Year long campgrounds- Chickamauga

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by stumpjumper, Nov 13, 2007.

1. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I have been trying to locate campgrounds on Chickamauga that are open all year. I know that there are several areas, but most are not answering their phones. I am assuming they are closed for the year.

So far I have only found Armstrong's Ferry just north of the Hiawasse confluence. Does anyone have any information on other camping areas on the lake? Thanks

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Marc I know a bunch that live and fish over in that area and I'll see if they have anything.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Harrison bay is the one I use and I don't know whether its open all winter or not but here is a list of a few over in that general area.

Raccoon Mountain Caverns
    319 W Hills Rd
    Chattanooga, TN
    (423) 821-9403

Shipp's RV Center & Campgrounds
    6728 Ringgold Rd
    Chattanooga, TN
    (423) 892-8275

Best Holiday Trav-L-Park
    1623 Mack Smith Rd
    Rossville, GA
    (706) 891-9766

KOA Campgrounds
    199 Koa Blvd
    Ringgold, GA
    (706) 937-4166

Skull Island Campground
    10815 Birchwood Pike
    Harrison, TN
    (423) 344-7722

Harrison Bay Campground
    8411 Harrison Bay Rd
    Harrison, TN
    (423) 344-7966

KOA Campgrounds
    648 Pleasant Grove Rd
    MC Donald, TN
    (423) 472-8928

Chester Frost Park
    2318 Gold Point Cir N
    Hixson, TN
    (423) 842-0177

Golden Chain Campground
    8511 Hiwassee St NW
    Charleston, TN
    (423) 336-3170

Possum Creek Campground
    1845 Lee Pike
    Soddy Daisy, TN
    (423) 332-2050

4. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Willard thanks for the great information. I will start calling to see which are open all year.

5. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Marc, Please follow up on your findings. I've been thinking about planning a several day trip down there myself. One thing I'm always concerned about is the security of my boat when making trips like that too. If anyone else from the area has more info that would be great!

6. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Shellmound Campgrounds at Nickajack is open all year and is a very nice and quiet place to camp. I would say it is one of the nicest camp grounds we have camped at. The bath house is heated and clean and the showers don't have them blame push buttons on them that turn off every minute or so. Your boat or anything else would be safe there. We just camped there this past weekend with Pete and Marilyn, even though it was cold we had a ball and the colors were great. Pete even caught some pretty crappie on some of the jigs he makes. Judy and I have been to Harrison Bay in the winter time and they were open then but I don't know about now.

Here are some pictures taken at Shellmound.

Attached Files:

7. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Thanks Jim, my wife and I will most definitely camp there this winter. Jon, I found that Harrison is open all year with reduced camping cost of $12. I have not been there but I assume it is nice like many of the other state parks in the area. I like Armstrong's Ferry ($11), it is just a bit far. There we are able to trailer the boat about 20ft to the camp sites and park right next to the tent.

8. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Does anyone know if there are cabins in these areas? Tenting is an option in the fall, but not much later in the year, at least not for me :eek:oooh: It would be cool to find a place where they had cabins and you could moor your boat to eliminate some of the hassle. I suppose if such places exist it would be awful pricey.

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Harrson bay is above the chick. Dam and does have cabins also I think and is a safe place to camp.
    Shellmound is below the nick and is also a nice place and I don't know about their cabins. Crappie and cats are in abundance at both places. I would feel secure at either one.
    Good report Jim and glad you four had a great weekend and donna and I are sorry we missed it.

10. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Yeah, I'll try to let you know ahead of time when I come down to Nick Dam again Jim. Problem is I'm so spur of the moment like the other day I PM'd you. Willard, I'm still waiting on you for a trip to Tim's or Nickajack too :wink:

11. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Marc, when you get down this way, give us a holler maybe we can meet up and visit for a while. You will like Harrison Bay Campground, it is very nice there. I am posting a couple of pictures of Harrison Bay for you. By the way, we are having a gathering there in April of next year, come on and camp with us if you get a chance.

Tncat, Hale's Bar has cabins and some of them are right at the water edge but they are a bit pricey. We will be waiting to hear from you again buddy, hopefully next time we can make it down there.

Willard, we sure missed you and Donna camping with us this time, it just felt incomplete without ya'll being there sitting around the fire whittlin. Talk about so good food, man it was great. Pete found the crappie also so we are going to hit them soon.

Here are a couple of pictures taken at Harrison Bay Camp Grounds.

Attached Files:

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Jim I know who those two boats belong to but for the life of me I don't know any in that crowd:smile2:
    That was my first BOC meeting.

13. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

Jon we will get a crappie trip in the makings here in a few days.