Yellow belly

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catfisherman369, Jan 12, 2009.

1. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Anyone ever notice that when fishing and the yellow bellies are biting { this mainly happens when using chicken liver here at lakes ) all of a sudden they will quit biting and the channels start hitting , and while this is going you wont catch a yellow belly ? This happens to us all the time in the summer . We fight the yellows for about an hour sometimes before the bait hits bottom just one after another . Then when someone gets a channel , you couldnt catch a yellow belly if you wanted to . And to top that off at around 4 am the damn carp start hitting the bait .

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Floyd,I never noticed that here,Course if all I'm catching is yellow bullheads I usually move or leave after a couple hrs:smile2:

3. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i never paid attention i fish mostly for blues

4. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I fish for mostly catfish period!:roll_eyes:

5. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I experience the same thing at a few spots where I live. I take it the channels chase out the yellows to feed. Makes you wonder if small yellows would be good bait for channels?:confused2:

6. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    big enough yellow bullheads make a good appetizer then the channels for the main course with hush puppies cole slaw and french fries

7. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Now that you meantion it, it happens to me all the time at a creek I fish. The catfish dont get big enough to eat bullheads, but they probably do scare them off.

The carp bite 24/7, and that's just fine with me, they're brilliant, beautiful, strog fish.

8. Vekta

Vekta New Member

State:
    CA
    I wish that happened to me. Carp or Catfish, I'll take one of each!

Carp is good if you cook it long enough. The bones turn soft. Catfish...well....fish fry!:big_smile:

9. TrophyHunt

TrophyHunt New Member

State:
    Georgia
    This happen to me also. As soon as you catch your first channel the yellows are gone.

10. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    actually for me, the bullheads and channels seem to be in different spots altogether. I figured once that bullheads were much more content near shallow weedy flats and backwater-far-away from the current spots than channels AND channels liked to be near deep spots and near the current....

but I am hampered by the fact that local waters rarely have BOTH. The best spot for channels the river; has few bullheads yet many other waters that have a good population of bullheads have no channels at all. This is espacially true of the local lakes and reservoirs...

while bullheads are small they are very tasty and enjoy catching both bullhead and channels. My experience suggests that bullheads will recover from winter quicker and sometime in march; I will be fishing joyously for 'bait' as it is called by the flathead crowd.