Yo-Yos (autofisher)

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by kyredneck, Dec 23, 2006.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've asked this on another thread already, here it is again. Does anyone know if yo-yos are legal to use in Kentucky. I've searched the regs and can find no mention of them.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I wish they would ban the use of them nationwide.

4. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I think this was a question and not a personal opinion.

5. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    Sorry guys, but I have absolutely no idea what a 'yo-yo' is! Apart from a kid's toy that is...

Oh, and Merry Christmas to everyone and their families!

6. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Mike, it's an automatic reel that gets tied to a pole or limb. It's basically limbline with automatic tensioner.
    Here's a short article from Outdoor Life and a pic;

Yo-Yo Fishing
    “Yo-yoing” is a high-tech method of limblining. A yo-yo is an automatic reel consisting of a stainless-steel spring encased in a sheet-metal disk (about the diameter of a doughnut). This device has a line attached to its topside for tying to a springy green limb, which suspends the yo-yo reel above the water’s surface.
    Inside the yo-yo mechanism are several feet of strong nylon line wrapped around the spring. The end of this line dangles from the bottom of the yo-yo. A snap swivel is tied to the end. A 1/0 to 3/0 hook (attached to the line via the snap swivel) and one or two split-shot weights complete the rig.
    After the yo-yo is tied to a limb, the hook is baited and enough line is pulled off the reel to lower the bait two or three feet beneath the surface. As the line is pulled off the reel, the spring coils tighter. Once the desired length is extended, a small wire trigger on the side of the reel is set to keep the line in place. When a fish takes the bait it trips the trigger and the reel uncoils quickly to set the hook.
    The best strategy for yo-yos is to scatter two dozen or more along a tree- or brush-lined river or lakeshore. Set the devices at dusk, then run them periodically through the night or at first light in the morning. As is the case with limblines, yo-yos can be rigged with monofilament leaders and smaller hooks to catch bluegills and crappies—but be sure that it is a legal fishing method for those species in the state in which you fish. Bait with wigglers, catalpa worms or crickets for bluegills, and small live minnows for crappies. Contact: Mechanical Fisher Yo-Yo Company (870-422-7715; www. rocking.altd.com/mfish.html).

Will

Attached Files:

7. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I don't think there is anything wrong with them, just don;t catch all of the fish. I like to use them with jugs, helps get a better hookup.

8. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Why ban them. Ban them and you might as well ban jugs, limb lines and everything else!

They get a bad name because if not used properly then they pull the fish out of the water!

This is not the Fault of the equipment, it is the fault of the owner of it!

I have fished with these all my life, and have some good memories of night fishing in my younger days with them. If they are used and set properly, then they are no worse than a jug or limb line!! If they were banned then it would be another example of a few bad fishermaen ruining a good thing for the rest of us! Just my opinion!!!

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I think the description says why some states ban them. With smaller hooks, they catch crappie, a game fish in many states. Of course, I guess you can do that with any limb, trot, or jug line, but it may be the automatic nature of the reel causes a more positive hookup. With as many ways as there are to catch catfish, why bother with y0-yo's? Its just another added expense.

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Newton, there are just a lot of purist on the board who only believe the correct way to catch any fish is with a rod and reel. The wonderful thing about fishing, is you can do it according to your personal whim... long as it is legal. We often get a lot of rock throwing, name calling threads going over trotlines, limblines and noodlers. LOL. But in the end, we are all fishermen.

11. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

Thanks! I have sent them the question!

Looks like I've also opened a can of worms!

12. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    AwShucks - I totally agree. We all have our ways, and as long as it is Legal then all is well. We are all fishermen and should just make sure we treat our waters and game laws with the upmost respect, as well as use our fishing equipment in the proper manner and all will be ok as well.

Any form of fishing, hunting, or outdoor sport and the way we do it can become a issue if the equipment is not used for it's intended purpose , or operated in the intended manner!

Happy fishing, and Happy Holidays to all!!!!!!!

13. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    All I'm saying is if the game laws in your state don't allow something, there is often a reason. Also, ask yourself if the ways you are allowed to catch fish are so limited you need to do it the way prohibited.

14. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for your explanation Will. I guess the name was self-explanatory in reality! As for whether it's okay to use one, I would say it balls down to choice. I wouldn't myself - not even for the pot - 'cause I like to work for my fish. But I don't think its fair to judge anyone who does provided its legal and used sensibly. I don't know how effective they are, but I bet they don't take as many fish as gill-nets, long lines or, (and please tell me they are illegal where you are!), electro-fish outfits...

15. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I don't like juggers, trotliners, limbliners or any of that mess. Not because I don't care for the technique, but the general attitude of people that do it. Most, not all, I see take everything they catch and do not respect the fishery. Because of this, I've got a bad taste in my mouth any time I see a jugger, limbliner, etc. I know some that do the right thing. Most don't care about the future of catfishing!!! I only call 'em as I see 'em. just my .02

16. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    At least in-shore and in freshwater, gill nets are illegal in Texas. Longlines aren't used in the waters controlled by the state. Yo-Yo's are illegal.

17. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Now that you brought it up, I agree, LOL!!!

18. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    My kids enjoy using them ,it is nothin like seein them have a good time! and we have never had a fish pulled out of the water, I guess it is because we use big hooks and big bait.

19. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I love em, man you can walk the dog , go round the world, and all that good stuff.lol

Sorry guys I had to say it.

If people fish em right theres nothin wrong with em. Thats my stiry, and I'm stuckin to it.lol

20. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I've used them and they are a lot of fun. I would only set out 6 or so and I would set them at or below the waterline. The only problem I had was people running them and stealing them.