Yellow Hornets in Catfish's Stomach?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by festus, Nov 9, 2009.

1. festus

festus New Member

Last week I was filleting a few little eater sized channel cats. I usually don't really bust open their guts to see what they've been eating, but on the last one I looked for curiosity because it was almost dark. I found big yellow and black wasps, most folks call them "yellow hornets" here, but technically they're called cicada killers.

Reckon when a catfish swallows one of these nasty looking critters they get stung? I copied a photo off the Internet and attached it here. I've been stung by yellowjackets, hornets, wasps, sweat bees, and countless other flying insects, but never by one of these monsters. They're huge. Apparently catfish have cast iron stomachs. :eek:oooh:

2. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Another example those bad boys can eat anything. Thanks for the post festus.​

3. That's freaky!!:eek:oooh::smile2:

I see a bee here and there on the water floating down the river, I guess that's how the can get to them. You try putting one of those on a fly rod? Haha!

4. festus

festus New Member

These waspers (cicada killers) weren't your regular, everyday yellow jackets. They're at least 2" long. Actually I've always heard they are beneficial insects because they control the locust and grasshopper populations. It's common to see regular yellow jackets come take a split second dip into my swimming pool to get a drink. I see these cicada killers flying about sometimes, but never in large numbers. They are solitary, burrowing insects. With all the rain we've had lately, these bugs could have washed from underground.

5. festus

festus New Member

I have one of those old Rebel Bumblebug crankbaits, but I have never caught anything on it yet because it doesn't cast well plus it won't run true, so I gave up. I even went down to 4 lb. test and couldn't get it to run properly. It's an awesome looking bait, however. I'm sure a bass or trout would hit it if I kept trying.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Interesting. A first for me. Thanks for sharing.

7. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    That's part of the reason they fight like they do. They are suffering from the worst possible case of indigestion from those wasps.

8. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I once had a catfish puke up a whole paper wasp nest that was full of wasps and larvae,but I don't normally check stomache contents unless the fish are being real picky, never seen those big boys around here,but I've seen the mud daubbers get taken by panfish when they settle on the water surface for a second to get a drink or whatever they are doing.

9. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Interesting post.

First I have seen of that type of insect.

Is that a Yellow Jacket?

Big Boys...

10. festus

festus New Member

No Paul, they're look like overgrown yellow jackets, and technically they're named "cicada killlers" because locusts are their primary food.

11. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I would hate to get stung by one of those bad boys. Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

12. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    that is awesome! thansk for the pics..as usual youve come threw for us and supplied excellent material :big_smile:

13. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ya always find some neat or weird things in a whisker fishes stomach but this one kinda stumps me...

14. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I've heard of people getting stung by them, but the exterminator I know says they are actually "non-aggressive". They walk thru them all the time. I dont take any chances and stay away from them, cause i've seen their stingers, and i'm not sure if it was just my judgement, but the stingers looked like they were 1/2" long. :crazy: Some people here call them horse hornets....supposedly 3 stings from them will put a horse on the ground, but i dont know how true that is.

15. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Festus,Around here we call em"Ground Hornets" I've had them run me in the house because I disturbed them while watering the lawn or rose bushes. They actually kept me at bay in the house for a full day,everytime I opened the door ,Here they came.

16. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    We had those this summer. They were chasing the carpenter bees that have trying to burrow into my cedar siding. They would come by ya and give ya warning fly by.

17. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    :smile2:We were fishing for channels , and I had cut up some gills for bait , ahile they were laying on the bank them little yellow jackets like your rebel was eating on the fillets and I smacked them and killed about 6,, stuck them on a hook and wouuldn't you know it !, the thing went straight down:eek:oooh: done it again the same thing happened. ended up catching 3 channels of the bees ,,,My Bro couldn't stop laughing at me:smile2:,,Iwas catching something and he was not. It was me that should have been laughing you know!!:smile2:

18. festus

festus New Member

Yeah, it's gotten cold enough for the bugs and bees to get gone from here. But next year I'm gonna try fishing with hornets and yellow jackets for bait. We used to knock wasper nests down when I was a kid and fish with the larvae inside. Bluegill loved them.

19. WT101

WT101 New Member

State:
    AL
    I bet it sounds like a B-17 when one of those things flies by.