You Bring The Bait, I'll Bring The Beer!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Jan 28, 2010.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    How many of you have a tough time dealing and deciding who is gonna bring what when planning a fishing trip? I have two close friends that I have grown up with, and known my entire life. One of them is pretty layed back, and more than willing to help with whatever. But my other friend ( best-friend/ best man in my wedding) always trys to take the easy way out! Hell, he is a school teacher and has the summers off when im out paving 60 hours a week! He moans and groans when asked a week in advance to go get bait etc. I have the boat, I have the bait tank, pretty much everything. Then, if I can get his sorry arse to get a few bait, which let me add..... Usually is a handfull of bait, and we end up ALL going morning of to get more bait to have enough!! He moans about gas money etc. Let's just say it is always quite eventfull. And, we usually argure throughout the night over stuff just to rib each other. Anyone else have a best-friend, or friend that wants to take the easy road? Don't get me wrong, I have no problem inviting those to go, and don't expect them to do anything but show if invited! But, when dealing with one that you fish with nearly every trip and for years, do you have a friend thats a "mooch"? :laugh: rollo

PS.... I got a kick out of T-bull and catcrazed conversation last night, got me laughing and thinking of who I fish with. Ain't fishing fun, and memorable even if you wanna punch your fishing partner in the mouth? LMAO!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I guess I'm lucky because the ones I fish with always bring bait, offer to pay for gas and everything else.

The way I look at it is if I invite some one to go its my treat, the more they offer to do the more times I will invite them. I buy the gas and what I drink/eat, If they bring bait thats good enough.

3. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It is never hard for me. I bring everything and they bring the pain in my @ss.

4. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    If I invite someone along, I have no expectations from them. I was most likely planning to go, whether they joined in or not, so I already have everything ready, or planned out. Boat fuel, on me, travel fuel, on me...I usually have enough food/drink for a couple of people too. Not to mention terminal tackle. Plus, for a couple of my friends/family, I even supply the rods/reels.

Now, if they ask me to take them out it's a different story. They should feel obligated to help out in some way. More than just anchor duty.

My favorite fishing buddy is my father. He's not extremely old, but he has many health issues and doesn't get around too good. I usually wait on him hand and foot, but have a blast doing so. Sometimes I even have to reel in his fish, because his grip is not that great anymore and he has trouble getting something with weight all the way back to the boat. Heck, many times I have to cast his Ambassadeurs for him, along with baiting his hook. I figure that he did it for me at one time, so it's my turn to pay back. But, I have no expectations from him as for contributing to the trip...unless he asks for the trip. Then, father or not, he should help out in some way...and he always does with no question. He's the same way with me. When he used to invite me out with him on his boat, he tried his best to make me put my wallet away.

5. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    When I take my dad out he won't even help getting the boat in the water LOL. He sits there on the bank drinking a coffee until I have the boat ready and loaded up in the water.

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

Them teachers love to take the easy way out!:rolleyes:

You have to realize we are not used to waking up early during the summer months. Everyday is saturday and sunday during the summer if you are a teacher.

Your friend obviously does not have his heart into flatheading! A real flathead fisherman is always thinking about getting bait and where to fish that night.

Get some hard-core flathunting friends and you won't have issues no more.

7. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    i usually dont have a problem with that, matt likes to catch bait, he does that better than catfishing:wink:lol, but i usually pay for gas and supply boat so it all good anyways

8. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    I definetly have friends like that but not when it comes to fishing. I actually quit taking friends out tubing because of this issue. Don't know if anyone has catered and shofered a boatfull of people around for a nice relaxing day on your boat but it sucks. I know they werent doing it on purose but Ill be the first one to tell ya a day like that is EXPENSIVE! I always tried to have the boat ready when everyone got there and truck had enough gas. At the end of the day its no problem to be in the hole 80 bucks or so.

Here is the way I see it. If I am ever, ever invited on anothers boat I will always try to give more than my half for fuel. Its funny to because when I go fishing with Travis he I can tell he always feels bad when I hand him money. Lets get this straight, you supply the truck to pull the boat, fishing equipment, and a boat that has tons of money wrapped up in it. I think 25 or 30 bucks is the least I can do! Travis, you should stop feeling bad about taking my money. There will be a day when you go out with me on my boat and Im telin ya right now............ Im gonna enjoy taking your money..:handshake:

Anyways, I think if you are dealing with dedicated fishermen you wont have these problems. For others they just don't understand how expensive a trip can be. Ill be honest if it werent for fuel costs My friends could come along with me at no cost all the time but gas is just expensive when your buying 20 or 30 gallons at a time.

9. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I always figured fishin partners were just what the word implys, partners. I've bass fished with a man here for over 10 years. We've always run his boat because he's always had nicer rig than mine but we always split entry fees, gas, motel rooms etc. Have given each other tons of baits over the years and generally try to help each other. When it's time to wash and wax the boat, i don't snivel and whine. I helped get it dirty, i'll help clean it up. I've been tearing down a bunch of his reels this week and cleaning them but he'll make it right one way or the other. He'll pull his weight and expects the same from me. Were partners

10. Catfish_Rob

Catfish_Rob New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    I laughed when I read this post. Most of the people on here are probably like you and always have to accommodate their friends. I am usually so happy I can actually get people to come with me that I go ahead and get the bait and drive and end up teaching them how to rig their lines and fish too. On the other hand, I have friends that are also teachers and they are frugal as hell. At the same time, if you need someone to fish with that always brings beer and bait, just ask me haha. Don't expect me to know how to drift fish though.

11. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Honestly this is a huge part of the reason I don't fish Tournaments regularly. It just is not that fun when you have to pay for the boat, get all the bait, have all the gear, get everything ready and then your partner decided he doesn't want to fish it the day before. I have even fished a tourny with my dog as my partner but she didn't help much either. I think I did come in 4th missed 3rd by a lb or so.

12. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Well if i invite someone then thats cool an i will say what you need ,usallly happy if they get there end .gas is on me where i live close to the ramp an have 4 stoke motor 3 gallons of gas gets me there an back.
    Bait is always my big deal .An if i was working an had plan to fish that night or weekend an had to catch the bait because best friend was lazy .then i would try some one else.

13. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    In my opinion, the responsibility lies in the invitation. How you ask or invite someone to fish with you is crucial to a proper and understood response. Things like splitting cost should be discussed before any other plans are solidified. Don't let assumptions and expectations ruin a good outing, causing feelings of remorse on both parties part. Rules of etiquette don't stop at the ramp or river bank! When you invite some one to do something, you are taking on all responsibility for the event, what ever it is. If I invite you for dinner at my house, I certainly don't expect you to bring the food. As the invitee, you have an option of being gracious and bringing something with you, or not, thus divulging your character and influencing your host as to how long it will be till you are asked again. If you make the request of accompanying some one, then the very least you should do, is shoulder the basic cost of your inclusion, that is your responsibility. One very important aspect of this subject is "ability", does the person you invite have the ability, financially or physically, to do what you expect of them? I believe that ninety nine percent of all ruined or uncomfortable fishing experiences could have been entirely avoided with just a few minutes of meaningful conversation.:winky:

14. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    well since steve injured his shoulder i already know what bait is going to be there. Because i will be the one bringing it:cowboy:

15. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    I usually set my trips up at least a week in advance and whoever is going with me already knows what they are responsible to bring. Once the season gets going bait is no problem, we save whats left from each trip and it goes into the bait tank at home. Also my son loves to catch bait for me.
    As for gas, my house is on the way to the river for everyone I fish with and we usually meet at my house and I drive. I figure that is fair. If we are fishing from the boat I can run all night on 2 gallons of gas and I always have it ready and premixed and can afford the cost. It is helping get the boat in and out of the water and loaded and unloaded that I want the help.
    Beer and food. I have a beer or two every couple of months. I don't take beer with us fishing and the ones I fish with never take more than a 6 pack, we are going fishing, not drinking. Food is a free for all, If someone brings food it's there for everyone.
    I have the moocher problem with one of the guys I have hunted with for 30 years. If he drives he makes sure to hit everyone up for gas money, if someone else drives he never has any money. This past muzzle loader season one of us drove and when we stopped everyone pitched in, except him. He said he didn't have any money to spend on gas. He brought his lunch and when we ran to town to eat, he ate his lunch on the way there. Then went into McDonald's and ate again, after not having money for gas. That gets old and if I hadn't known this guy 35 years it would have been his last trip with us.

16. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Always had that issue when fishing with my brother. We would both start out catching bait. Then never fails to quit and sit down and say: your better at catching bait than I am. And he usually loses half the bait to bad casts and it flying off the hook. I do make him carry the bucket and the beer though. Which is a lil' easier on me. Another ting he does that irritates the hell out of me. Is no matter what rod is getting a bite. He's quick to jump up and steal it. The one and only time I did'nt give him hell for it. Was when he grabbed my one rod on his birthday and landed a nice Flat that should've been mine.

On the other note when fishing with somone else. I try to catch alot of bait the day before. So that we have plenty and can get straight to fishing without any time loss...

17. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think along the same lines as Jack... if I invite you along, then it's on me (even though I'll probably ask you to get shad! lol).... the way I look at it, I've ridden along with others enough without them taking any money that it's sort of my way of keeping things level...

Karma, ya know.

18. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO

DO THAT TWICE AND U WON'T BE A FREIND OR RELATIVE... TO MANY OF THOSE KIND OUT THERE NOW.

19. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    If i go fishing with some one like that 1 time i will let it slid but 2 times, let me just say they won't be a 3rd time!!!!

20. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    SO FAR I HAVE HAD GOOD LUCK TAKING OUT OTHERS FISHING, THEY HELPED WITH THINGS, AND WHERE GREAT TO FISH WITH, SHOWED U THINGS THAT U MIGHT NOT KNEW. JUST HAD A GREAT TIME, AND WOULD DO IT AGAIN.