Yellow Bass for Catfish Bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by festus, Jan 20, 2010.

1. festus

festus New Member

Has anyone fished with live yellow bass for catfish bait? I tried chunks of yellow bass fillets last year a time or two and caught some smaller channel cats, maybe 3-4 lbs. I figured a 5" or 6" live yellow bass should be a good bait but not sure it would be as good as a live bluegill.

2. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Any fish that lives in the water your fishing will be ok for bait. I like oily fish for bait best. Don't just use the fillets, get some of the guts on the hook also.

3. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I aint never used yellow bass ,but I sure love using white bass and very small crappie, that's to small for me to eat.

4. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    I have had luck with pretty much any small native fish they can fit in their mouth.

5. Papa64

Papa64 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If it isn't a cat then it can be used as bait. Made our x police chief mad when I told him I use bass for cutbait. He tole me he better never catch me doing it. I told him there wasn't anything he could do if I did.

6. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    If it isnt illegal where you are its fine to do it...As for the question...Use a strong pole...Them little things are frisky

7. MoHunt

MoHunt Member

State:
    Missouri
    In MO MO it's a no no. No listed game fish, parts thereof, nor eggs, and they specifically forbid the bowfin (I call em grinnell), parts or eggs. Can't figger that part out. Would love to use trout heads, but again, NO!

8. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    One of my best big fish nights ever came from using cut yellow and white bass. In fact, we caught some nice Blues last weekend on frozen yellow bass. Works great!

9. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Illegal here but places I have used them where its legal it works

10. slojam

slojam New Member

State:
    scarolina
    how right you are..(about the bass:)i also like to use the little finger size cats i catch in the creeks behind the house,along with the chubs & suckers.

11. slojam

slojam New Member

State:
    scarolina
    that is a really strange set of laws..(wouldn't even want to try to figure out why or who:confused1:

12. festus

festus New Member

I fish cut bluegill quite a bit but the yellow bass are much easier to catch, sometimes 3 on one cast. So in a few weeks I'll get some of those zip-lock snack bags and stock up and freeze all the yellowbellies I can get