Yellow River - baits for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'FLORIDA RIVERS TALK' started by bigmaac73, Mar 5, 2007.

1. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    I am planning about a 3 day outing on the Yellow River this summer and am starting to plan early. I have plans to get plenty of good bluegill, and big shiners, but other than that, what others would you verterans recomend here on the Yellow River. I will be fishing from Crestview south to whenever I feel like turning back. Want to cover at least 30 miles of river. Should be easy in 3 days. Staying mobile and trying to get active channels and blues during the day and anchoring up for big flatheads at night. Anyone ever tried Bullheads down here? They worked really well on some of the northern rivers that I fished in Kentucky and Indiana, but not sure about here. I know there are plenty of carp in the local ponds, and those usually work well, but are there suckers or creek chubs down here. If so, where can I find them?

2. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    I already put this thread on the local florida talk page but I got no responses, so I was hoping maybe some more people would look at it here and give me some info...

I am planning about a 3 day outing on the Yellow River this summer and am starting to plan early. I have plans to get plenty of good bluegill, and big shiners, but other than that, what others would you verterans recomend here on the Yellow River. I will be fishing from Crestview south to whenever I feel like turning back. Want to cover at least 30 miles of river. Should be easy in 3 days. Staying mobile and trying to get active channels and blues during the day and anchoring up for big flatheads at night. Anyone ever tried Bullheads down here? They worked really well on some of the northern rivers that I fished in Kentucky and Indiana, but not sure about here. I know there are plenty of carp in the local ponds, and those usually work well, but are there suckers or creek chubs down here. If so, where can I find them?
    [​IMG]

3. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Justin----don't know about that part of the state BUT come on over to the Suwannee and join us on May 5th.
    Have a great day.
    Walter

4. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Justin,
    Never cat fished on the yellow river but have done some other fishing there.
    Its a great place to fish and nice views.
    Good luck and keep us posted.
    Note: take along some crickets and some #6 hooks.
    An orange or two will feed them for a few days.
    Have fun!

5. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    A couple of things about fishing here in Fl., there are no creek chubs and carp are illegal to use for bait. I am not sure about the suckers. I have used bullheads and they work well for flatheads if you can get them. Problem is that most rivers that have flatheads have the bullheads eaten out of them so they can be hard to get. Bream(bluegills) are a top bait here. Easy to catch and the flatheads love them. Shiners work well but the roach shiners are the best I have found to use. Never fished the yellow river but most rivers I fish for flatheads here are usually the same, deep holes during the day and shallower at night. Good luck...