Yellow catfish (flathead) info..

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by FireWater, May 21, 2007.

1. FireWater

FireWater New Member

State:
    Texas
    Growth of the yellow cat…

How fast does the yellow cat grow a year? I have looked all over the net with no luck. The best I could come up with is a 15’’ fish is a five years old. But that does not sound like good info. What do you think?

Fire Water

2. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I have a book that has a growth table in it of all different species of fish. I'll go find it then and post the table on here.

3. Rhinoliner

Rhinoliner New Member

State:
    Texas
    I read in a book a while back that they can live up to around 20 years old. And they have a growth spurt from around 3 yrs to 8 yrs where they can put on up to 10 Lbs per year. It said that younger Flatheads eat primarily crawfish, but when they reach a certain size, which I think was around 24", their diet switches to almost 100% live fish.

4. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    i found the book.

Age Length Inches(North)/ Length Inches(South)

1 7.5 / --
    2 10.9 / 16.3
    3 14.8 / 24.3
    5 19.3 / 27.7
    7 23.9 / 34.7
    9 28.0 / 36.3
    11 35.5 / 40.4
    13 37.0 / 44.2
    15 40.00 / 46.3

5. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    JMarrs, What book did you find that info in?

6. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    The book is called, Freshwater Gamefish of North America, written by Dick Sternberg. Its part of the series of books in, "The Hunting and Fishing Library." It has everything from identification keys, to growth charts, to spawning habits, to habitat, even the table quality of the fish. It has great info on almost every gamefish in north america from the atlantic salmon, to the largemouth bass, to the flathead, to the rio grande perch. Its an excellent book and i use it a lot. I'll look for a the book on amazon or something and see if i can post you a link.

7. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    It's an excellent buy at only $3. I use it all the time.

8. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Looks like a good buy, especially for 3 bucks...I bought one to add to my growing outdoor library. Thanks for the info.

9. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    That series of books also has an all catfish book as well. Very informative.

10. wiskeredwarrior101

wiskeredwarrior101 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Well I had a guide tell me once that all fish grow differently, it all depends on food intake. He said that 2 pound fish and an 11 pounder could be from the same litter but one got more food.

11. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    The chart provides the average growth rate. It could depend on the body of water too. Like if there is a warm water discharge, the catfish, and all other fish in the area grow faster, because the warm water keeps their metablilism up. This keeps them feeding and growing allll winter long.

12. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I think that in diff waters that they grow at diff rates, was told that a 20# flathead out of the altamaha is much younger than a flathead from its native waters, my guess is that they feed much more on species that have not yet adapted to the predator...say like redbreast, 54 inch flathead was estimated at 13 years old by biologist, dunno....just my 2 cents