Yazoo River

Discussion in 'MISSISSIPPI RIVERS TALK' started by ratred, May 20, 2006.

1. ratred

ratred New Member

State:
    mississippi
    Anyone fishing on the Yazoo out of Vicksburg or on the Mississippi in that area? Haven't been over lately and wondering how they are doing. Prob. will give it a try soon. Also anyone fish in the MS around the Chotard shoot. That should be a great place on a slow fall.

2. ratred

ratred New Member

State:
    mississippi
    Answer to above. Tried a lake off the Yazoo today. Three Blues, largest was 7, then a 3 and a 2. One channel 2lbs. Not to bad. Will try it again soon. Game warden paid us a visit. Checked everything and all was ok. Be sure to have all safety equipment when on the water. Don't want a ticket, but more importantly it could save your life.

3. dudlbugr

dudlbugr New Member

State:
    Cleveland, AL
    Rat,

Me, Gofish, and Droptines fished the MS River around Vicksburg last Saturday, and caught 7 fish, for a total of about 82 pounds. Did best in outside bends in 25 to 40 ft of water, mostly on rock banks, on fresh skippies.

Good luck!

4. ratred

ratred New Member

State:
    mississippi
    Good report dudlbugr. Do you launch in the Yazoo? I usually go up-river in the MS a few miles. Is that the area you fished? I saw a recent report about fishing up-river.......I Learned why the hard way last year when my friends boat ran out of gas about 5 miles upriver and just before dark. Lucky for us we were able to drift down to the Yazoo and the use the trolling motor to the ramp. Could have been a bad setup if we were down-river. Now I never fish with him without checking the gas myself.

5. dudlbugr

dudlbugr New Member

State:
    Cleveland, AL
    Good idea on the gas! :big_smile_2:

Yes, we put in "downtown", and fished up. All of the fish were caught within 10 miles of the Yazoo, and all of the nice ones were caught on the LA bank.

I mainly just ride and look at my fish finder until I see something I like. Usually, something I like has big fish on the screen; sometimes I fish a "spot" if I've seen several fish in the area, at a similar depth. Sometimes I'll only fish it if I see only 1 fish in the area, and I'll try to anchor where I can put the bait right in front of him. This hasn't worked yet, really, :0a32:
    but I figure it's just a matter of time! Of course, so is winning the lottery!!

6. ratred

ratred New Member

State:
    mississippi
    Thanks for the report. I have camped and fished that area many times. I have never had much luck catching what I see on my finder, doesn't mean I don't try. Think I have better luck just finding a hole and blindly fishing it. Sure gives me more confidance when I see something on the finder though.