yet another sight question

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by massa_jorge, May 13, 2008.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    alright bowhunting gurus, i need you assistance once again. i tightened down every screw my fossil bow has, and did some more target shooting. at 10, 15, 20, and 25 yards i am right on, but at 30, 35, and 40 yards i am shooting 10 inches to a foot left. what could be causing this? when i put the new sight on, if i was going to be off at longer range, i would be off at a shorter range. could i maybe just be off a little bit, and it's not going to show at close range? i wanted to ask yall before i went messing with something else on my bow.
    my bow is a bear whitetail, the arrows are carbon wolverines and beman hawk carbons. i get the same result with both brands. i am using 2" blazer fletchings, and 125 grain target points. the bow is set at 50 pounds, if all that matters. and the sight is a truglo 3 pin sight, rest is a whisker biscuit.
    thanks!

2. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I can't imagine why it would only have problems at 30yds and on. Most problems are multiplied as range increases. Try a paper test. Never used one but those Whisker Biscuit rests look like could cause issues.

3. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Sounds like your center shot is off or you could be torquing the bow at longer ranges.

You can do a walk back tune to fine tune your center shot. Get a tall target and start out shooting at 10 yards and then go back in 10 yard increments each shot. Use your 20 yard pin for every shot. If you don't think it was a perfect shot, then scratch it and and redo that distance. If your center shot is not set right, you will notice your arrows getting farther to the side of your bullseye.

Try that and see what happens. If you don't want to do all of that, then just shoot at the longest distance you feel comfortable and adjust your pins till you are hitting dead on. Then step in closer and shoot and see if you are still dead on. If your not sighted in perfect, it will show the farther you extend your shooting range out too.

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    center shot- that means where my rest is centered? i don't know the terms and all that, just like to hunt with my bow!

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i started out at 10 yard increments, and adjusted my sight assembly. i made a line with my pocketknife on the horizontal part of the rest that moves, so i know where i am moving and how far. now i am hitting right at any range i will take a shot with my bow. thanks for the help!

6. mikebarbee

mikebarbee New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    At 30-45 yards, a 125 gr broad head loses allot of Kinetic energy, especially with a 50lb draw weight. Therefore as previously stated you are going to have a exaggerated variance in your arrow flight. Someone mentioned a paper test. I would highly recommend it. I would imagine that your shaft is entering the target at an angle, most likely to the right. Give it a try and see what happens. Could be your rest is a hair to the left of your string.

7. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania

In addition to this, I would try to hold your form after the shot. This will help eliminate the human factor out of your problem as much as possible. Make sure your anchoring in the same spots consistantly, dont rush the shot and when you release, dont move the bow to see the arrow. Hold your form as it was when you released your shot until you hear the thud from impact. You'll be amazed how much human error goes into botched long range shots. I wouldnt completely rule out lost energy from the heavy arrow & low poundage but since your grouping consistantly in the same spot instead of random spots, I think its your form, imho. Aim small, miss small.

8. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    It sounds to me like your rest isn't centered properly. It won't show up much at close range but will make a huge difference at longer ranges. I assume you are just target shooting. A fifty pound bow isn't much good for killing game past 30 yards anyway.

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use it to hunt deer. a 50 pound bow is plenty for whitetails or mulies, as long as proper shots are taken. i hunt to feed my family, and do real good at it. i have hunted for two bow seasons and have got only two deer with a bow. BUT... in two days i stalked to within shooting range of 16 deer. i passed the shots up because of bad angles, brush in the way, etc. i could have stuck an arrow in any of those deer, but was not certain i would have recovered the deer. that's part of the responsibilty of being a hunter, quick kill and recovering what you shoot. my first deer was 45 yards away, and my second was 40 yards. i get complete pass throughs with the setup i use. i have had so many people tell me you shouldn't shoot a deer with a bow past 15 yards. i don't know what their experiences are while bowhunting, only what mine are. i spot and stalk, they hunt from trees. that might be the difference. my shots are level, they are shooting from an elevated position. i always thought that might be why they take the shorter shots, i don't really know. i won't take a shot i am not sure will cause a quick kill or i might not be able to find what i shot. this isn't meant to be mean or disrespectful to anyone, just stating what i do and why. thanks for the comments guys, and the help!

10. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    A number of things can factor into this problem. I also suggest paper tuning. I also would use a lighter tip. try a 100, or a 110. and another thing is people tend to cant their bows when they shoot. causing windage problems. try this. mount a small level in your sight window. you can buy them at most archery shops, bass pro, cabelas, etc. it's not much bigger than a sight pin itself. using a carpenters level. find a level doorway or something in your house. then put your sight window against it and bend or adjust the level till the bubble is center. then as you practice go through a routine of pulling back, finding your sight pin, glance at the level, place your sight pin on the target, glance at the level, hold steady, glance at the level, then start to squeeze off the shot. if you do it long enough you'll break the habit of canting the bow sideways, and you wont need to "glance at the level" when hunting. I also use only 1 pin sighted in at 25 yards. I can estimate the elavation much quicker than guessing yardage, figuring what pin to use and then guessing the elavation between the pins. If you end up lifting or lowering from the sight pin you've decided to use, why not eliminate all the hassle and just use one? you ever use the wrong pin?? definately try the bare shaft paper tune though. keep your paperno more than 5 or 6 feet in front of the bow. I usually like about 4..if it's not coming off the rest right you'll see it in the tear. and sitting too far away from your paper will throw you off.

11. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Oh and also get rid of the 2 inch fletchings. They're used to cut down on weight. and obviously using 125's, you're not too terribly concerned with weight. a 3-4 inch fletching will fly much truer than a 2...a 4 inch fletching will not eliminate the cause itself, but will straighten out the arrow in flight so you wont even notice it..

12. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    the 2 inch blazers work fine for keeping the arrow straight, and they make my arrows shoot flatter. the only reason i shoot 125's on the broadhead is i wanted to see if i got extra penetration on game, which compared to the 4 blade 100 gr i shot the first season, i did. also i shoot a whisker biscuit rest, which is hard on those crappy factory fletchings. i have experimented with vanes up to 5", and was not happy with their performance. the 2" vanes work great with the setup i am using. thanks for the feedback!

13. ga2oh

ga2oh New Member

State:
    ohio
    make sure your nock travel is straight on and make sure your cams aren't warpped. also are yoou useing a release or fingers?

14. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i shoot with a release.

15. ga2oh

ga2oh New Member

State:
    ohio
    That eliminates any finger issue. Now i would make sure everything is lined up. Make sure your nock travels straight it shouldn't move up or down, and it shouldn't move side to side. Then check your cams make sure when you pull back that they don't wobble. If all is fine do one last check on your sight make sur your pins are lined up. If you can adjust them from side to side try that, then adjust them up and down. Now if all that fails you i'm sorry I did what I can. Now go get a new sight.
    :big_smile:

16. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    Try taking your very first shot of the day from 35 or 40 yards. If you hit your mark then i would say your putting torque on your bow as you grip it from the fatigue of shooting shots before you get to your 35 and up marks. If you have this problem with your first shot of the day then follow the arrow with the sight pin your using @ that yardage. If your hitting left, move the pin left,if your hitting high, move the pin up and so on. All the other advice is very good so try them all, you'll get it right bro! Good luck.:big_smile:

17. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i used to always start shooting from 10 yards and then work my way back. now i start at 40, then 20 then 30, i try to switch it up a bit. i believe i have the problem fixed. i moved my sight assembly, then my rest. i notched both so i could see how far i was moving them. i am ready for bow season again, all i have to do is keep shooting till then. next season i am going to be shooting a mission bow, and i am getting one for my father in law too. i think i will get a one pin sight for it though, because all those pins are aggravating on a faster bow. i just got my new dozen arrows refletched and the inserts glued in. those bemans are awesome! thanks for all the replies and advice.

18. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I agree with shooting thru paper, this don't sound like a site problem to me. Ya mite drive tacks up close with a bow thats not tuned and not hit a volkswagon at 40 yrd.

19. ga2oh

ga2oh New Member

State:
    ohio
    congrats on getting it to work. Best of luck to ya.

20. Shenandoah

Shenandoah New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Ditch the wisker buscuit and get a fall away you will be so much happier. Also what poundage are you shooting?