Yo-yos-how do I use them?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Shinchan, May 22, 2007.

1. Shinchan

Shinchan New Member

State:
    HI but now WA
    Aloha! I have never used/seen a yo-yo before but out of curiosity I ordered 3 from Cabelas. How do you use it? Do I have to hang it from a tree or can I connect it to a pole holder and fish it from the bank? Will it handle a 10 lb channel? Should I make any modifications to it? Thanks for any info.

2. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I love to fish with yoyos.I have always tied mine to limbs or cypress knees.Never heard of putting them on pole holders but it should work though.They will hold a 10 pounder,it'll string it out but it will hold it.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Chinchan, It will hold a sizable fish unless there is a defect in the yo-yo. I would like to extend a word of caution though... once they are set, they react whenever there is a tug on the release mechanism. Makes no difference if it is a fish or your arm. Be careful around them.

4. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Shinchan - Take your yo-yo's and tie them to tree limbs over hanging the water, limbs from fallen trees in the water, snags. Make sure the limb or snag is stout enough to hold the fish. You can also make tree t's and secure them to standing timber. Just make sure you check your area fishing regulations before attaching anything to standing timber. Yo-Yo's are against the law in some lakes, streams and so forth. just make sure that you stay within the legal limits, and you will have fun.

If fishing at night, attach a piece of reflector tape to them to make them stand out under the light. Also, most areas require you to put your name, addresse and/or licence/tag number on them!

Have fun and enjoy. Will be waiting for some pics of your catch.

5. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

:0a21:are they legal in pennsylvania?

6. Shinchan

Shinchan New Member

State:
    HI but now WA
    Thanks for the info. I don't know if its illegal here, no mention of yoyos in the regs but I guess its an "unattended line" so its probably a no-no BUT maybe I'll try one or two, just to see how it works:wink: