York Haven Hydro SHUTING DOWN!

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by delta_dog, Sep 16, 2009.

1. delta_dog

delta_dog New Member

State:
    Etters , Pa
    I just found out that there is a proposal out 2 tear down the York Haven dam because the hydro plant is closings it's doors. Anybody wanting 2 sign the petition can do so @ Goldsboro Marina. The petition must be out by the 27th of Sep. It's time 2 step up and protect our river guys! She's been good 2 us.

2. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Do you have any more details like are they planning on tearing the York Haven Dam down or just closing the electric generating plant? If the dam would remain would there still have to be water passing throughwhere the turbines are for flood control and such? That would directly affect the water flow at Brunner Island, Safe Harbor Dam, Holtwood Dam, and Conowingo Dam right? Could you give us more information please? Thank you!

Ray

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009

3. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    say it ain't so! I'll sign that petition 100 times.

4. delta_dog

delta_dog New Member

State:
    Etters , Pa
    From what we know as of now the plant will be closings in the near future... how near is yet 2 be determined. It is part of the PP&L overhaul @ Brunner Island as per DEP. Another effect of this overhaul is there will be no more warm water discharged into the river. The petion is 2 stop the removal of the dam.

5. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah i know their new water cooling equipment is supposed to be up and running Spring 2010. No more winter honey hole. I hadn't heard about the dam... They must have a good reason because that would take a lot of effort

6. delta_dog

delta_dog New Member

State:
    Etters , Pa
    Its not PP&L doing this. It's those environmental wack jobs.

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

What? No more WWD?

There goes the wintertime smallmouth, walleye, and musky fishing.:angry:

That place is only place in the state of PA where you have a good chance of catching a flathead in December, January, and February!

8. Jst Fishin

Jst Fishin New Member

State:
    PA
    From what I understand, the dam removals are to aid ion the Shad migrations. HMMM more Flathead food. No dams would change more than these guys think. I magine water levels in the pool areas.

Dave

9. mattr

mattr New Member

State:
    PA
    I thought they had these elevator systems for shad migrations at the dams, i remember seeing a video about them somewhere on here maybe.

10. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah they have fish ladders and elevators. They work but aren't as effective as open water. It would be a shame to lose the dam, but on the other hand, that dam is the main reason that the flathead haven't moved up any farther. Heads up north branch!

11. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    Welcome Dave, remember me, I almost bought youre crestliner CXJ. As you know Ive been working with rod and dave of koinania guide service. I see youve been gettin that new Snyder all slimed up,Congrats on the 34#er. We are bound to bump into one another sooner or later. See ya on the river. Tight lines:wink:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  12. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    York Haven was the 1st dam on the susky. I imagine removeing the dam would have a drastic impact in many ways. Thanks for the info. Ill be sure to sighn the petition

13. ssskinner27

ssskinner27 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    Hey it might be bad for the warm water fisherman in the winter but think about the flats that can make their way up the Susky and the Juniata River that is great for me. I love it

14. ssskinner27

ssskinner27 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    Well I guess it might cause alot of problems if they remove well then they should put ladders in there so the Flats can get up

15. ssskinner27

ssskinner27 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
  16. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    They've been stocking the West Branch with about 35,000 shad fry a year below Lock Haven. I don't think putting a fish ladder @ Lock Haven will help a whole lot cause the water quality is so poor in that area.
    The shad would probably just go upstream in the Bald Eagle creek a few miles before they hit the First quality dam, if they take it out they can still only go about 6 miles up the creek till they hit Sayers dam.
    I don't know why they would want to take out axe factory dam on fishing creek either, its all spring fed trout water.
    Sounds like a waste of money to me which could be better spent on fixing some water quality issues that are on the West Branch above Lock Haven.

17. ssskinner27

ssskinner27 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    So there isnt much chance for the Flats to get up stream near selinsgrove?

18. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Well, from what I know there are fish lifts or ladders on the main dams so they should be able to get up as far as Sunbury which is upriver from Selingsgrove.

19. ssskinner27

ssskinner27 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    I am not sure if there is a fish ladder at the Fabri Dam right at selinsgrove I know they are talking about putting one in there but I never seen one I am not sure I really hope they can get up here but I am also sure it will take a while not sure how fast flats migrate up river does anyone know?

20. suskycatman

suskycatman New Member

State:
    south central Pa
    There's a fish ladder on the Red Hill side of TMI, flats could utilize that to move up. Next hurdle is the Dock St Dam at Harrisburg, probably the only way to move above that is under high water conditions. Then it's a clear shot to the Fabri-Dam which should be easily negotiated by the flats.

A biologist for one of the PA State enviromental agencies has informed me that the flatheads have already made it above the York Haven Dam.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009