Yo-yo's, for catfish...?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by youngun, Jun 19, 2007.

1. youngun

youngun New Member

State:
    tennessee
    o.k., so I bought some of these the other day, and I got to messing around with them. well, I can't believe I bought these. I was intending to use them for catfish, but it seems to me that if anything decent got on the line, it would destroy the reel. what do you guys think?

2. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    I have used them in small rivers and creeks!!! They worked good for me they will hold more than you think !!

3. benelli101

benelli101 New Member

State:
    mississippi
    I have used them quit a bit and have caught up to 30 lb. cats on them. They can hold alot due to the fact there is no direct tension on the hook. Its kind of like haveing a limb line that will set the hook.

4. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    my son has used then in a lake near here and caught some 5 an 6 pound channels on them.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Guys have use yo-yo for catfishing, but I rather use a rod and reel.

6. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    be careful with that thing! if you make a wrong move, it'll hook your finger and pull hard as hell!!

7. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I

I can verify this, as I know from experience! :embarassed:

8. youngun

youngun New Member

State:
    tennessee
    well alright, cool, thanks for the tips. I have another question. What would be the best bait to use besides perch seeing has live perch would set off the yo-yo.

9. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA

CUT BAIT!!! Gills, shad, skipjack!!!!

10. large1

large1 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I use them all the time and they work great.Try using live shiners or craw fish.they work better at night and you may screw up and catch a mess of crappie in the process.Set them shallow(2-4 inches deep) at night

11. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Leeches can be dynamite. There are times when I have caught several fish off the same leech. Remove your fish, reset the spring and catch another one!