Yellow neck Squash

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by catfish slick, Jul 31, 2009.

1. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    I had posted early in the season how I was haveing trouble with My Squash, not doing well. they would make lots of small squash, but they would just get about two inches long and then die. well I pulled those plants and replanted with new plants from a different place and Now they are doing great. I think I had just bought some bad plants the first time. one thing I have noticed this year is the Lack of bees in the garden, It's just been the last couple of days that I have seen any bees at all in my garden, now they are working the squash Blooms big time. I use to be a commercial bee keeper and I did Pollination for the farms, and I know how Important they are for making some crops. anyway I was wondering if any of you are seeing a lack of bees in your gardens this year. I see on the news, that the bees are disappearing world wide and they have no idea what is happening. some of the people doing research think it is caused by all the telephone waves sent out. they think it may disorient the bees and they loose their way back to the hive. some bee keepers have been completely wiped out, and lost all their Hives, If we loose our bees that is going to make food prices go out of site.

2. tyrupp

tyrupp New Member

State:
    Ellis,Kans
    I haven't had any problem with lack of bees, I have kept two hives a the end of the garden for five years now. They give plenty of pollination and honey

3. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Not sure if there's a problem with bees, or not. But on our local thread, Catfishing on the Red River/Louisiana, one of our guys, Xdiver, is a beekeeper. Really fascinating work. And his honey is the best I've ever had!

4. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    I sure enjoyed Bee keeping, but to do it right it's hard work and it just got to be a little to much for me. and those suppers get very heavy in the heat of the day.

5. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    We've got one hill of squash that is producing like crazy, and the other two are doing the same thing that you were talking about. Squashes get about two inches long and then kaput. We've got plenty of bees and the only things we're having trouble with are those squash plants and a couple of zucchinis. I didn't know anybody could have trouble with zucchinis!!:eek:oooh: One of the zukes is producing pretty good, so between it and the big hill of squash we're doing okay. Glad you got yours straightened out!:big_smile:

6. Scaley Cat

Scaley Cat Member

State:
    Missouri
    have you checked for squash bugs? They just wiped out my yellow squash, zukes and cukes.

7. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Deb, I had the same problem with my zucchinis. I just had one hill of the Zukes, and one of the yellow neck, and had to pull them both. I went to Wall mart and got me a new yellow neck plant, and I just picked my first squash off of it this morning. It is loaded with squash and doing great. I am like you, I thought you could plant Zucchinis in the middle of a black top parking lot and as long as they got water they would make fruit. I think I had just got some bad Plants.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Plilip,I have the occasional fruit on my squash that whither and die,I just pick them at the first sign of deformity then the plant can put the effort into producing instead of repairing,Also I dust about once a week with the Bayer garden dust.

9. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Thanks Richard,
    I did keep all the bad squash pulled off the vine and the vine just started dying. some the leaves just turned brown and dyed. I will get me some of that Bayer garden dust next time I go up Town. I have another question on my purple hull Peas. This morning while I was picking them, I noticed that some of peas were covered with little bugs that looked like flees. they didn't eat on the peas,they just looked like they were sucking the moisture out them. do you think seven dust would take care of this are I should use something less toxic. any help would be appreciated.

10. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Thanks Ralph. I looked but never seen any bugs.

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yep,sevin or the bayer will take care of that as well.

12. boswifedeb

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Checked under the leaves on the zukes that are acting up and there were some critters that I've heard called leaf hoppers or stink bugs. Here comes the Sevin dust as soon as the showers are gone!!

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Deb,those are squash bugs,I betcha,they are the same shape as them stink bugs,but the lil ones are bright green.

14. boswifedeb

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Yep, almost glow-in-the-dark green, the little $%%$# ! I didn't get to put the dust on 'em tonite, but you can bet your bippy I will tomorrow. They've got me ticked off now!:confused2:

15. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Well I dusted my Squash with the 7 Dust, and it killed all my new blooms that were coming on, and the bees quit coming to squash. Hopefully this will change in a day are two. but It did get rid of the bugs, but at a cost to the squash plant.

16. boswifedeb

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Wow, I've never seen it do that before!:eek:oooh: Hope they recover.

17. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Well My bugs are back, they are attacking my one squash vine and My Purple hull peas', I don't know what an aphis looks like, but I am thinking that is what this is. I know last year after what little rain we did get our hills started turning green from the green grass and with in a week it was all dead. and turning brown. I have a good friend that runs 12000 head of sheep in the area and he was looking forward to a good year for grazing, but the aphis came in and sucked all the moisture out of the grass and it was dead with in a week after he got all his sheep moved in. so I am thinking that is what this is. OH still no bees on my blooms.