Yellow channel catfish meat

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by chevyjames37, Jun 18, 2007.

1. chevyjames37

chevyjames37 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I caught several 2-3 lb cats this weekend, and when cleaning noticed that quite a bit of the meat was yellow. what causes this and is it ok to eat? Or is it gonna taste like crap?

2. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    well normally in larger channels u will see th yellow strip along th back bone area. just trim that off an u r good, but if most of th meat looks yellow, hmmm, havent seen that b4, wouldnt try it unless u r just that adventerous.

3. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Ive never heard of that before. If it were me, I would give that fish to the local Conservation Officer, or someone that can get it to a lab and have it tested. Hopefully this is an isolated problem that wont affect your fishing.

4. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The yellow meat is fat. If you drop the fillet in boiling water for 2 minutes then remove it promptly. The fat will remain in the boiling water. If you do not remove the fat from the fillet then it will have a strong fishy taste. The boiling water trick removes the fat and fishy taste. Fry as usual. I heard this idea several years ago and tried it. It worked. I will now eat channels as before if the fish was not a flattie or blue forget it.

Hope this helps.

catman george

5. Shallowdraft

Shallowdraft New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Catman George..Thanks for the tip, I'm goin to try this one as usually I just trimmed it off and threw it away...Cool.

6. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    I've eaten them like that before. Not dead yet (cough cough).:crazy:

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    James welcome to the BOC!!!!

8. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Just fatty meat. Trim it off and go to town...

9. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    but ive had whole fillets that where yellow? i figured it was just blood thruoghout the meat... i mean it didnt taste different... at least not to me

10. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Most of the channel cats I catch have the yellow meat above the lateral line. If I trimmed it off, I wouldn't have much to eat. It doesn't have any different taste then the lighter meat. I usually soak my filets in salt water for 2 days before I vacuum seal them. That is if they dont' get eaten that night.

11. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    the ccf in one of my rivers are like that. i assumed it was from the muddy water they live in.its always muddy in the open water season. another river(conected but seperated by 2 dams) has cleaner looking meat from it. i think the mud as do the toxins consentrates in the fatty meat. i trim all the meat that isnt white off. try it both ways and tast the difference for yourself. the amount and type of run-off will have alot to do with the way fish tast.

12. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    almost all the channels i catch have the yellower meat along the back, and it tastes fine to me and everyone i serve it to. the actual fat on there needs to come off, but the dirty flavor comes from the red meat between the skin and fillet. trim that red off and don't worry about the yellow stuff. that's what i do, and i am normal. well, pretty normal. well, most folks don't think i'm too dang bad. :lol:

13. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Thanks for sharing ............. Keep your poles wet .

14. Fishin'_Fool

Fishin'_Fool New Member

State:
    Moberly MO
    I agree with you "massajorge"...the red meat is what causes the fishy taste. I've found the yellowish looking meat on the edges in several of the fish I catch and it doesn't affect the taste at all.

15. crappieguy

crappieguy New Member

State:
    Manitoba , Canada
    Thanks Catman George, great info. I just came across a couple of cats the other day with yellow mwat on the lateral line. Froze it but will boil before frying.

16. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    The yellow meat is just a concentration of fat cells in that area. Based on what is stored in the fat cells can affect the taste ( pollutants, toxins, etc.), but the "fishy taste" comes from the dark meat below the skin and the "mud Vin" running down the middle of the filet. I remove both the center aea and the outer dark meat, leaving only perfect white, savory channel catfish. Most people will say it tastes like chicken!

17. madcater

madcater New Member

State:
    iowa
    i allways trim yellow of throw it away it always makes it tast muddy but thats me

18. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Be cautious when you eat it. If it kills you, you'll "know better next time".

19. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    It is only fat. Cut it off and fry the rest. Welcome to the BOC.

20. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    That's Some MIGHTY Good advice. LOL.
    J.D.:haha::haha::big_smile_2::beat_brick::byebye: