Yesterday Marina Del Rey

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by plumbertom1, Jul 20, 2007.

1. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Went out on Santa Monica Bay yesterday with Bay Runner Ray for a few hours of floating around and soaking bait.
    We ran out to one of the out flow pipes and fished along it to start the day. the Short trip boats from Redondo and MDR were fishing the same area but they seemed to be doing the same thing that we were with the same result.
    after trying a couple of the rock piles that have been placed for reefs in that vast sand expanse we managed to scrape one kelp bass about 14" off of them.
    I had checked the water temp. charts the day before and saw that a bunch of cold water had moved in on Tuesday but we were hopping that the water had warmed back up. No such luck so the surface bite was shut down and the barracudas had moved with the warm water. Combine that with the fact that fishing Santa Monica Bay is like hunting rabbits in the sand dunes, there may be a bush here and there but finding the one with rabbits in it is a matter of luck.
    So our total count for yesterday was one bass and some fresh sardines to freeze for bait.

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Tom, Lets not forget my prime trolling place outside of the Venice Pier. It is some 20-30 rock/rubble piles that are called "Artificial Reef", and wouldn't you know it the local LA County lifegaurds were doing pracitice scuba diving on the "Del Rey" reef........We had to stay 300 yards away... while they were having fun diving on our fish........ Later when they had left, we did a wind drift with (again) no luck........ Not sure if the sardine that I had on was hit by a butt (halibut) or was it the "stupid" seals that were trying for our bait.

Your PM to me summed it all up.... the 14" Calico Bass that you caught was the only item that went into the net.

I'll have to check..... I think the grunnion were "running" and that might have been while all of the lock jaw.......with this new moon..

bayrunner ray

3. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Tom, I just check out the grunion information, and we had a big "movement" of bait in the shore just a day before we went fishing......What do you think....All the fish were stuffed on grunion?

[FONT=arial, helvetica]July[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica][SIZE=-1]1

31[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica][SIZE=-1]Su 10:15 PM - 12:15 AM*
    Mo 10:55 PM - 12:55 AM*
    Tu 11:35 PM - 1:35 AM*
    We 12:25 AM* - 2:25 AM*

Su 10:25 PM - 12:25 AM*
    Mo 11:05 PM - 1:05 AM*
    Tu 11:45 PM - 1:45 AM*
    We 12:30 AM* - 2:30 AM*

Mo 10:05 PM - 12:05 AM*
    Tu 10:45 PM - 12:45 AM* [/SIZE][/FONT]

We went out on the morning of the 19th..... I cant remember what the contents of the Calico bass was????

I'd say that with the "low counts" for the "cattle boat" for the day, we did not do to bad...

bayrunner ray

4. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Seemed to me that his belly was empty.

5. Finesse

Finesse New Member

State:
    Sacramento,Ca
    Man you guys are in my home turf there, im from Santa Monica born and raised. man do i miss is :sad2: my Dad has his Sailboat in MDR and everytime i head down there im tosin some Dines off the back, i miss the 3 eyed Halibuts out there :smile2:. i remember as a kid killing them and the Leopard sharks out there and an accational shovel nose too.

Sean

6. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Speeking of halibut, the bay is not like it use to be for the butts. Several years back some (crack head) broke into the hatchery at King harbor and killed the "big mama" and many other of the breeding team members that were part of the program..... Being a California "native" of 63 years, you should have seen the Bay back when I was a kid.. or heard the stories from my father about the marlin, tails and other nice fish, before the started cutting the kelp and all......

bayrunner ray

7. big taz

big taz New Member

State:
    california
    Hopefully the bite will get started again soon out there. I was gonna launch out of MDR AND get on some of the bass cuda action a few weeks back but i GUESS I MISSED IT...

Thanks for the post.

Corey

8. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    "Cudas and sandies are still going off just around the corner at the 'shoe and the flats.
    A little further to drive but worthwhile.

9. badams

badams New Member

State:
    california
    If you want to catch barracuda year round at MDR then just start a slow troll
    down by the gas station on the right side of the channel facing the breakwall. I never missed when using cheap Rapala type lures. I used to paint them dark navy blue with a few white tiger stripes on them. They always worked foggy or clear while Crocodiles and other bright colored lures only worked when the sun was shining. After you pass the last mooring spot reel in until you get down close to the break wall. Bear over a little to the short rocks there when the channel needs dredging. There should be sand bar warning bouys when this applies. If you have a green and red Fire Tiger Rapala then stick it on your line and troll pass the sand bars. 9 out of every 10 times I did this I would catch a sand bass of at least 5 pounds weight. I only tried it one time each trip which was often. Coming and going down to pipe I would always make a couple of passes trolling close to the rocks on the inside of the breakwall. It always produced. I caught a couple of legal halibut by trolling Rapalas there. Always a sand or calico bass though. I could tell you fish stories and spots outside the harbor all day long but I'll leave it alone for now.
    Bcool

Adams

10. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Mr. Adams.... you are right about the slow trolling.... in fact, I think that you are the "ole" guy that gave me some cuda years back..... I had an alum "bayrunner" back then. I use to troll the same spots years back....Now the fish are not here..... even on the rock piles "reefs" off the Venice pier are rather slow...The sand bars at the end of jetties have produced butts for me, but I haven't tried the troll like I use to when going out. The pipe is good for Calico, when things are happening... Thanks for the memories and the post..... now if the "red tide" can stay away we might get back into some better Santa Monica Bay fishing.....Sure was nice when you could get dorado by the tankers, but that has been a decade ago at least...

bayrunner ray

11. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Baracudas are still around, my buddies lauched their boat out of Cabrillo beach and headed out to horseshoe kelp. The berries were boiling on the surface! at one point, they had four rods out and all rods went bendo! Don't be surprise if anglers start catching yellowtail soon.
    FYI, the bait reciever is in full operation and is located near the Cabrillo pier.

Jaime

12. badams

badams New Member

State:
    california
    I think he meant anywhere close to MDR?
    The barracuda inside the harbor are seldom of legal size. Mostly around 20" but still allot of fun to catch. I've caught all kinds of fish off of pipe. Not just calicos. I've probably caught more sand bass there actually. A good spot to try is what I used to call the 2 mile bouy. Leaving out of the south opening you head more or less straight out about two miles and you should see a bouy there. Go passed it and drift back by with your bait on or close to the bottom. I usually used a Scampi tipped with squid. I had allot of luck there in the late afternoons when the water was choppy. A bomber with a bucktail and tipped
    with squid was also good

13. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I had to go down to O.C. Tuesday to attend to a problem that came up and I figured as long as I was in the area I'd hit the 'shoe.
    I phoned the L.B.M.S. office at 5AM to check on the load for their 3/4 day boat The Enterprise and was told there were 32 people signed up. I put my name in and headed out the door for the 20 min. drive the landing.
    I paid my fair and went and stood in line to board.
    By the time we were away from the dock there were over 50 people on board.
    On the way out I'm not sure what was going on but we passed the bait receivers and headed out of Angels gate toward Palos Verdes when the boat was turned around and headed back to the receivers at the north end of the federal breakwater.
    Once there we took started taking on bait when the bait boat pulled up along side and began loading bait directly from their hold onto the boat, All the time being watched closely by 8 armed coast guardsmen that were on board along with the sheriffs boat that stayed along side. At any rate, we finally headed out to the Horseshoe to do some fishing, hot bait and all.
    After a couple of false stops we finally dropped anchor and the deck hand started chumming heavily, staying out of the press on the stern I move to the bow to fish my iron, I hooked up with a decent sized 'bari to start the day for every one.
    Soon there were a number of hookups and I retired out of the crowd to watch (once I hooked up on the bow for some reason it got crowded).
    After the bite slowed down we moved a little ways to try and get some sandies. It took a while to get them to respond to the chum but when they did it turned into a pretty fair bite with a few 4-6 pounders mixed in. I only landed a couple of sand bass of decent size and a few shorts along with some calicos which I released. But I didn't fish much because of the crowding at the rail.
    Turns out there was only one deck hand, the cook ( who seldom came out of the galley) and the Captain who at some point decided to come out and lend a hand on deck.
    I think if there had been less people on the boat and an extra deck hand this could have been a nice trip but I don't like the cattle boat loads that you have to put up with.

14. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Tom, you did pretty good considering the amount of people on the boat.

Jaime