Yesterday's hunt: 2 birds down.

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by jlingle, Apr 16, 2007.

1. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I took my good buddy Mike out hunting yesterday afternoon. He's in the air force and recently got word that he's being shipped back to the sand, so we're gonna hit the turkeys and fish hard until he has to leave.

Anyway, my dad owns some land that is on a good paved road, and you can usually drive the road around the place, spot turkeys and come up with a good game plan...... usually. Yesterday we made the usual lap around the place and didn't see a single bird. Hmmmm... We also own land across the road from it to the south, and while we were turning around to go to that place, we spotted a tom walking across the road and headed the direction we were about to go. He appeared to be by himself (yes!) and we figured we had a great shot at killing him. We parked the truck about 150 yards from him, baled out with our gear and hoofed it to a little bit of cover, out of sight of the bird. We put out a couple of decoys, one hen and one jake, and were getting situated when Mike got his binos out and looked for our bird. He hissed at me "there's 2 toms over there, and no hens!" Pretty hard to ask for a better sitcheeyashun. I'd barely made a scratch on the slate call when they gobbled back at us. Within 3 or 4 minutes, they were in our lap and Mike slammed the bigger of the 2 birds. We hadn't been out of the truck for 15 minutes, and there was already a dead bird. Nice start.

We had seen 2 other groups of birds while walking into position for these birds, so we picked the group with what we figured to be the bigger tom in it (he had 7 hens, so we figured he must be a bad feller) and we went after him. I didn't go after that bird because I thought I could call him away from his hens. I'm just not that good, I went after that bird because I thought it would be easy to intercept them on their way to roost. These birds were about 500 yards from where I figured they'd roost, and there was a lone shelter belt of trees separating them from their roost site. Looked easy enough. Mike and I snuck into position at the very end of the tree row, closest to the birds. They were about a hundreds yards from us and had no clue that we were on earth. All they had to do was follow the rules, come east down the tree row and I'd blow the heck out of our second bird of the day and we'd head to the house for hero shots. I wish the turkeys had got the memo.... they didn't want to follow our great plan. They began feeding our direction, at the end of the tree row, and then slowly headed north. Poop. North meant they were going back across the road to my dad's other property and there was no way we could cut them off without spooking them away. We discussed this at length, and we really thought we'd have to let these birds go. That's when I decided to "break the rules."

I told him, "Hell Mike if we can drive deer, then why can't we drive turkeys?" Huh?!? I told him we were sitting on the best piece of cover for these birds and they weren't headed our way.... so let's make them head our way. I figured all it would take was Mike circling around to the north, they'd see him and wanna truck it right by my tree row.

Mike peeled off and went back down the tree row we were in, headed north and circled way around the birds. They didn't see him for about 10 minutes, and he stayed 200-300 yards away nearly the whole time. When they spotted him, sure enough, they began to file right past my location. The sun was directly behind them, so it took me a minute to find the tom (all of them looked like they had red heads with the sun behind them.) When I finally found the tom, he was of course the farthest bird from me. I nailed the old tom at about 40 yards. He was an old fella, you could tell, and he had a massive fan. He had great spurs, probably 1-1/8" but his 9" beard was pretty whispy. Even though he didn't have much of a beard, he was still a great looking bird, and the way he was taken was pretty stinkin' cool. Sometimes they come in to the calls, and sometimes I have to ambush them, but it's all hunting to me.

I really wish I had pictures to share, but my camera batteries have decided to hold a charge for the last time.:crazy: Next bird I get, I promise I'll have pics for everybody.

2. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Awesome story... kinda makes me wish morning was here already! I went out this morning for opening day. For about a week I have been trying to find the birds, finally after about an hour of walking around i heard one gobble two ridges over. I thought I heard him on the south side of the ridge so I set up on the north side. Well I gave him a yelp and immediately he answers back, only thing was he was right behind me. Well being inexperienced I thought he was just far enough away and on the side that I had time to manuever to the other side of the tree... busted. About 70 yards away... but I know where he is for tomorrow! I just love bein out in the woods and turkey hunting is definately one of my new favorite things to do. I like to hear stories like yours... lookin forward to the pics.

3. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Jerrod,
    That was a great story! My hunt opens on the 23rd, and I'm ready.
    Tell your buddy to keep safe over there, and thank him for helping to keep my family and me safe here at home.
    God Bless America!
    Sparky

4. Crawdad

Crawdad New Member

State:
    Mid-Missouri
    Good for you guys. Sounds like you had great fun. I went out yesterday & this morning, but no luck. They're not acting normal. They didn't gobble much early, and not at all on the 2nd round around 10 or 10:30 am. We've had great weather this week, but it's an abrupt change from last weeks cold. I did call one up this am about 11:30, but he came in behind me without a sound til he saw me move. course then it was too late. This morning I sat on a ridge listening to at least 3 gobblers on a ridge across the highway from me. Made my eyes bleed, listening to them gobble till after 8:30. oh well, my grandsons coming saturday afternoon to hunt Sunday. That'll be a hoot!

5. TnShooter

TnShooter New Member

State:
    E. Tennessee
    Thanks for the story.
    I just sold my Benelli Super Nova....
    I'm in to skeet shooting now, So I sold the Nova
    to fund an auto, or nice O/U

6. broncstomper

broncstomper New Member

State:
    ga
    great story thanks for sharing it

7. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Great hunt! post some pix if you can. Im hoping to salvage this season but Im going to miss 1/2 of it for sure since my wife is due on opening day.

8. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Bagging a new baby, is better than bagging a Turkey any day.
    Sparky