Yote Gun

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by billNpam, Mar 9, 2009.

1. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I am looking for your recommendations on the best yote gun. I was thinking of either a 223 or 243.

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I use a 22/250 with hand loads. longest shot so far was 427 yds. Had a 223 but another guy wanted more than I did. I like all of them. I think I will stick with the 22/250. Has a little more range.

3. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I'm with Jim, I use the 22-250 quite often. If I had to choose between the 223 and 243 I'd take the 243. I have all three and use them often. The 243 can be used for deer and varmints and is a little more all around gun.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I shoot a .223,for yotes,I dont like sewin big holes from the 243,so I keep it for my deer rifle. The .223 is a proven varmint round ,however there are quite a few rounds that are both more accurate ,and longer shooting . The 22/250,220 Swift,.223 WSSM come to mind. But just for pure shooting enjoyment,cheap shooting and reloading the .223 is a hard to beat caliber.

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    With a .223 you wont have to re barrel for a long time.

6. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    When I bought the 22/250 I was looking for a 223. I couldn't find one with a bull barrel. Yotes arn't worth any thing here so it doesn't make a difference in the size of hole. Where I deer hunt we had a problem with them crossing with dogs. They turn into calf killers. Everyone we see gets shot. There are some funny colors cropping up. Killed a black and yellow one last year. We had forgot the camera, I keep one in my truck at all times now.

7. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte

I agree. I love my 22-250 its a very wicked little round. very accurate and deadly too.:cool2::wink:

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    neither id go with a 22-250 over the two you are thinking about any day,i dont think you will be sorry.

9. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I'll be using several different guns because I don't care what kind of holes they make as long as the end result is a dead coyote. I'm starting out with a Ruger Mini 14 in .223 rem then I'll be using my .308 win and I may even use my Savage 17HMR a few times. I do plan of getting a 243 to use next year because I've seen what they can do and liked it pretty well. Good luck anyway you go.

10. thunt713

thunt713 New Member

State:
    winfield m
    a 22-250 hard to beat but you also need a good scope just as well they say you should spend as much or mre on the optics on your rifle

11. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    I agree. My scope and rings cost almost as much as as my base gun.

12. KamoKing

KamoKing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would agree with the .223 for a yote gun. We have a few custom .223 AR styles for prarie dog hunting and use them for yote hunting as well. Optics as previously stated are not to be over looked either. If you have a gun to shoot out to 1000 yards like our prarie dog guns and dont have the optics to allow you to see that far then your not any better off. I would say a good .223 with a good (whatever your price range) scope will be the best ticket for your yote gun.

13. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I agree with everyone saying optics are very important. No matter what Caliber i get it will have a Leopold VX-3

14. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Ill use my .270 until I get my AR-15 in .223 I dont care about holes either. Hopefully I can poke a few with my bow. Calling is crowded, too often my way.

15. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    I would take the 22-250 over the 223 or 243 as a yote gun. I have one in a model 700 topped with a weaver super slam 4-20 x 50 scope on it. Its a tack driving combo with my hand loads. The furthest shot I have with this combo is 468 yards.

16. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I have both a .223 and a 22-250. Both are great guns. I think it would depend on how far you think your shots will be. If its over 200 yards or so the 22-250 has a definate edge. Otherwish the .223 will be hard to beat. Cheaper and quieter, and dead is dead.