you cant eat gar

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by tyler123, Jun 9, 2008.

1. tyler123

tyler123 New Member

State:
    georgia
    do gar have any meat? i have know idea that you can eat them

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yes, you can eat them.

Years ago I saw directions in Field & Stream or Sports Afield, something like that, on how to clean a gar. It involved a hack saw and a hatchet and some tin snips! Too much work for me. I have heard that they are pretty good, though.

Don't eat the roe, though - it's poisonous!

3. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    just take a pair of tin snips all the way down the back right thru the middle and pull it apart, then fillet off the meat on both sides, no need to gut it or anything!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    What am I always reading about rolling the guts? Every recipe I see says something like roll the guts. I, personally, will have to be starving to eat a gar.. I relate them to the movie ALIVE. They ate eachothers A$$ as they died off. Gotta be pretty hungry, right.

5. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i know a guy who uses a skill saw to cut them open with. i know a buch of old timers in oklahoma that eat gar . they say they are better than blue or channel cat. i'll stick with blues,trout and crappie.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Actually Gar eat pretty well.mostly live or FRESH dead fish .......JUST like cats. I have tried it. I say its pretty close to paddlefish ,good hot ,cottony to me when it gets cold.

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
  8. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Cut the fish in half just behind the dorsal fin and then cut his tail off about a half inch into the meat. Roll this in news paper and set it on the floor in front of your favorite rocking chair. Place your foot on it and roll it back and forth. The meat will roll out of the skin. Clean this up a little and cut into half inch steak nuggets, fry as usual. Good eating and something to teach the kids. I learned this while stationed in Texas in the eighties.:wink:

9. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    When i lived in texas these spanish folks tought me how to skie and prepear and it good hot but sucks when it get's cold

10. Creaz93

Creaz93 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've read somewhere that gar tastes really good... if prepared right of course...

11. river cat

river cat New Member

State:
    Yukon Ok
    Jeremy's post showed a site giving directions how to clean gar and one for a recipe for gar balls. I have cleaned gar a very semilar way, except I nailed the head to a tree and used a hack saw and game shears. Never eat any, just used it for trout line bait. However, a friend of mine cut it into strips like fish sticks rolled them in mixture of flour and corn meal then deep fried them . He said it was better than channel cat! I have heard fired gar ball are a Cajun orgin. I will try it the next time I get a gar.

12. youngbuck

youngbuck New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Last year we caught one and just threw it on the fire on cut along the belly and just pulled the meat out of it and ate it.

13. JRicker

JRicker New Member

State:
    Tenessee
    Cleaning them sounds like an awful loft of work:sad2:

14. cat-chaser

cat-chaser New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've heard someone say that the best way to clean a gar is to 1st wrap it in aluminum foil & freeze it, then take it out and cut it open & peel the skin off. Its said to make it easier. There are people in NE Louisiana that swear by this.

15. swampeast

swampeast New Member

State:
    swampeast, MO
    They are fine eatun' if you can keep em alive til u clean em , then just use an electric fillet knife and fillet 'em like you would any fish. There is really just one bone along the top of there back. Infact we had a fish fry at our duck lodge and cooked gar and cat and the gar was gane way before the cat and people were wanting more!