YEOUCH!!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by ozzy, Oct 1, 2008.

1. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Now I know what a bowstring across the forearm feels like. I shot about a dozen arrows today, first time Ive fired off this bow. Did pretty good. first 2 shots at 20 yards was about 2 feet low, i messed with the sight some and got to within a foot below the bullseye. Dead center just low. Kept hitting low so I left and picked up a bow square on the way home. The bottom brush on the hostage rest was pushing up on the arrow so I played around with it. Now gotta go back out and see how it shoots. Ill get there.

2. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Ozzy. Here's a tip for you. Keep the bow arm slightly bent while shooting. If this feels to uncomfortable, then the draw length may be to long. Good luck with the rest. You should be able to get it zeroed in. Good shooting and have a great time. I also wanted to add, make sure you have good follow through on the shot. Don't let the bow drop after the shot. Than can cause low hits. If you're right handed, the bow bow should swing to the left after the shot sequence.

3. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    lol dosent that feel good that wont happen to many times till you learn to hold that bow square lol it will make you take note of what not to do real fast

4. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    I knew what you were talking about by just reading your headline!!!!!!doesnt feel to good does it

5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    All these guys are right on target. The only advice I didn't read here is this; don't hold the bow too tight. That can cause "string rash" also. If you hold it lose and let it float in you hand, you tend to get a more consistent release. I just wrap my index finger around so it just touches the tip of my thumb. The other fingers don't even come into play. Keep trying. In no time at all you'll find what works for you. Another good trick is to have a buddy or a video camera standing off the side, (string hand side) watching your release. Sometimes you can't tell if you are dropping your hand, twisting your wrist, not coming to anchor point, second guessing your release, etc. Someone on the side can identify some of these problems, and soon it will become second nature.

6. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I know the pain! Your draw length is way to long! Take it to a pro shop and see if they can shorten the draw length for you.

7. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    That's good advice Willie! I shoot with my hand wide open and the bow resting on the web between my index finger and thumb and a wrist sling attached to the bow. That way when I release the arrow I'm not gripping the bow to keep it from falling out of my hand and to the ground. The less you touch the bow during the shot the less chance of torquing.

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Being the first time Ive shot a bow, I think I just leaned into my arm. Was watching the level, the pin, trying to keep it in the corner of my mouth, looking at the target, concentrate on my breathing, etc. I had 2 different people measure me and both told me 28" draw length. I did find a small hole in the wall pro shop, if I keep doing it Ill go to them and get it resetup. Thanks.

9. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Dat smarts don't it???? lol :big_smile::tounge_out:

10. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I read about that and I think I was holding a little to tight. I figured I better stop, go home and evaluate what I was doing. I hit it again in a couple days.

11. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I wont be doing that again! I think my release is to long, past my finger tip. Gonna short it up a bit.

12. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Here's a tip Ozzy. I don't really recommend doing this for beginners, but it does help with the proper grip. Rubbing lotion or something slick on the grip hand. This helps the hand and grip, slip into the proper position. The pressure point should be in the area of the LIFE LINE on the palm of your hand. This area is located on the meaty part of the lower thumb. Keep the hand at a 45 deg angle for the proper grip. This will help from torqueing the bow. Keep practicing and having someone experienced watching you will help tremendously. Experienced archers go through approx. 30 different phases of the shot sequence, but for now just work on the basic fundementals and it will come to you!!:big_smile:

13. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages

Thanks, I was the only one out there today. Just wanted to get a few out there just to see how it feels. I tell ya Im hooked. I wish I started years ago.

14. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    No time like the present to learn OZZY!! Wish I would of started years ago to. I've been doing it for aprrox. 13-14 years now, but I wish I would of learned at an earlier age.

Actually starting with a traditional bow and learning to shoot fingers is very beneficial for a beginner. Don't get me wrong, I started with the compound and release too. I'm doing just fine and you will too!!:big_smile: Todays bows are made so accurate that a beginner can take a well set up bow and shoot lights out in a matter of a few shots. Considering his or her form and shot sequence are done right.

15. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I remember the first time I got a string burn. I went right out and bought an arm guard for target shooting untill I found the sweet spot for my arm.

Keep on flinging those arrows and watch your groups shrink before your eyes. Some day soon you will hear an odd noise and you'll say to yourself 'what the heck was that?' It will be the sound of your very first robin hood. It's a pretty cool sound and feeling but gets expensive after a while!

Your hooked dude! I too wish I had started sooner.

This dog is ready to hunt!!!!!

16. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    The guy who set my bow up at BPS didnt seem to happy and kind of did it quick. I figure Ill just learn from the best here at BOC and do it myself. Self taught my whole life, why change now. :big_smile:

17. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I almost bought an arm guard on the way home and thought, nope Ill learn the hard way. Ya Im hooked. :big_smile:

18. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I tell ya I was very surprised how quiet this bow is. Its short axle centers 30 5/8. Its a BPS model but made by Diamond. Heck Im going again tomorrow, only six shots tho and evaluate again.

19. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Arm guards are best for keeping your lose camo from getting in the way of a shot. The only time I use one is when I'm hunting. I believe in being self taught. When I started, I listened to everyone that had any advice. I read everything I could find on bow hunting. I tried different rests, different sights, no sights, different anchor points. I tried it all, but eventually I found what worked for me, and stuck with it. Being primarily a bow hunter, and not a target shooter, I found it best to shoot instinctively and eliminate all the gimmicks that break down, wear out, and require maintenance. A baseball pitcher can put a ball anywhere he wants at 90 feet, 30 yards, with no sights. If hunting is your game, I'm sure you can do the same thing with an arrow, you only have to be able to hit a chest cavity the size of a dinner plate) with no sights, just a little practice. People have been doing it for centuries. Byron Ferguson hits aspirin out of the air without and sights, rests, or any other gimmicks. Check this out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLxS8W7lWMU

20. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Now that man is good. :crazy: