you bank fisherman got it goin on!

Discussion in 'Bank Fishing' started by Steve Douglas, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    as im reading the threads and post on this new bank fishin topic, ive come to realize that you bank guys are truly some hardcore catters! you go through alot just to be able to fish. true to your sport! grass roots fishin! thats were it all starts.
    as im reading your post though, it brings back some of my best memories that ive lost! i can remember going to the extremes also, packing all my fishing gear down a lil trail a mile off the beaten path, sometimes cutting my own path, and luvin every minute of it, while anticipating a great day of fishing!

i can remember treckin the muddy river bank, settin up all my poles not gettin much action, but constantly lookin up or down my small river only to see another spot that looks even better, eventually movin down river to set up at that spot, only to see another even better spot, next thing you know ive packed all my gear down river 2 miles! i remember fishing for catfish, but sometimes i would catch some big drums and huge carp, but hey! i still loved the fight!

bank fisherman today have more obstacles in there way, than i did 30 years ago! i feel your pain! the times and land owners have changed! finding places to fish thats not beat to death is hard, getting permission to fish a spot and pickin up after another guys mess so he dont ruin it for everyone else. you totally have my respect and im sure glad to see the passion determination and hard work of bank fisherman still lives strong! you bank fisherman got it goin on!

i look forward to reading your tips and tricks for bank fishin,

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I love bank fisherman, I know how to catch em from the bank! :smile2:

3. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I love bank fishing, but it is a lot of work for me. I only fish in the rivers around here, and unfortunately the spots requiring the most walking with the most current and snags are the best spots. Catching fresh bait is also a never ending problem. But I sure like to get set up by daybreak and start watching the river come alive. Finding good spots are much harder now than when I was younger, more areas of the river are being blocked off. I am also always trying to figure a better way to travel lighter. I have had boats over the years and I do know bank fishing is cheaper, but I am not sure if it is easier.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    About the only draw back to bank fishing here is fishing weekends when there is a bass tourny :angry: Those guys have nerve,But I have my own way of dealing with that.:wink: Other wise,Its pure fishing,No hi tech elecrtonics,Just me and the fish.:big_smile:

5. Steve Douglas

State:
    Kentucky

well put richard! the real deal!

6. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Thanks brotha, i got to bank fish for some bass yesterday and it was great

7. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i have a boat but 80% of my cattin is done from the bank, there are only a few boat ramps along the river and bank access is just easier. for some reason i always seem to do better off the bank anyway

8. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    even if I owned a boat I'd still bank fish 95% of the time

9. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I consider myself very fortunate to have a clean lake near by me that is in a State Park and stocked full of eater sized channel cats by the MI DNR. Nobody is ever there on weekdays, and I get to pick my spot basically without any competition or fear of trespassing, even on weekends. I'm not going to catch the size of fish that I could in the nearby river, but its far less work for a boatless guy like me and a lot less to hike, even if I decide to fish the back side of the lake. And there are outhouses nearby if I need one! This place has become my heaven on earth, my favorite place to spend time. There are some nice fish in that lake too, I have heard the stories from other locals, seen the Master Angler reports on the DNR webpage, and I have caught one myself. The opportunity exists if I should choose to target them.

10. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Great post Steve...W

11. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Mr. Steve, Moster Rod Holders gotta come up with a design for bank fisherman..

12. mattr

mattr New Member

State:
    PA
    I second this, it would be awesome for a bank fishing monster rod holder.

GREAT IDEA

13. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I'll third that with you guys!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  14. Steve Douglas

State:
    Kentucky
    well guys i would love to come up with a good rod holder for you guys, but bps and cabelas already have them for less than 10 bucks! so it would be hard to compete with that unless i had an edge! i know the holders at bps's are just simple rod holders but im open to suggestions on what you guys are lookin for in a bank fishing rod holders, ive been stewing on this for awhile, i think my my # 1 priority would be strength and stability of the rod holder when secured to the ground! but what else am i missing or you would like to see!

15. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Steve give some consideration to a multi purpose base. In some cases one can not be secured to the ground. A Monster Bank Rod Holder is a great idea.

16. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use 2" galvanized pipe cut at a 45 on one end and a sledge hammer

17. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    like mike said a universal base would be nice if possible and something that's fairly light and portable. some places are a nice walk off of the road and you can drive a steak in the ground and the other ones are just to rocky to get anything in the ground. As long as a big flattie can't rip it in the river when I'm tight lining I'm good with it. I've seen and tried some of the pvc homemade holders and 1 they break easy and 2 they're heavy and cumberson 3 they don't work in all of the fishing situations. If you come with anything let me know I'm tired of pilling up rocks and searching for Y sticks :big_smile: to hold my rods

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  18. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Something that will hold 2 - 3 rods, collapse easily enough to fit into a bucket/bag/what have you, and quick to set up. Be able to drive it into the ground, or set rocks on something to weigh it down. I can think of some great blueprints of a system that will hold 2 - 3 rods, and collapse down into 5 - 6 pieces and be able to easily transport. And only take 3 - 6 minutes of setup time.

I think that'd be sweet. :wink: Until then, I'll stick to my PVC and 12 inch galvanized spike into the ground.

19. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Check out some of the carping setups..course..a carp will pull them in if they aint secure lol./.i think thats why bill bellacek invented clickers in the superbowl

20. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Those pole holders from BPS and Cabelas suck. The cat in my profile pic uprooted one of those set ups. So now I have a set up from the library with rebar,2" pvc and hose clamps. I got to know my pole is secure after that incident. Back to the original subject. The bank fisherman does deserve props. Its not easy out there, unless you can jus back your truck up to the water, which is never the case. Im glad the bank fishing section came around, there is going to be alot of good knowledge comeing out of here.