Yet Another TVA Dike Spill....

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by festus, Jan 12, 2010.

1. festus

festus New Member

This time it's in Alabama. I can't find out much about this yet, but it happened on Sunday. This is at Widow's Creek Steam Plant. I attached a photo and will update if I hear anything more. Looks like one more ruined fishing hole. :angry:

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Out of ignorance, what was in that pond and where did it end up?

3. festus

festus New Member

Well, it doesn't look as bad as I thought. The leak was from a holding pond into Widow's Creek, which also leaked into the Tennessee River. It was only .01% as bad as the Kingston spill, according to TVA. But who knows, TVA has been known to lie with every breath. The leak is residue from the cleaning of scrubbers at the smokestacks. It can contain lead and arsenic, fly ash, all types of poisons.

The spill at Kingston took my favorite fishing hole in my entire life out forever. And it cut out over 90% of the fishing for me at Watts Bar Lake. I refuse to ever fish below the spill, or anywhere less than 3 miles above the spill. I don't know how many families have been relocated. The recreation and fishing tourism, which had been slowly dwindling already, is pretty much wrecked.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  4. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    Boy they don't learn much from thier mistakes do they.

5. festus

festus New Member

No, I worked for TVA long enough to realize they don't know how to set or keep deadlines, and simply don't care. I worked 3 different jobs with them. I should have stayed with my second job, the work ethics and co-workers were pretty good. But finally I just quit them. I have too much pride to be employed by those clowns. Lots of it had to do with boredom. They didn't want anybody to accomplish anything but spend money. You might think I'm a little harsh, sure, there's some good honest people who work there. But then there's enough bad apples to ruin everything, too.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  6. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    Dang Festus you are running out of places to fish quickly!

7. festus

festus New Member

Ha ha, well they put Bull Run Steam Plant back online, so I'm giving it a couple more weeks for the fish to find the warm water. If worse comes to worse, I still have a few ponds, creeks, and rivers to fish that don't have anything that could possibly spill into them unless there's some type of natural disaster!!

8. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    Festus,

How far is Kingston and Bull Run from CC? Was Kingston really that good fishing for Skipjacks?

I will tell you this, after being to CC, I must admit I really enjoy that area. I wish we had something like that here in Missouri. We may, but I have yet to see it, especially that is land accessible.

9. festus

festus New Member

I'm just going to take a wild guess and say Kingston is probably at least 4-1/2 hours southeast of Cumberland City. It's at least over a 3 hour drive from Kingston to the city limits of Nashville. Then I'd guess it would be another 1-1/2 hour from East Nashville to Cumberland City. Bull Run Steam Plant is probably at least another 35-40 minutes farther east of Kingston. You'll probably drive right by Kingston Stm Plt if you head this way on I-40. You can't miss it.

Yes, years ago Kingston Steam Plant was just as good as Cumberland City for skipjack. It was also some of the best catfishing and striper fishing in the state. The Clinch River empties into the Tennesee River at the southern tip of Kingston. The skippies and other fish liked the warm waters of the steam plant, and they could travel upstream just a litte ways up the Clinch River to the steam plant. Then in the spring and summer lots of fish swim up the Clinch River into Poplar Creek and the Emory River. Mr. Craddock on here has probably been fishing this area longer than I have.

If Bull Run Stm Plt keeps generating, the fishing will pick up again, but I have a feeling as soon as the weather warms and there is less demand for electricity, they'll shut down for upgrades.

Last fall I talked to one of the best fishermen in the area. He still says whenever Bull Run and Kingston are running, you can't find much better spots in the area for big catfish. I kinda wonder if Kingston will ever run again. It'll take years to clean up the mess, knowing how the government operates.

10. festus

festus New Member

One thing I forgot to mention is the catfishing might be good in these areas again one day, but I sure wouldn't eat many of them. Maybe one or two meals a year, and then I wouldn't want to eat any fish over 3-4 lbs. These waters are world wide known for their poisons. :laugh1:

11. dthrasher

dthrasher New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey festus, how far down stream do you have to worry about? I just wonder what affect it will have on other communities the water folws through. I have not realy seen anything on the extended impact. Thanks Dennis:waiting:

12. festus

festus New Member

Hey Dennis, were you talking about the Kingston spill or the Alabama spill? After I learned more about the AL spill, I don't think there's a lot to worry about. But I sure wouldn't want live anywhere on the entire Watts Bar Reservoir below the Kingston spill. They're stil finding traces of that gook way downstream. However, as much water has run through Chicamagua Dam after a year's worth of heavy rain, I don't think the folks down on that Chicamaugua Lake have that much to worry about. Well, they've claimed the fish in Chicamaugua Res. have been pretty safe to eat, but I still wouldn't want to eat a big striper or catfish out of there.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  13. Deepwater1

Deepwater1 New Member

State:
    Toccoa, GA
    Festus, I totally agree with you. I live in North Georgia, about 5 miles from Lake Hartwell, but I don't fish there due to the PCB's and mercury levels. I travel 100+ miles to fish in the cleaner South Carolina lakes (Greenwood, Murray, & Monticello). I just don't want to take the chance.

14. dthrasher

dthrasher New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Festus thanks for your reply. I was refering to Kingston. I just wonder how far this stuff and the fish that carry it travels.

15. festus

festus New Member

Well the City of Kingston's water supply isn't too far downstream from the mess. TVA tried to say it didn't pollute the water??:secret: Then why were we required to wear respirators when we got near fly ash when I worked down there?

16. festus

festus New Member

I drove under the Interstate 40 bridge this morning across from Kingston Steam Plant. They are still working on cleaning up the mess upstream. The slurry is still on top the water. I didn't fish very long, but there was a young couple fishing across the launch. I saw the girl catch a weird looking fish about as long as my arm. It was a lake sturgeon as long as my arm. They caught it on a 5" golden shiner. It had swallowed the hook but it wasn't bleeding. They released it and it took off unharmed.

17. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    Festus I don't know if it has changed or not as I have not looked ath the regulations for 2010, but we used to have a consumption warning even on lake chicamauga. I think it was mostly for PCB,s and may have included heavy metals too.

I have eaten maybe 8 fish from the chic in the past 20 years. I will go to sam's club and buy the farm raised if I want catfish. I guess the last I ate from here was a couple of crappie about 2 years ago.

18. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I visited some friends in scottsboro alabama during the fall floods. The river was ash colored down there then. I said all along we would send it on down to Alabama. I am still not convinced coal ash will harm You unless You eat 10 pounds a day. I was raised heatng with coal and handling ash every day. For a long time after the spill I looked for fish kills almost every day and never saw any. My son fishes with the twra officer who uses one of the shocker boats to test fish and he says he has seen no difference and he has looked for those bellies full of ash and has not seen it. If I get to fish any more I will eat them.

19. festus

festus New Member

Well we know fish are still there if sturgeon can live in it. We've had enough rain to flush a lot of that stuff downstream. I'm gonna wait until they get all that dredging and work done before I even think about eating a fish out of there again. One problem I have with is that ash had been lying down there since the plant opened. The plant went online when I was a baby, and I'm 57 years old.