yellowfin tuna

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by plainsman, Sep 25, 2009.

1. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Friends have been going out on the ocean catching yellowtail, skipjack, dorado and yellowfin tuna, so I decided to try it. I got on as an alternate, I didn't think I would have the opportunity. I caught one, kinda made the day worthwhile. For some reason I was seasick and the only time I wasn't was when I was fishing. Couldn't even walk from one end of the boat to the other without getting sick. Couldn't eat anything. Even puked up the seasickness pills. I ate some raw yellowfin and didn't get sick. How about that? Anyway I caught my first yellowfin and I gotta say they pull hard. About 30 people on the boat and we only caught 4, and couple skipjack. I figure I need more fishing stuff now.

2. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Tim glad to here you hooked into some tuna..Tim next time try getting that little patch you put behind your ear the day before your on the ocean it works wonder's:wink You can only get it from a doctor though.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Which ocean? The one on the left or the one on the right?

4. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Is yelowfin tuna supposed to be good raw? If so it should be a good fish for sushi or sashimi.

5. plainsman

State:
    minnesota
    It was the left ocean, went 35 miles outa San Diego.

The pills I took were someone's prescription stuff. I guess I will try some ginger next time if I get out before I see a doctor.

That yellowfin is good raw, a friend of my wife is a sushi chef too, so I'm fortunate there. Fun to catch, but not much meat there really.

6. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    You gotta get your sea legs, LOL. Those pills dont work. A buddy of mine went out deep sea fishing for the first time last week and thought he'd be fine since hes always on a boat at the lake. Doesn't work like that on the ocean because theres no point of referance for your eyes to focus on, like land:wink:.

7. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I got sea sick on Lake Erie while anchored yellow perch fishing; there were these huge rolling waves, no white caps, one after another, they wouldn't stop. Finally someone seen how green behind the gills I was and we put in, thank God.

I'm a sushi addict. I may have a chance at some yellowfin fishing in the keys this winter; I'm anxious, I'll have some soy sauce and wasbi on hand and will enjoy it fresh! (if i go)

8. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    tim was that your first tuna? if so do you know the tradition?

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I went of Mission bay in 2002 and got my first yellowfin tuna too!

When you know you are gonna fish off a boat in the ocean and don't want to get seaq sick, just get plenty of sleep the night before, DO NOT DRINH alcohol the night before, and keep away from liquids with caffeine and acids like coffee and orange juice. also try no to eat fatty/fried foods the nigh before too.:cool2:

10. plainsman

State:
    minnesota
    It was my first tuna. First time tuna fishing. I never used to get seasick, but have been lately, probably from drinking coffee. The coffee I been drinking lately aint' so good, but I'm cutting down so I'm not buying the good stuff either.

First tuna, don't know the tradition, but I mentioned it and no one said anything, even the guy who took me down there, he goes a lot.

I'm thinkin about an overnight trip, so I can get out farther, I got another friend who goes out over 50 miles. He has done real well. I just gotta earn some money first, and right now I'm savin for deer hunting, its a long drive. Seems the warm water is expected to hang around awhile so the fishing might be good for awhile yet. Probably won't have a chance in Oct tho.

11. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I've been offshore a bunch. I'm still after my first tuna. Caught a ton of dolphin, a wahoo, tilefish, seabass, and fought a sailfish before he got off. Luck of the draw, as guys on my charter have caught tuna, one went 130lbs!

For seasickness, get a good night's sleep, a light breakfast, and take any sea sick meds ahead of time, not right before the trip. Dramamine is pretty weak. Go to a doc and get the good stuff, there are different drugs out there that work for seasickness.

Some tips for when you're on the water are to try facing forward with the direction of travel (or face backwards if you can't face forward). Stare at the horizon or a distant object since there is less relative movement for distant objects. Never sit sideways to direction of travel. Try to stay outside in fresh air and avoid the cabin. The smell in some boats' cabins are enough to make me sick.

These things really help. I've been seasick before and it's literally the worst thing I've ever experienced in my life. You really wish you could die rather than deal with the feeling.

12. plainsman

State:
    minnesota
    This seasick wasn't bad, just an inconvenience. I got some pickled ginger to try next time. Bein seasick seems to be worth it to me. I went thru a couple typhoons bobbin around like a cork, ain't had a problem after that, but then one night we went to the club and had quite a time, was sick bad the next day, and was sick in the Indian ocean once, but now getting sick on small boats so I reckon more sleep, less coffee and try the ginger. It is just inconvenient at times, I just puke and get back to what I was doin. I haven't been so sick I would decline fishing yet.