You can no longer fish with natural bait in county of residence...

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Catgirl, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Now this won't affect us die-hard fishermen/women who purchase a license every year anyhow, but I thought some wives/girlfriends/older children/in-laws/parents might be affected - if they go on an occasional fishing trip with ya in your county of residence! Here's what it says on the NC wildlife site.

Beginning January 1, 2007, any person 16 and older fishing in NC's public waters (excluding private ponds) must have a fishing license. Additionally, anglers fishing with natural bait (i.e. worms, cricket, etc.) will no longer be able to fish in public, inland waters in their county of residence without a license. In 2005, the General Assembly passed new legislation that repealed the "natural bait exemption", which allowed people to fish in public, inland fishing waters in their county of residence without a fishing license as long as they were fishing with natural bait.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg01_License/pg1_NBE.pdf

2. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    People with low incomes that cant afford to buy a licsence can apply for a pass from wildlife to fish in their co. of residence with live. I asked an officer about some of the retired people around here that live on a fixed income. Thankes for the post.

3. Catzilla2

Catzilla2 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Like you said Catgirl, it really will not affect most of us because I always buy me a sportsman liscense right before deer season starts every year, so I am always liscensed anyhow. But I can see where it could affect those who have always fished in thier own county of residence with natural bait. And unless someone tells them otherwise, they probably never read the regulations book and therefore would be in violation out of ignorance. If you hadn't published your post (thank you!), I wouldn't have known ethier. So, I hope that the wildlife officers will give them warnings at first.

4. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    The agents do give you about 2 weeks to comply with the new law. I asked one last weekend. I swear I have to keep my stuff good-to-go becasue I swear they know exactually where I am at. Everytime they find me, even when im back in a cove or something.

5. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well thats good for the state bad for poor folks here in oklahoma they are trying to get a law past that if your american indian you dont need a hunting or fishing licence I hope this passes im tired of payin to fish and hunt on my native land.

6. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'm glad I bought my lifetime license. best $500 investment i have made. Don't have to go through the hassle every year to buy them or forget they run out. Plus they mail me my deer tags every year to my door. You figure at $40 a year 13 years there paid for. I look for them to go up to 45 per year here soon. been a while since they went up on license.

7. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hey Michael, did you buy your lifetime sportsman's license prior to January 1, 2006? If so, you are grandfathered in for coastal recreational fishing.

There are a slew of new licenses/combos available.....just coastal, just state inland, specifically county fishing. The price on the lifetime licenses are the same as last year ($250), unless you want CRF (coastal recreational fishing) combined with the regular lifetime fishing, then it's $450. A lifetime sportsman is still $500, but if you combine it with CRF it's $675.

Check 'em out at www.ncwildlife.org. (A complete listing is available under the "BUY" icon, just click on purchase license on the first and second pages, then resident, and it will take you to the list.)

8. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    yep i got mine before so im grandfathered in thank goodness!

9. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    I wish I would have bought mine before. Just got mine this year for my birthday from the wife.