will miss about Jersey other than family

13. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I can relate to this :big_smile:

But we're aiming for the bigger blues, so that's okay. Jigging for sand bass while waiting (and waiting...and waiting...and....) keeps me occupied.

14. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    I count myself lucky if I catch any. I think I've been skunked a bit more than half the time, and the most I've caught in one sitting is three. I fish from the bank for planted fish.

-- Rich

15. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Depends on the kind of cats and the size:

Flatheads - usually fish from dusk until 2 AM (give or take a couple of hours) and I probably average about 4.

Channels - only one river I target them and 12 is a great day, 5 or 6 is more average (with a similar number of small blues mixed in).

Blues - I know places I could go and catch a bunch of little guys (under 2 pounds), but if I go target big fish, I might only catch 2 fish all day, and might or might not get a good one.

Hope this helps.

Sounds to me like you are right in there.

16. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Oklahoma's regs allow 15 combined channel/blue cats and 10 flatheads of a minimum length of 20 inches. I have not even came close to limiting out. Guess I never will as I don't keep the fish anyhow. LOL

17. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I agree with Aweshucks. Unless you consider all the tiny fish, I've only hit the limit once that I know of, and that was with trotlines. 4 ppl, 1 night, 20 bluecats, and 14 channel cats, all between 3 and 20 lbs, with 2 being 35+. That is not normal for me/us. On rod and reel, I know of times I've caught 50 or more small channels, but most were not keepers. The best I've ever done on rod and reel was 8 channel cats between 3 and 10 pounds from 1 rod in about an hour and a half. I rarely get skunked, but normal, if there is a norm, it's about 3 or 4 keepers on rod and reel, and maybe 10 or 12 if I run lines.

18. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    I usually stop fishing when the weight of all the fish is about to sink the boat:wink: . That's usually about 30-45 minutes after I launch the boat:tounge_out:

Seriously though, this year I have sucked. I'm averaging around 1.5 fish per outing on the year.

Jon