Yellow bullhead catfish as flathead catfish bait

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by hatchie rat, Mar 2, 2007.

1. hatchie rat

hatchie rat New Member

State:
    tn
    i have been catching alot of these an was wondering if thet would stay alive in a 55 gal drum till flatheads start up metal rdum if that matters any ideas thanks

2. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    They should. they are extremely hardy.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Just make sure you keep an aerator and filter or change the water pretty often.If any die,get them out and use them for cut-bait.LOL!
    Good Luck,I'm sure more better advice will come along soon.
    Good Luck to you catchin them big ol flatties!!!

Welcome to the BOC also.Great to have you aboard.Hope you enjoy it here as much as I do!!!

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Sorry,forgot to add this...
    Also,you probably don't have to worry too much about this but make sure you don't over-crowd them.It'll kill them quick.Too much urine & feces/ammonia/nitrates/nitrites in the water,can and will wipe out a bunch QUICK!!!
    That has been my experience though.Hope this helps some!

5. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yeah you might want to set up another tank near by and try to split them up. If they die then I would just freeze them. They may not be as good for the flatties, but if you caught them that easy hopefully you'd be able to catch them easily again.

6. hatchie rat

hatchie rat New Member

State:
    tn
    first thanks for honest answers with out snide remarks i got on other website anyway catching these on lake lajoie on Chickasaw state park they rent the whole thing every year usually when fishin just starts getting good lake goes with it so i end up trying to catch my bait on the river so this year i thought id get what i could before flatties start i like bream but gonna try these bullheads lake is over run with. a little concerned with their size big enough to eat (thinking limb line)any thanks anyone wants to tag alone just holler BTW caught about 40 fiddlers last week before river rose an got muddy my mom loves pan sized cats

7. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    bullies make for really good bait. The other members hit the nail on the head. Make sure that you give them some air and keep the water fairly clean. You may want to quarantine them for 2-3 days when you catch them so they can purge all the junk in them. Then you should be good to go.
    I put them in a holding cooler when I first get them. They will muck up the water immedately. Most filters will not be able to keep up. After that holding period then put them in your main holding tank, feed them small minnows if your going to hold them for any extended period of time.
    Good luck
    thakns
    Larry

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I was Going :tounge_out: to say yep but the other Bros beat me to it

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    if you have access to some water where someone won't mess with them, make you a small wire box and put them in the lake or river. just make sure you keep em out of the sun. i used to do this with shad also, and it eliminates the whole problem of the pump and filter. i had an old iguana cage that would have been perfect, could have fit a few hundred in there.

10. stitch

stitch New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yeah, we used a yellow bullhead, actually a very large yellow bullhead caught out of a farm pond, and went to the Spring River. I had 50 lb test line but no limbs for a limbline so i just tied the 50 lb line to something solid hoping that a cat wouldn't break it. We cut the outer fins off of the bullhead so that it was still alive but bleeding and it wouldn't be so hard to swollow for a flatie. We hooked it through the back and tossed it out. The next day, you guessed it, the line was broke. Big cats will eat big bait, or at least at the right time of year anyways. Good luck!:cool2:

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    oh yeah, make sure it secures good and the wire is small enough to keep water snakes and coons out of it.

12. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Not sure how long you plan to keep them before you use them but you just might be better off waiting and catch a bunch a week or less before you go out flatheading. They dont work for squat dead and they are worthless as cut bait. I only use bullheads and are very easy to get around here so I just get a weeks supply at a time. Remember change their water often...like every other day to keep them lively and healthy. Bullheads are super hardy but not indestructable.

13. hatchie rat

hatchie rat New Member

State:
    tn
    you may thinkim crazy but crawdads are lovin em lots easier than raking i just layed one on an old window screen in some watery grass

14. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    They should stay alive. Bullheads are real hardy.

15. socex

socex New Member

State:
    Industry, Pennsylvania
    I have a question about using bullheads for bait. Is it neccesary to cut the side fins off? If not does it make it more effective or easier for the flattys to eat them. I used a bullhead for the first time last year and got a lot of runs with the same bait, but coun't get a hookset. An old timer told me I had to cut the barbs off.

16. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Flatheads could really careless if the barbs are cut off or not.

17. huntsfromtree

huntsfromtree New Member

State:
    KC Northland
    Bullheads are great bait (one of my favorites) and very hardy. You can probably put many in a 55 gal drum and they will live. I have caught many when they were fry around an 1" and they grow fast I feed them flakes and ciclid food. Good fishin.