Yellow meat on back of channel catfish?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Deltalover, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    In the last year, I have been noticing yellow colored flesh on channels! The bigger the fish, the more discolored meat! I did a search on it and found that other people in other states catch channel cats with same yellow flesh at top. I read that one person said it was iodine and harmless, but I could find no info to back that up. I have been trimming the yellow meat off and only eating smaller channels! Anyone else got any input on this! I do know you should'nt eat "Yellow Snow"! :smile2:

2. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    We Get some of the same thing here in kansas I just trim it off before cooking, along with anything else that isn't snow white

3. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    The yellow meat is just like the mud vane in carp. That is where the toxins and different trash in the water is stored and also in there fatty line down the middle of the fillet. I just cut it out and go on or like you said start eating the smaller cats.

4. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Phil, haven't noticed that in the channels I'm catching here in PA:confused2:

5. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    It's just fat deposits. I trim it and all the red meat out of the filets. When you get a filet that has that "muddy" taste, this is where it comes from.

6. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Always had the yellow meat on the top here in Alabama. I trim it all off. Same with the red streak down the side of a blue cat.

7. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've been skinning channels for 30 years. Seen that yellow strip in all of them. Trim it off on and press on!

8. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Thanks for all the replys. I will continue to trim off everything but the white meat and will probably stick to eating cats in the pound and half to two pound range. I am wondering if the channels from the colorado river have that yellow. That water sure looks a lot cleaner then our muddy delta!

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya i get it alot here in illinois. even in farmpond cats. never even thought about it. been eating it for years right along with the rest.:tounge_out:

10. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Like someone else said, the yellow colored meat is the fat of the fish. On Blues, the same fat line is there it's just a transluent white in color. I trim all the fat line and all the red meat from all the cats for the table. No muddy taste to be found after removing all the fat and the lateral line.

11. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Some of it may be fat, but I steer more towards the toxins and such are stored there. From my experiance, the dirtyer the water, the more yellow meat they have on them.
    When I lived on Gardner Lake I caught a lot of channels that did not have any yellow meat to speak of, but it is a spring feed lake.

I know one thing for sure, that yellow meat is NASTY!

12. Tarheel

Tarheel New Member

State:
    NC
    I have also heard that it is the fatdeposit. You find it in very healthy (fat) channels. I tried cooking some from an 8 pound fat one last week and it definately has a fishy tast. Now I only cook the white parts!

13. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    The yellow is fat.

Fillet your fish and place them in a pan of ice water. Pour about a 1/2 cup of salt on it and place in the fridge. (less salt if only a small amount of fish)

Let it set over night in fridge then take an rinse it off. The meat will be pearly white.

Robert

14. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i usually cut the yellow meat out as well. Typically i have only noticed cats over 4 lbs or so to bear the yellow flesh. IMHO, it is not unsimilar to the red flesh in striped bass.

cyas
    rc

15. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    Its just fat but I use it for bait it works

16. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Good to know, I cleaned my first catfish in several years this Memorial weekend and I trimmed off the 'yaller meat, just seems like I heard to do that some where. Thanks for the information!