Yellow Perch

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by breadboy, Jun 21, 2006.

1. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hi guys,
    I found a lake in my area that has yellow perch, and would like to add them to my list of fish species caught(plus they look cool imo and I've heard they are tasty). What is the best way to catch them? Thanks.

2. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Hey man u cant go wrong with a little small hook like a 8 or 10 maybe even smaller if u r going for small fish but here in my area they dont get to big maybe if your lucky 1lb but anyway i always use either a really small jig or just a plain old worm. or doughball.

3. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks. I have plenty of long shank size 8 hooks in my box that I use for bluegills and shiners. Just a good ole' worm, hook and bobber rig huh?

4. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    yea thats how u do it they dont fight very hard but if u use 2 hooks and hook 2 the fight a little bit better lol there good eatin if u can get enough for a fish fry. u can use just a light little weight if they arent bitting on the top.

5. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ok, I'll try one hook crappie nibbles and the other hook red worm. If they don't bite with the bobber rig, I'll just keep the split shot on and take the bobber off. Thanks.

6. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i do the best with minnows on bottom or on bobber. Get crappie minnows, if they dont hit that then i dont kno what to tell you

7. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    ya ,shinners are the best bait. go to bottem and lift your rod tip a little at a time,thats when theyll strick on the upswing.:smile2:

8. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I am going to try this rig with two hooks and a sinker. One hook worm and the other minnow. I will put a small piece of styrofoam to suspend the bait up. Thanks guys.

9. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Ive never had any luck with minnows but thats just around here and the perch here are real small so maybe they dont like minnows. lol

10. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    I had never even caught one until back in '93 I believe it was while fishing Pactola Reservoir in South Dakota. I was actually fishing for trout for 3 days while my parents and grandmother gambled in Deadwood(gotta' have your priorities set right. LOL!!!). After two days of wearing the trout out(trout would hit the bait everytime before the sinker hit bottom, this lake is EXTREMELY deep, and I never counted past 18 before having a fish on, it was awesome fishing to say the least.)I decided to fish with jigs on the last day just to see what I could catch. I used 1/16th and 1/8th oz Renosky Lures Keystone Jigs in Perch color. I absolutely wore out the yellow perch!!!!!!!! I caught some dandies, too, with alot of them nearing the 12-13" mark. It was every cast as fast as I could throw it in. I remember that it was around the same time OJ was trying to outrun the cops, so I'm guessing June as the month? The people running the campground there turned out to originally be from Kansas City, so I ended up giving them my fish each day. To say they were pleased was an understatement. I'm thinking of returning next month to fish for a week there and relax. Fishing was AWESOME there. God bless.

11. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i fish for perch the same as gills and redear. nightcrawler or redworm on small red hook. use small bb sinker 24" or so from the hook, and tight-line them.

12. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Good luck trying to round up the Yellow Perch. Hope ya get a mess of em.