Yes! I finally caught something flathead fishing!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by CatFighter, Jul 20, 2009.

1. CatFighter

CatFighter New Member

State:
    Morgantown, WV
    I've been reading people's threads about fishing logjams, so I located one near my house and tried it out. And, I actually caught a fish!

[​IMG]

It wasn't a flathead, but I'm happy.

Maybe next time I'll catch a flatty.

:smile2:

2. 1 4 Fishing

1 4 Fishing New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    well at least you caught one lol

3. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Put a hook through it's back and throw it back out there!!!!

4. CatFighter

CatFighter New Member

State:
    Morgantown, WV
    Don't think I didn't consider doing that, LOL!

5. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Nice man. I've never even seen a walleye that would be real cool to me. keep fishing and soon you'll get to see one of the nice monsters. And yes.. if it's legal I'd put that dude on a hook in a second, especiallyif he's hanging out by a logjam. There's probably a flat in there waiting for something to be wrong with him so he can have a snack.

6. CatFighter

CatFighter New Member

State:
    Morgantown, WV
    It's not legal here. I can use bluegill, sunfish, chubs, suckers, and even carp (and I think little channel cats and/or mudcats), but not game fish.

It's definitely not a river known for its walleye, but this is the second one I've caught here! At first, I thought it was a longnose gar, which are everywhere on this river.

Well, at least I got a picture to show my wife, in case she thought I've been going to the girlie bars in stead of fishing all these times ("Why doesn't he ever catch anything?!")

LOL, if you're not a catfisherman, you don't understand!

7. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Never know what you've got till you see it, but wally makes for good eating:wink: Stay safe and stay with it till you stick a pig!!!

8. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    walleye is good eatin too

9. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey I would take a Walleye any day! :big_smile: Thats good eating! :wink:

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

You sure about not being able to use game fish? I couldn't find where it said that.:confused2: Would you care to show where it says that?
    I fish in WV some and have never heard or saw where you can't use game fish for bait as long as you catch them legally.:confused2:

11. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Walleye is to dang good to use as bait! I think it's the best tasting fish I've ever had!

12. CatFighter

CatFighter New Member

State:
    Morgantown, WV

I Stand corrected!

Catfishjohn is 100% correct, according to the WV DNR law enforcement officer I just spoke to.

If you catch the fish hook-and-line, you can use it as bait; you cannot purchase or sell game fish as bait.

Not that I would have used a 17" walleye as bait or anything, but next time I catch a [very annoying] 6" smallmouth, he's going on the hook!

. . . you learn something new every day, I suppose.

13. CatFighter

CatFighter New Member

State:
    Morgantown, WV
    I agree, walleye (and perch) are my favorite fish to eat. I caught this in the West Fork of the Monongahela, which is a clean river, but the fish always have a weird, plastic-y taste to them because there is a power plant upstream that makes the water brown and gritty-looking with some kind of sediment. Plus, there are a lot of old-style septic systems that dump into it, and it can smell pretty bad when it rains . . . . :0a2:

14. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Thats good I haven't been breaking the law....:roll_eyes::smile2:
    A couple guys on here from WV had told me it was legal to use as long as you catch them on hook & line.
    Game fish make really good Flathead bait!:wink::smile2: