yo-yo

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by BigTattoo, Nov 7, 2005.

1. BigTattoo

BigTattoo New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I have been wanting to try out some yo-yos so I was at the store and grabed 4 of them to try and I decied to just tie them to my jug lines and OH BOY the hook ups were great. Sat and Sun I filled the freezer :D . Just wanted to tell everyone about the fun.

BigTattoo

2. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Just checking to see if yo-yo's are legal in your state?I know they are illegal in alot of states.Just a reminder to check your state laws :D

3. THE FISH WHISPER'ER

THE FISH WHISPER'ER New Member

State:
    waynesville ,IL
  4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    What's a yo-yo?

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Nevermind. I google'd it and it's clear now. Tried to use one for ice fishing when I was a kid but got it wet and it froze solid. Might try some of these in the spring though.

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    What kind of set up did you use to have them tied to your jugs? Never used them on my jugs, give us some more info on how you did it...

7. BigTattoo

BigTattoo New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Let me start off by saying that yo-yos are legal in Louisiana unless it changed recently. Their site does not reflect any such change. They do have a couple of laws about unattended yo-yos, but that isn't in my area.

What I did is I have some noodle juglines that I made using information on the old BOC. It worked great, but in my situation, pretty often, I would return to check the jug and the bait would be gone. After trying all types of hook sizes and types, I thought about tieing a yo-yo to them to see if it would help with my hook-ups. It sure did! It solved the problem that I was having 110%. I took some of my old noodle jugs and just cut the line off of them. I tied the yo-yo all of the way up to the top of it. Then, I went to a swivel. That's where I change from nylon to mono. Then I went down eight inches and tied to a 3-way swivel. From the swivel to the weight and the hook, the same rig I use to tightline. All I have to do is make a bunch of my tight line rigs and tie them to the rod and reel or the yo-yo, and I'm good to go. Also, I did not think of this ahead of time either, but what I was done for the weekend, and I went pick up my jugs with the yo-yos, it was very easy because the string just coiled up and was out of the way. It didn't hang out all over the place. I would be glad to answer any other questions. These things were a blast and did work, in my situation, of course. It might not be the best for everyone else though. If your local laws allow you to use them, and you want to try, just buy one or two. They're pretty cheap.

Thanks,
    BigTattoo

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Best I can tell, they're legal in Missouri. Heck, some guy caught the state record crappie on one: http://www.infozine.com/news/stories/op/storiesView/sid/6869/

They seem like a good addition to a jug line - from the couple of times I've jug fished, it seemed that the main problem was finding a way to get a good hook set -- especially with noodle jugs where there's not much resistance at all.

I see that Cabela's offers yo-yo's in plastic or metal and they're not too expensive.

9. BigTattoo

BigTattoo New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Okay. I have a question. On my jug lines, I attached yo-yo's like I said in previous posts. I was using j-hooks and the hook-ups were great. I can't complain about that at all. I was wondering if anyone thought Khale hooks would be as good or possibly better in this application.

Thanks,
    BigTattoo

10. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    yo-yo's are perfectly legal here in the bayou state with no limit on the number you can have out at once. a few dozen is enough when i run them by myself. jugs notwithstanding, ive used yoyo's under just about all conditions with a myriad of hook types. 2/0 J hooks for cats, smaller for crappie/bass. my experience has shown circle type hooks are not suited for yoyo's as the hookset is too sudden.

never heard of putting them on jugs before, glad youre having luck with that technique. one problem does pop into mind however, as you have them attached to jugs i assume the yo-yo mechanism gets wet quite a bit? may i suggest that when done fishing you allow them to dry completely before storage and apply some type of oil to the spring. i usually use wd-40. tho most yoyo's ive ever used were made from galvanized metal they can still rust up.

11. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    I won a couple yo yo's at the Y2K2 Keystone gathering but have never used them, this may be a silly question but do you secure the yo yo under the water when using it or what? if not woldn't it crank the fish right up to it???? I am confused...

egg

12. BigTattoo

BigTattoo New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Bayoubear,
    I have been using them for a while under jugs. They do get wet, but the main part of the yo-yo is galvinized, as you said, and the spring is stainless steel. I was concerned about rust too, so I've been keeping a close eye on it. I just always dry them off real well. (Blow off with air compressor) Thanks for the advice.

Eggman,
    The design was actually made to tie them to a tree limb above the water. I've heard of the yo-yo pulling the fish out of the water before. Supposedly, that's why some states have outlawed them, because of dead fish hanging out of the tree. I haven't ever seen one pull the fish completely out of the water, but I went from tieing to tree limbs to jugs because where I fish, there aren't always trees hanging far over the water. The main thing I like about the yo-yo is the jerk to set the hook and the fact that it constantly holds pressure on the line. The fish doesn't spit out the hook as easily. I'd be happy to answer any other questions.

Thanks,
    BigTattoo

13. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    MrT a yo-yo is an mechanical fisher

14. roh1961

roh1961 New Member

State:
    Texas
    They are illegal to use in Texas