Yellow bullhead catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by south_va_fisherman, Jun 22, 2007.

1. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    I know a lot of people hate them, but there is lake around here full of them- lake airfield in sussex county. anyone have some tips for catching them? baits? rigs? only ones ive caught have been a couple in farm ponds fishing for gills.

2. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    well I never fishing there, I have caught some monster bullhead at pond in Greene County by near Ruckersville. I was using worms on plain hook and other I can catch them on chicken liver like as channel rigs. Hope its help you.

3. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    redworms under a float or on the bottom should get them, great flathead bait.

4. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I've used shrimp with good luck through the years. Skinned and with their heads cut off and fried are a good taste treat. Eat them all the time when we catch them.
    Bill

5. got one

got one New Member

State:
    michigan
    small chunks of cut bait work well also. i just use a split shot for weight.

6. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I would fish on the bottom with nightcrawlers.

7. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I catch them all the time in Roanoke river. I use a #2 circle hook and crawlers, I ussually don't use circles but I use the bulls for bait so don't want to hook them too bad. For some reason they won't hit livers. This year I've caught 2 brown trout, 1 rainbow, 1 small mouth and a largemouth fishing for bullheadf with liver. Noightcrawlers don't last 2 minutes once they hit the bottom.
    Chip

8. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    thanks everyone. so crawlers fished on the bottom it is

9. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Worms are the best I have caught them with crickets while fishing for bream

10. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Wow out here i central cali we knock them dead all summer long in the canal's that we fish... We use #2 kahal's about a 18 inch leader and no weight ... They take the same bait as the channel's do liver shrimp sardine's anchovie's shad nite crawler's.

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use a size 3 or 4 circle and no weight. liver or cutbait or worms will kill em. the reason for the bigger hook is so they won't swallow the hook- i use em for bait. since they have that big mouth, when i see the line twitch, i start to reel slowly to engage the hook.
    i have never eaten them, but i hear they are pretty good.