Yikes. smoothbore sluggin.

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by flatheadchris, Nov 5, 2006.

1. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    well i got to shoot a smootbore 27 inch shotgun with a 1 ounce rifled slug.i shot it at 30 yards and it hit nowhere near the target.it hit about a foot under it.is the bead sight not designed for slugs? h&r topper 88 is the shotgun.

2. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Hey Chris, the bead sight isn't the best. You said 30yds, but not what size target. Also the choke of your smoothbore has a lot of influence on slug shooting. I would not deer hunt with it if you couldn't consistantly hit an 8 inch paper plate at 25 yrds, and limit your shot to that distance. A lung shot broadside. Not fair to the animal or u who will have to track it down. Do you have a good recoil pad on it? Are you recoil shy? Lots of things to consider aren't there. Ideal, you want sights and IC choke. Ideal, 3 inch cluster at 50yrds. Consistantly. The new rifled slug guns and sabots are shooting 2 inch groups at 100yrds. Man ought to know his limitations. If you are not ready, don't hunt, and be ready next year. Just an old man's advice. Don't mean to hurt your feelings or sound disrespectful. But think how you'd feel if you seen the fur fly, and then lost the blood trail? If you wouldn't feel bad then you never had or have lost the meaning of hunting. Men who pistol hunt shoot all in the black at 25yrds with something big enough kill "cleanly".

3. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    i love the recoil,and i have a very good recoil pad.im not going to hunt with the slugs,i was just testing the gun out on how it would do with slugs.i wish i could use a choke but the gun doesnt have threads to do so.i may just use some buckshot and use the gun also as a hefty squirrel gun.

anyone know where i could get some sights for the slugs without having to tap the gun itself?

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    HI-Viz and TRU-GLOW make magnetic sights for both ribbed and plain barrels. Some have double sided tape like body shops use for attaching molding on cars and trucks. Both of these companies have a turkey sight that comes in two pieces. One part for the rear of the barrel. "illuminated V " and an elongated illuminated tube that slides up against the front bead. When attached to your barrel, it is exactly like looking down rifle sights. Cabela carries them as does Greentop in Richmond. Bass Pro and a lot of folks.
    Good luck

5. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    General rule of thumb on slugs on a bead sight gun. They should generally hit about dead on at 25 yards. At 50 yards, aim about the belt buckle (police style target) to hit center mass, then past that you have to experiment to see were you need to hold. The slug is still rising between 25 and 50 with a bead sighted gun, unless you've got the bead that's on a ramp. Then sometimes you can hold dead on till 50 or so.

6. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    on the top of the barrel it should say how the gun is choke. i know it dosent have screw in chokes but that model gun can be made with a few different size muzzel bores [aka choke size.]. the most popular on the topper is full choke. not good for slugs! imp.cyl or mod are the best for shooting slugs from one of those guns.. look at it and tell me what it says on there... i have a few of those guns and they shoot great groups all the way to about 60 yards with the right slugs ... ps also be sure to shoot the rifled slugs like you have been and not sabots! the sabots will not spin out of the muzzel and will cause the problem you are describing because its like throwing a hotdog through the air without the spin!! :smile2:

7. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    I have a smoothbore slug barrle for my Rem. 1100. It has rifle-type adjustable sights, the fancy graduated ones. I can't get the thing to group worth a crap. Shoots all over the place. So bad, in fact, I decided not to hunt with it. I think a rifled slug barrel is necessary.

8. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    did you try any of the cheap federal or winchester rifled slugs? they are the best i have found for a smooth bore..