Year Round Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by raybait1, Feb 25, 2009.

1. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
  2. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Sweet. I wish I could get Flats all year long.

3. Frankie B

Frankie B Guest

where are you fishing at??? nice weather down in Texas

4. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    Trinity River about 10 miles from the coast. Got the bigger one on a buffalo head the size of my fish. The rest on cut buffalo.

5. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    48 to 52 degrees seems to be the magical temperature when they winter up. If you are in the 60's, your golden.

Are you primarily using small live-baits and chunk baits fished tight to structure?

6. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    Paul, Im mainly using large chunks of carp/buffalo. I hardly ever use live baits. When you can get shad here they die as soon as you pull them out of the water. I got these out of a steep drop off in some heavy current. The hole goes from 15 to 35 feet in about 10 feet.

7. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    Nice fish,I dont know how low the water temps get where I fish for flatheads but there is a TON less fishing pressure in the winter.

8. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    I wish conditions were better up in my neck of the woods for year-round flatheads. Here in northwest Ohio, we're limited to about 4, maybe five months of flathead fishing. I'm interested in your cutbait success. This year, I'm swearing off messing with live bait, i.e., paying for it and keeping it alive. I'm gonna star trying out several different cut baits, including shad and buffalo. I actually have about a five pound buff in my chest freezer. Well, good luck. Enjoy fishin' the Trinity.

9. scwhite

scwhite New Member

State:
    Shreveport , La.
    Year round Flatheads here to in Louisiana , On the Red River . Iam going to hit te river this weekend . After them Flatheads . I use Live Bream I might use some Cut bait . I never use cut bait. Sounds like those Bufflo did you good .

10. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I suspect it's a bit relative. I don't think our SC flatheads are as active at 50 degrees (which is pretty darn close to our winter minimum) as a Minnesota fish is. Even so, I believe that I could stretch things around here so I could at least have a shot at a flathead pretty much 12 months of the year. February might be real tough unless we got a string of nice weather. Actually, though, I kind of like having a break for a couple of months (I usually leave them alone from mid-December through late March), it makes the "fishing season" that much more special and gives me something to really look forward to.

11. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    Ive fished the Red and Caddo lake off and on all my life. I fished the Red around Plain Dealing. Not very far from you.

12. wareagle06

wareagle06 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I fish the altamaha river in south georgia and Im pretty sure the flats bite year round. The reason I say this is I don't fish very much during the winter due to hunting. I usually start in the middle of march and to me this is the best time of the year for me. Mid march to late april. I think its due to the lack of presure. However I did fish last friday night, feb.27, and did pretty good. The water temp was 52 degrees. The altamaha has about 4 feet of tide where I fish and dumps into the atlantic about 20 miles from where I fish. I caught two flats that night, a 25# and a 42#. There was fellow leaving when I was at the boat ramp that had 7 flats that looked to range between 15 and 40 pounds.

13. clay_sosu

clay_sosu New Member

State:
    texas
    I could probably get flats all year on the red river here in north Texas if i had enough time to do it all year. But being a football coach in Texas isn't conducive to lots of free time in the fall. On Lake Texoma they could be had all year but they go so deep and the lake is so big they're just harder to find so you really need a boat which I don't have.

14. wareagle06

wareagle06 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    bob the site would'nt let me send you a message back said I needed to make 8 more post, guess i better get after it. Im still learning how to use this site. I used shiners and bluegills. Mostly shiners I did'nt have a lot of time to gather bait.

15. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    Now with the weather starting to cool off a little how is the fishing on the Red just south of Shreveport? Somewhere near Clarks Marina? I like to put in there and go up river a little and jug line.