Yellow perch

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by south_va_fisherman, Sep 11, 2007.

1. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    Well I was fishing Sunday and caught a couple. I had never even seen one before. I had no idea we had them around here :big_smile:. How do you guys catch them? I read a little about them on the internet. tehy seem worth your time to fish for. They get bigger than bluegills i guess?

2. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I usually use live minnows suspended under a bobber to catch them. :wink:

3. philly'swife

philly'swife New Member

State:
    Phila. Pennsylvania
    Those Becks Pond perch were kind of big. They hit like LM bass.

4. Howie Ketchdem

Howie Ketchdem New Member

hey brother, i fish perch alot they tend to like 15-30 feet but up 2 50 of water thats were you will find the big uns but expect average 2 be 10 - 11 inches but up to 15 being a jalopy. but use minnows drop shoted on drop off and grass areas hard to soft bottom transitions weeds and even sand flats have also caught in rivers out side of the fast current but i'll tell ya right now u font find a better table fish. deep fry em and youll be a perch fisherman for life. perch spawn in early spring march-april and the action during that time of year can be amazing 30-50 fish in 1-2 hrs pulling em in 2 at a time with spreader rigs. i would say give it a wirl and if youd like send me a p/m with more info about location fishing and i should be able to give you some useful tips.... good luck.

5. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    My key to finding them back in the midwest was always rocks, or a combination of rocks and grass, for the bigger ones anyway. I could always find small ones near embankments and dam walls, but the biggest ones I've ever caught came around rock jetties and docks with rocks and weedlines adjacent to the docks.

In shallower water situations that I came to know for catching yellow perch, jigs with minnows were number one, but they aren't overly picky and will also eat crawlers and leaches pretty readily. If the bite is real strong, atrificial is the way to go to keep the smaller ones from picking your bait away. A twister tailed grub, artificial minnow, or small inline spinner can also be quite effective.

6. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    thanks guys, i think im gonna try to catch some tomorrow will the kitty rods are waiting for a bite:wink:

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I don't target them but I do catch plenty while crappie fishing. They'll hit small jigs and minnows even if they are on the bottom.

8. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Any sort of small live bait except for crickets should work well for them. I've caught some larger ones back home while fishing for cats with a big wad of crawlers. They will hit smaller lures as well, they seem to really like a small beetle spin, but hey what doesn't hit a bettle spin?

9. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    We have good luck catching them with Mepps type spinners. use a Gold or glittery blade, works pretty good.