Yellow wood - Any Flathead Catfish there?

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by ThaWstSide, Oct 7, 2008.

1. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Has anybody ever heard of any Flats coming out of Yellowwood?, I havent been to this location in quite some time (probably around 13-14 years old). I am unsure if the lake is still there, or if it is fished out. I know that there wasnt much of a spillway, but the lake looked hardy enough back then for bass, and I have caught quite a few from there.

2. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    I fished there this summer one afternoon. They are re-building the spillway. It appears like they are making a waterfall type spillway for swimming. They are also improving the camping area with new gravel and water lines. The lake is stacked with bluegills. I heard the catch some monsters in there. We caught quite a few nice ones. We also caught a lot of smaller bass. I'm sure there are some channels in there but we did not target them. I was on a "gill for the wall" mission.

3. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Do they still have a huge Moss "problem" like years past?, that is the main reason we havent fished there in years.

4. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    There was a point near the West side of the dam that had some moss. The North end is probably mossy in the shallow swampy area. The rest of the lake was clear. Sure would be pretty there with the fall colors this weekend.

5. diver268

diver268 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have heard alot about this place. Can someone please tell me where it is located and how to get there from Indianapolis ? Thanks for any help

6. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    Take 46 East out of Bloomington around 10 miles to Jackson Creek road. At the sharp bend below the dam is a gravel road that is blocked off. I parked there and walked to the dam. It's under construction so you can't drive in that way. I don't know if it was legal(not posted). If you continue around you will see the park/camping entrance. It has a pay station for camping and day use. 5 bucks for day use is the usual in State Park fee. Make sure you have a sticker for your canoe or kyak too. By the way there was a 3 foot copper head sun bathing on the rocks at the dam near the waters edge so be on the lookout. I came in from the North side but it was pretty rough. Creek crossings with no bridges. Need a state atlas to navigate. Personally I would only go back with my canoe and target bluegill. I was working in B-town and some guys that turkey hunt that area told me it's got nice gills in it. It would be a nice place to take the family for hiking and pan fishing. I doubt it has flathead. Just too small to support them. I'm sure the state has probably stocked channels in it too.

Attached Files:

7. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    If you want flatheads, head down the road to Monroe. It's got some monsters

8. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    That it does.... I would like to get out there at least one more time this year

9. Flattiestalker

Flattiestalker New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Man, it costs way too much to experiment there.(Monroe) 'bout 80 or 100 bucks to pull my boat there and back and gas in the boat, or I'd fish it alot more.

I'm sure though, you could hap hazzardly anchor around any of the rockiest shores near a hole there and catch a flathead or two with three poles in the water... thats pretty much what I did last week, but the action was not worth the cost.

Any time one or two of you guys wanna foot the fuel bills though, I'll supply the ride and the boat.... short of that - I'll fish for flatheads locally for a total cost of less then 5 bucks - lol, I'd way rather go to say.... the Ohio for a few bucks more.

10. Flattiestalker

State:
    Indiana
    Oh and Max, If you (or anyone else) know Monroe, I'm all ears....

11. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Oh Flattiestalker... Watch what you ask for, I been pretty reckless-abandon with my funding here in recent weeks. I might just have to plan a weekend or something off and take you up on that Gas bill to try and land me something HUGE! :smile2:

By the way, how did last night go for ya? I really wish I could have been there!. Believe me, I will be calling you here real soon to try the river with ya!

12. Flattiestalker

State:
    Indiana
    3 flatties by around 9-9:30 then went home - nothing sizable enough to brag about... caught the heck outta smallmouth earlier though.
    give me a shout when your ready. Your welcome to come on out today if you want to fish at Dr peppers house. (I already talked to him) Blues are biting in the sunlight, but the flatheads won't feed until around 8:30.

13. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    I might do that, I want to make sure I bring my mom with me but not sure she is up for it. She went in to work this morning around 6, and got robbed at about 630. She is shaken up and bruised from being pushed to the ground, but she might be up for some fishing to bring her spirits up!. Oh yea, Blues in the sunlight?, I have never caught one of those or seen one in person, I would love to catch one of those. :)

I will let ya know as soon as possible, wtg on catching 3 last night. Better than a skunker...

14. Flattiestalker

State:
    Indiana
    OH - WOW - man! I'm glad she's okay! Yeah- bring her with you for sure if you decide to come... man that's terrible!!! What the hell is the world coming to... unreal! That had to happen in the city? Damn crackhead punks.

15. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Yea, she is a cashier at Meijer. She was clocked in, and waiting to open her lane and he walked up behind her. Told her he wanted in her register, he got distracted when he heard a voice and she got away from him, but he followed her and cornered her. Told her since he couldnt get any money from her register that she was going to give him her own money. He held her and went thru her pockets and took her wallet, and then he pushed her to the ground against a wall.

I swear to ya, if I would have found him this morning when I was looking for him with the police. I would have broke his neck for him, I am very protective of my mom and I will kill to protect her and my children.

16. killmore

killmore New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey man sorry to hear about your mom getting robbed. I'm glad shes ok. Hopefuly the police will get that guy. and hopefuly you'll get into some nice flatties. Good luck fishing, and prayers for your mom.

17. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    WOW sorry to hear about your mom jim!:sad2:! Why didnt you call n round up the indy crew??? you know we woulda been right there!!:confused2: Glad to hear she is ok though.. Ive only met your mom once, but can tell shes not one to mess around with..seemed like a firecracker! suprised she didnt break his neck, then take his wallet!!:smile2::smile2: THAT, my friend, would have made for a comical thread!!

Speakin of DPs place, whens the get together? Shane told me it was a nice place.. Said DP was a little odd though, so we might have to wait till he is out of town, and flattiestalker can show us all around. heard he is better anyways:smile2:

18. Flattiestalker

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah I think DP is mad 'cause I caught a bigger fish then he did the other day when we went fishin' together. And I agree, I hate to talk about him behind his back-- but, he is a bit odd :eek:oooh: He knows it though!

Hey Jim, it was a pleasure to meet you, your folks and your two little girls today!

19. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    I appreciate the well wishes brothers, she is a little spooked about going to work in the morning, but I told her I will be just a bat of the eye away from her. I am going to drive up there, and kinda hang out in the "shadows" in case the guy has burnt up his brain on drugs and tries it again on a 2nd straight day. My mom is tough, she has kept our family together, but when she is 61 it is hard to fight someone off when you dont expect it and arent usually in that situation and know what to do in just that instant.

And Flattiestalker, you are the man! I really appreciate you inviting me over and it was great to talk with you and take in information on fishing, etc... I loved your place, and dream of a place of my own like it someday. You was right my friend, you said drop the shrimp and throw on a chub minnow, and it wasnt 5 minutes after I did my clicker was "singing" but my big ole crippled up self couldnt get up fast enough and it sucked that chub of that big circle hook.

As I promised, I will be bringing you a "load" of gills tomorrow. Myself, and my pop are going to the White River tomorrow to load up on them. I am going to try and bring as many as possible in a live tank with some air. I figure, whatever ones die, I will cut up and use for bait tomorrow. Man, I am really amped up and wanting to catch a Blue Cat so I can see one and say I have actually caught one.

Once again, I really do appreciate it and I cant wait to be able to take you up on the trip down "or up" the river to catch some Flatties from the boat.

20. Flattiestalker

State:
    Indiana
    Well, you should do good with live gills 'round 8:30 for flatheads. Minnows- mashed or live and worms will work good on those blues in there as well.
    Heck man, Shane threw away some skip jack the other day:crazy: