Yellow Perch

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Catmansc2006, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Catmansc2006

Catmansc2006 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Anybody know if they are any yellow perch in SC? Lets say maybe up in the upstate? Just curious as they are a great eating fish.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Don, welcome to the BOC. Yellow perch aren't an extremely common fish in the lower part of the state, but thay can be found and caught. Like you said, they make great eating. They like minnows and jigs, from my experience, and they won't turn down a juicy earthworm, either. Most that I've ever caught are over hard, sandy bottoms, pretty much. I seem to remember someone getting into some nice sized ones in lake moultrie last spring, maybe SnookerHooker. They also make excellent catfish bait if you've got some smaller ones. As for the upstate, I'm sure they have them, but I've never fished up there for them.

3. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Lake Russel is the best place for yellow perch big ones too. I've never been there myself but alot of my perch jerkin buddies go over there all the time.They catch alot of white perch, spotted bass, and largemouth but alot of what they catch are big yellow perch.Alot of people call them Isanhowers/

4. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have caught a couple in hartwell while bream fishing.

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Greenwood and Wylie have they're fair share of them. One of the biggest I've ever caught was at Wylie. Monticello has a few but very few. Wateree has them to but I haven't caught many there either.

6. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I think the white perch have an effect on the yellow perch just like they do the white bass.There not in Greenwood like they used to be either and neither is the white bass.

7. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    This time of year you can catch plenty of good sized ones at the hatchery on lake moultrie. Theyre nothing like the jumbo Lake perch back home, but theyre the nicest ive seen here.

8. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Any particular area around the hatchery, Royal? I know there were some caught over there last year.

9. snooker_hooker

snooker_hooker New Member

State:
    sc
    the main channel at the hatchery is loaded this time of year. last year at this time we would catch 50-60 and keep 15 to eat. all caught on 1 in white curly tail jigs with 1/8 or 1/ 16 oz jig heads. or troll real slow with gree beatle spins the smallest size.

10. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I watched the Carolina Outdoorsman this morning and they were catching a bunch of big perch on Lake Jocassee.

11. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    How did you do saturday? I tried to call you after I got home, but didn't get an answer. Left a VM, though. Let us hear from ya! :big_smile:

12. we've always called them redfin. We catch them off our dock this time
    of year right before crappie move in . never fished for them as the target fish, always caught a few while fishing for crappie out in main lake. Never kept them to eat as i was always told they had lots of bones.Maybe we've been missing out. i do like to use the smaller ones whole for catfish bait.

13. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    We always catch a few on the right side of the canal right where the flat opens up to Harry's.I don't know why they hang there,but a few is always there.

14. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    I've done pretty good catching yellow perch on lake russell. WE catch a lot of them in feb/march fishing deep structure with minnows. THe biggest ones i've caught are around a pound. I have also caught a few on hartwell, but not consistently.

15. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I have also heard them called sand trout.

16. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    My dad moved up north about 20 years back and after being there for about six years sent me and my brothers a picture of a day spent ice fishing.....In dis-belief and in shock we stared at that picture of him bundled up in a snow mobile suit on a frozen lake with about 6 or 7 yellow perch laid around his feet. It was then that we got together and decided that we had to get Dad back home and quick. The man had been reduced to catching junk fish in extreme conditions to enjoy the outdoors. The only time we have ever taken a picture of these was when we were playing boat paddle baseball with them and connected with one for a home run. In our eyes........they were boney junk fish that would eat up all your crappie minnows and we would move to a new spot if they started biting..

17. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Although it has been many years since I ate one I don't remember them being "boney". For sure they would steal your bait. The thing I remember about them was the small scales that were hard to get off and it they got dry it was about impossible to scale them. We caught many in the Santee Swamp.