You can set circle hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Fl.catman, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Fl.catman

Fl.catman New Member

State:
    Fl
    Using Circle Hooks
    The first thing we all heard about circle hooks was "they set themselves". The first thing we are taught is "you can't set a circle hook". What I have found it that both of those statements are half truths.

Circle hooks set themselves if enough pressure is applied from line tension. Circle hooks are not designed for over head hook sets like most hook styles. These two statements I think are more fitting for circle hooks.

The one thing you don't want to do is try to set a circle hook over head.

The best way to use C.H. are in a rod stand and let the fish load the rod... Once the rod is under load the hook will set it's self. Then remove rod from stand keeping tip up and begin to reel.

Without a stand and on days with light bites is were knowing how to set a C.H. comes in handy for me. I played with C.H. many hours trying to learn how to set them. Because I just knew there had to be away to set the dang things.

Without a stand watch your line if the fish heads left. place the rod at about 10:00 and rotate the rod to the right slow and steady using a "a sideways sweep" without lifting or lowering the tip. Once line is tight begin to reel. After a few cracks of the reel I like to give the rod a light tug to insure hook set. If the fish is headed Right rotate to the left using the same steps as above. If the fish is head away from you step to one side or the other and use steps above. You don't have to be far to one side or the other just enough to angle the line to the side. In cases were a fish heads right toward me I just take up slack and wait for the fish to go left or right and then I set the hook by rotating the opposite way.

With a Float you can use the steps above but give the fish a second or two after float goes under before setting the hook. I found that often times the fish will pull the float under but not have the hook in it's mouth. By giving them a second or two gives them time to take more of the bait and hook into their mouth.

I have gotten so use to setting them this way I find myself rotating my whole body rather then the rod. I have tried this with many brands of C.H. of all sizes & styles. So far they have all worked fairly well in this manner.

One other thing I do is wax the tips of my hooks by pushing the tip into a chuck of wax. The wax works as a waterproof lube and helps the hook set. I do this with all hook styles not just circle hooks.

2. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I might like to add, that the circle hooks I use have offset barbs. IMHO, they greatly improve the hookup ratio.

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    your right, but the team circals do better with that mthed, i set mine realy hard on the 42 pounder in my album,good thread

4. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    thank you!!!!!!! i have told many of my friends this and they still try to set the hook over the head and have missed fish and gave up on circles! maybe if they read your post they will understand maybe i wasnt wrong after all!

5. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    Great post !!!!!!!!!!!!!! d84z diaiichis you can use either way also

6. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    i dont use circle hooks because i just like to set the hook myself i have used circles and just didnt like em at all

7. 2quikmotorwerks

2quikmotorwerks New Member

State:
    murda valley CA
    diaichi= team catfish

8. Fl.catman

Fl.catman New Member

State:
    Fl
    I use all type of hooks J -K & Circles. I think they all have there place & time depending on where and what I'm fishing for.

9. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I absolutely agree. I set the hook when needed, let the rod load up when possible, and also reel down. Just depends on the fish. I will set the heck out of it and I catch my fair share.

10. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use octopus circle hook because I prefer the corner mouth hook ups so I can always release the fish in good shape. Since I only bank fish and use 12' casting rods which I cast as far as possible, I seriously doubt from 80 or so yards, if I set a hook as hard as I can, the fish will feel anything.