Yo-yo fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by TOPS, Sep 11, 2005.

1. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    How many members set out yo-yo's instead of trot lines? I prefer using yo-yo's because of safety reasons. The biggest mess of cat fish caught by me were from yo-yo's.

2. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yo-yo's are great, my brother introduced them to me. We were slaying em left and right! :0a10:

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Hey Top how do u use a Yo-yo rig?

4. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    A yo yo is an automatic fishing reel that is used as a limbline. It is "spring loaded", when a fish runs with the bait, it sets the hook. You can buy them at walmart.

5. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    CJ, yo-yo's are mechanical limb lines They are not a rig one would use on a rod.

6. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I am about to get 2 dozen of them to set while I am on the way to the fishing spots, they are cheap and something else to do, make it interesting, I hope.

7. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I've seen them for years but have never tryed them. I was thinking they would be good in the logs for flat heads. Will there spring hold up to a big flathead?

8. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Greetings from MN...Never heard of a yo yo rig. They must be illegal here in MN. I'm interested in seeing what one looks like. Does anyone have a pic?

9. AC1108

AC1108 Member

State:
    Kansas City, Mo
    If you go to www.cabelas.com and type in yo-yo reels they show a couple of models. One says it has a 50lb test and the other a 60lb test.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Spoonfish, I've got a dozen I bought at Wally World, but I've never gotten around to actually using them. Just looking at them, I think if I felt I might hook a cat over 20#, I'd definitely want to add a heavy duty bungee cord or piece of inner tube as a shock absorber.

11. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Nut, Sorry, my camera is broken for now I will post as soon as I can.

12. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i would like to try yo yos to where do u wat is a good place to tie them off

13. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    You can tie them off to limbs over 2-4 feet of water setting them down in the water about half of the water depth. Using worms,shrimp and even live bait. because there is two settings on the yo-yo. There is a deep slot for live bait ,so when the bait pulls on the yo-yo it won't set it off. Also a shallow slot for natural bait, liver, shrimp and such. I use a 2/0 kahle on mine with black dacron line. The reason for the dacron line is when your checking them you can use a flashlight to check them and if you see the white line it is still set and when you see the black line it's been set off, or if it's jumping around you have a fish :D I also put a piece of reflective tape on both sides of the yo-yo's so you can be 50 yds. away and still see them at night with a flashlight and see if something is on them. Also here in Ohio you have to put your name on each one. I just put my last name and town I live in. Thats so if peta gets a hold of it they can't come to destroy your stuff for fishing. If you want to know more about this type of fishing feel free to let me know.

14. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Hope to down a picture of a Yo-Yo.