You can't always get what you want!

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Flamekeeper, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Man I've been waiting for this custom 8' 6" 2pc Med/Hvy Casting it seems like forever, received it Thursday and opened up the tube and got to looking at it,everything looked great.nice 14" cork rear grip, alps triangle reel-seat, 8" cork fore grip, on a Rain shadow Musky blank.

Did you hear me mention the guides? Well the builder called me about 2 months ago and ask me if I wanted a casting trigger reel seat or straight spinning!!.I prefer a reel seat with-out the trigger and that was that , until I saw my rod !( which turned out to be 8' ). :confused2: It had ( A Frame Zirconia guides instead of casting ):crazy: and upon looking at the rod more closely it was indeed built as a spinning rod.:sad2::sad2:

Put my new reel on it, It set low on the rod and looked and felt good, except the line goes up from the reel and lays on the guides all the way down the blank,Which means constant line pressure, big no-no.with a hook holder sticking straight up ready for your line to wrap around. very disappointed ..

Cancelling check and sending it back Monday//Going to try to get it re-done.

man this rod was balanced.. going to try again

2. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    (The rod was 8' 6'').still shaking my head on this one.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Kenny one hates that when it happens. You have your hopes up, it arrives, you open the tube and a big let down. Your spending the money so get what you want. I don't blame you for sending it back. I would ask that builder to call and communicate with me about half way through. Good Luck.:big_smile:

4. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Wasn't from Tom, was it?????????

5. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

Yep.

Man I want this rod.and some more like it,for 186.+ it's got to be redone, somebody there made a bad mistake .thats all I can say.

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Sorry to hear about the troubles, good luck getting it fixed to your likeing.

7. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

Hea ,Tea ,how did you end up likeing that rod from Jim, He said he was going to cut you a check for something, right after you got it ,I figured something was'nt right. I was going to have him build one but he never got back with me after several Mess/e,mails and phone calls.. He still in the Bus?>

8. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Kenny I think that Jim is working with his brother till he gets well that is why he has not been on the boards for a while. In the prayers section there is a thread where Tea has been keeping everyone pretty updated with the situation.

9. RandyH

RandyH New Member

State:
    VA
    SORRY FOR THE MISHAP ALOT OF GUYS OUT THERE MAKING OTHERS LOOK BAD ..... PRIVATE MESSAGE ME I CAN HELP YOU OUT WITH SOMETHINGS

10. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    The rod is awesome buddy, he just felt bad it took a little longer then he expected. The factory had a problem with their blanks so he got one elsewhere. I would reccomend one, but, he has alot on his hands right now with his brother and such.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. But, the rod was awesome!!!

11. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Well Mickey I done just that, got in touch with him and he agree's that is was built wrong and will rebuild it for me ,,This rod here will be sent back and he will resell it to another customer that fish's spinning gear.

He is going to build me another just like it , But built for Casting this time.

Praise the Lord. I sure hope it gets here quicker than the first,I want to catch fish with it before the years out.:smile2:

12. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Tea There will be no luck about it Tom is a man of His word and I will personally garantee He will make this right with Kenny in the end. The
    Rod Shop hand builds 100's of rods each year and they are only human, mistakes happen.

Randy,
    Easy there Cowboy, I don't think You have any idea what or who you are talking about. Tom and Troy of The Rod Shop put out ONLY first class work. Tom alone has over 40 years of rod building experence. I am assured that this was an honest mistake, and although Kenny will be inconvinenced, He will have exactly what He wants in the end. The Rod shop builds rods for some of the biggest names in tournamnent catfishing, do John Jamison or Phil King ring any bells??? The Rod Shop has set the standard in catfishing rods. I'm sure there are some fly by night rod builders out there but Tom and Troy aren't one of them.

13. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    It's a shame they goofed on your rod Kenny, but I'm sure you will be happy in the end. I'm waiting on my fourth rod from them now, they sure have set the standard for me!

14. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I've got all my rods wrapped with bright orange thread. With just the anchor light on, they literally glow in the dark!

Attached Files:

15. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

Boy my bro would love to have one or two of those right there Doug.hes a night fisherman and if he seen that he probably sell his truck to get one :smile2::smile2::smile2:

And thanks to you both Brad and Doug, For I know Tom will build me one Heck of a rod..I know !!! because I going to send one back that will drag in a mule :wink: man that thing is sweet,balanced,,umumum.

16. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Doug those rod threads look really nice. Got me to thinkin (thats dangerous).
    Can a guy get some flo. or solar colored wraps? I'm thinking green to match my line.

17. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Troy, I think they can get about any color you want. My rod builder did have flourescent green thread.

18. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    there for a minute some posts were missing and Iwas going to ask about them ,,but they popped up as soon as I posted, so I edited it to tell you why/ Sorry guys.