Yellowroot

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by kyredneck, Aug 21, 2008.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Didn't quite know where to post this, so here it is. I went to the woods yesterday and dug some yellowroot (goldenseal) for my son-in-law's stomach problem. He's losing a little blood somewhere, whether it's from his stomach or lower tract we don't know, the whatever -scopy hasn't been done yet and the new fangled medicine they have him on is having some terrible side effects and he doesn't want to take it any longer (incidentally he was a doctor in Romania and he's working on his residency over here, and he does believe in the natural approach to healing).

I was raised using (and digging) yellowroot, it was a common household item in a lot of homes around here at that time; it's great for drying up any kind of open sores, especially mouth sores; but it's also great for stomach problems including ulcers,,,and I mean bad ulcers. My brother's ulcers were so bad he was throwing up blood and he started chewing on little bits of the dried root (which are very bitter at first but then the taste changes to an 'earthy' flavor ???) and it cured him. My uncle (father's brother ) had ulcers and he made a tincture with whiskey, took a couple tablespoons a day, and cured his. My mother-in-law's grandmother cured her's by boiling it and making a tea from the yellowroot.

I guess I'm wondering if there's any other 'hillbillys' out there that's had some experience with yellowroot. I've included some pics.

Attached Files:

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I used to make quite alot of money digging yellowroot and gingseng back before I joined the army!

3. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Shane, I dug and sold both also when I was a kid; didn't make alot of money though, the ol' codger that was buyin it took advantage of me, it just gave me some spendin money. Two things I learned to watch out for in the woods while diggin it was copperheads and ground hornets, the hornets were really bad.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    No doubt about that. I hate snakes and they like to hide under the yellowroot plants!