Yellow River bait?

Discussion in 'FLORIDA RIVERS TALK' started by weinerdog, Jul 9, 2008.

1. weinerdog

weinerdog New Member

State:
    Florida
    What is your favorite bait for the Yellow River in NW Florida? I used Crawfish with the claws torn off (on bush hooks) in April and cleaned up on Channel Cats. It was the first time I tried using it and only because I couldn't find mullet at the fish store. It worked a hell of a lot better than mullet though!

The best I've ever found though has been filleted strips of fresh Jackfish (pickerel). You can't legally use it on bush hooks or trotlines since it's considered a gamfish but it's ok on rod and reel. The results are amazing. It is hands down the best channel cat bait I've ever used in this river. If you catch one someday give it a shot, you'll be suprised. I now consider catching a jackfish the same as winning the lottery!

2. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    Hey, nice to hear from another yella man. I have been trying to fish the yella this year without good results. Well, without results at all really,lol. I caught one flattie out of there a few months ago but nothing since. I soley fish R&R though. I caught that one flattie on a live bream next to a big root ball next to the hwy 87 bridge. I heard some guys say that they had good luck with the crawfish but thats all i know. You ever try for flatheads on the yella? I am being told that the limb-liners are doing pretty well.

3. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    Also, where on the river where you catching those channels at? I have been after those things for a while now and cant seem to locate any channels. They are usually the easiest to find back home.

4. weinerdog

weinerdog New Member

State:
    Florida
    I'm fishing the Yellow over closer to Holt and Crestview. (Further upstream from Hwy 87) I usually put in at Carr's landing and fish downstream between Carr's and the Campground.

The Channels I've been catching have been mostly in the Shoal River which drains into the Yellow near CVW. When I fish with crawfish I catch channels almost exclusively. (on limb lines) I was suprised because I didn't think they would give off enough scent. I'm thinking of experimenting and using the meat from live crawfish tails for rod and reel fishing. (I'm hoping that removing the shell with make them give off more scent and attract fish quicker since I have to let whole crawfish sit overnight on limblines.)

I have noticed over the past 2 years that Flatheads seem to be taking over in the Yellow and my catch of channels has gone down while flatheads are increasing.

The limb liners are doing extremely well with flatheads in this area. Unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it there was a guy about a month back that was putting out 100 hook trotlines with live bream and catching ALOT of them. I think FWC finally got him though.

I have mixed feeling about bream as limb line/trotline bait for flatheads. On one hand I understand it's a game fish but on the other I also think we need to do something to reduce the number of non-native flatheads.

5. DWMeyer98

DWMeyer98 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Last night 3 friends and myself went out on the yellow after the rainstorm was over. We ended up using shrimp and the old standby of nightcrawlers. The seafood market had no crawfish this time of year and I did not have the chance to go and catch bream during the day. We caught about 15 tiny channel cats, a tiny bass, and one small eating size fish. We threw him back though. We were fishing upstream from the Gin Hole landing. It was a good time, but I would like to become more famaliar with the river before I got out at night again. It is too hard to locate good spots in the dark, even with a spotlight.

6. weinerdog

weinerdog New Member

State:
    Florida
    I'm glad you caught something even if it wasn't eating size. If you want to try another area on the yellow river that's a little better keep going down range road 211 (Rattlesnake Bluff) past Gin Hole until you come to the sign for Carr's Landing. It's about 2-3 miles past the Gin Hole sign. There's a good boat launch there and the fishing is good both upstream and down.

7. ctcfl

ctcfl New Member

State:
    Fla.
    Any idea if there are any good bank fishing spots around carr/ gin hole? I am in Crestview also, been driving up to Karick lake for my cats... That's a good spot to take the family too by the way...

Thanks,
    Chris

8. weinerdog

weinerdog New Member

State:
    Florida
    For bank fishing Gin Hole is probably the better of the two. It's family friendly and there's a good spot you can set up folding chairs right between Gin Hole and Little Gin Hole where a clear water creek empties into the river. I've caught some nice ones sitting there with cut bait and alot of smaller ones with nightcrawlers.

An old timer I knew who passed away a couple years ago caught a very big Striped Bass at this spot while catfishing. (A nice side catch!)

In the winter time people bait this area with burlap sacks full of cotton seed meal to draw in the suckers. It seems to draw the cats too.

Good luck, and thanks for the tip on the lake! I've never been there so I think I'll give it a shot.