You can use any fish for bait here in ohio

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, May 17, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This question keeps coming up time and again thru the years in the Ohio forum.

Answer, you can use any legally caught fish for bait here in Ohio, bass , walleye, any game fish can be use for bait as long as you caught in legally.

In the rivers it dont matter about size either, but you could come onto a problem fishing a lake.

Say you caught a 10 inch largmouth for bait in a pond, then tried to use it for bait in a lake with a 16 inch size restretion..If cuaght you could be fined.

Just make sure you are using bass of legal size of lakes with size retrictions.

2. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    He speaks the truth.

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It will be brought up time and time again Jack. You did however err in your explanation, specifically concerning rivers. There is a size limit set. For instance, if you are using more than one channel cat over 28" for shovel head bait, then you would be breaking the law! :eek:oooh::crazy::smile2::smile2::smile2:

4. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land

Nice post, I wanna see the shovelheads that catches!:wink:

5. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    They should make this into a sticky with bold lettering LOL

6. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    There is one regulation that possibly makes using cut baits(of any fish) illegal. "It is unlawful to clean fish or possess fillets while on or at a body of water."...........Not only does this seem to make cut baits illegal, but fish fries at the lake/river, and fish camps.

Any comments/ideas on this one???? Cut baits have always been one of the favorite baits for catching channel cats.

7. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Yea I'd say you have a good point on a 28" channel lets fry that baby! Now the cut bait illegal may just well be as it sounds so maybe the rules need to be clarified just a little clear lol,,
    Did anyone go take the survey from the odnr?

8. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Not quite right Jack. In the Maumee smallmouths are closed season May 1st until the last friday in June and there is a size limit below Providence dam.

9. x smokin joe

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Cut bait is not cleaned fish or fillets.

10. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    I'm aware, but I think it also depends alot on any particular DNR officers interpretation, what does the DNR officer checking your fishing license consider "cleaning" or a "fillet"........ this could use a little clarification and needs to be worded a little more clearly.

Cleaning a fish is defined as "preparing a fish for consumption"....... doesn't necessarily have to mean "human consumption"..... the problem is, if a DNR officer wanted to be an a*s and press the issue, or if he wasn't very knowledgable, he could interpret it however he sees fit...... sure you could probably win the case in court, but who wants to go to court???

I gotta be honest, I get a little nearvous anytime I've got some cut fish laying out and see a p&r truck drive by

11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Check out the Ohio Revised Code. Most fishing regulations are there, some I'll wager you have never heard of.
    Here is their definition,“Fillet” means the pieces of flesh taken or cut from both sides of a fish, joined to form one piece of flesh.
    (KK) “Part fillet” means a piece of flesh taken or cut from one side of a fish.
    (LL) “Round” when used in describing fish means with head and tail intact.
    The purpose of no fillets on the water is solely to identify fish. If you go over your limit on a certain specie then a officer wouldn't be able to tell what kind of fish you had if the skin and head were gone, then again how could they know how many you already ate... Cut bait is fine, I like the heads best. Any officer can tell what kind of bass it is and the number by how many heads or tails I have. It just makes their job a little easier. I would love to have a shore lunch, but unscrupulous fishermen ruined it for all of us...And remember, our game officers have a lot more important things to do besides showing up in court to argue lame charges.:wink:

12. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    YOU ARE "RIGHT ON" Jack ... I didn't feel like getting into the discussion.... :wink: .... Garry-

13. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Well, also because it's much easier to judge the size of the fish when it is fully intact, which would help prevent people from trying to get around size limits.

No doubt that the law is intended to keep people from trying to sneek around the limits, and no doubt it was people taking more than their fair share that shot us in the foot..... I just think it could be worded a little more clearly.

In a way I wish you would have.... being a retired DNR Officer, who would know better than you how something like that would have been handled?

14. brandonbtbt

brandonbtbt New Member

State:
    Cambridge, OH
    i wish the fishing regulations pamphlet we get in ohio would clarify this issue

15. Catfish-fever

Catfish-fever New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well, the fishing regulations paper does refer you to the ORC and specifies the specific section to read. I say just stick with shad, suckers, chub and the like for bait. There are plenty of them. I think it kinda selfish to use bass or walleye for bait when they are targeted by so many fishers. Learn to throw a cast net and catch all the bait fish you can handle. Or use another game fish that is very abundant... Blue gill. Take the kids out bluegill fishing during the day and stick them in the bait bucket to go flathead fishing with the guys later.

16. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would like to see this specifically spelled out on a odnr pamphlet or something...It would be nice to carry around and show the warden or whomever wants to hassle you that its legal...

17. Catfish-fever

Catfish-fever New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think the DNR needs to establish slot limits on all "game fish" species. I think being able to take as many crappie as you want is rediculous. Just as I think using a 1 pound plus bass for bait is rediculous. Yet, a big shovel head will eat a bass like that, but there are plenty of 1 pound plus shad or suckers out there that work just as well. Creek chubs are very plentiful and are like catfish candy. Preserve the bass for the anglers that target those fish. Not only is it preserving a sport, but that bass is a predator for those bothersome dinks we all hate to catch.

18. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    I think you'll find that most of us prefer bluegill, bullhead, or suckers for bait... if anyone's actually using 1 pound + bass, they're probably doing it out of spite.....

Not sure you're aware, but as far back as I can remember there's always been sortof a long running *war* between catfishermen and bass fishermen, bass fishermen will often leave catfish out on the banks to die because they don't like them tearing up their lures, many bass fishermen still consider cats to be a "trash" fish, and consider anyone who fishes for them to be "trash" as well........ this of course isn't true of all bass fishermen, but there are still those who feel this way.

19. x smokin joe

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    I would use a 1lb bass for bait any chance I got. I would use a 2,3,4 and 5 lb bass too. Bait is bait. Ain't no spite to it.

20. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio

And judging by the size of that fish in your avatar, you'd probably catch a whale with it, you have to admit though, bass aint a real common bait.