Yard work

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by betscam, Nov 29, 2006.

1. betscam

betscam New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Who does yard work? That's a man's job.

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sez who...?:lol:
    Welcome to the BOC

~~~~~~~~~~
    You can't make someone else's choices. You shouldn't let someone else make yours. (Colin Powell)

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    The wife sets up the honey-do jobs and the man carrys them out. His Way:Gets his fishing gear ready. Then his boat ready. Off to the lake today, maybe tomorrow yard work. This goes on day after day for 6 days with Sunday the Lords Day (Rest). Then start back over on monday. Tell the wife you have good intentions just wait a while. If you agree with this, then you will have some brusies.

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I have 6 Saturdays (for fishin etc.) and one Sunday (for restin). Try to do yard work when shes around to help.

5. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Oh the yard work.... the part of home ownership they always seem to leave out of the 50,000 pages of fine print associated with buying a home.

I mow the lawn and fight the sprinkler. I kill the spiders, mice, and moths. I sweep the driveway and pick up the leaves.

We both handle the garden.

We both prune and drag brush to the fire pit.

I build stuff and she stains or paints it. I make the cuts and she holds the vacuum hose by the sawdust port.

I maintain the engines and make sure to peel the black tape away from blocking that flashing light on the dash when she gets home, then fix whatever the warning was and try to hide the tape.

I wash the cars.

She vacuums the house, does most of the dishes, and pretty much all of the laundry. I fold, I wash anything requiring a brisk arm: bathrooms, wood and linoleum floors. I dust everything over 5 feet and she does everything under 5 feet. I wash the dog and she dries it.

Life, my friend, is all about balance. No excess.

I spill it and she picks it up, she breaks it and I glue it.

5 years and counting and we still have not reached that first heated argument... why? Balance and flexibility.

This is my suggestion.

WE just "do". We do together, thrive together, work together, rest together and celebrate each others accomplishments as though there were no other cheerleader in the world for our spouse like one another.

She is gone to go take care of her mom.... and so I am doing it all "for us" as she takes care of my mother in law "for u"s and stays so far away. I wish I could be there too, but I know my responsibilities to work wont let me. So what is left for me then? To be her helper from far away. To give her a comfortable, warm, and inviting home to come home to. And when she gets here, she will assume the role she always does and we both will celebrate each other for it.

Maybe perspective is more important than titles or roles? :smile2:

6. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Betsy, welcome to BOC.

My wife did all our yard before I retired. She has always enjoyed working outside, guess that's because she raised on a farm. Since my retirement we share the house and yard chores. We are usually helping each other in what ever the other is doing.
    Now days it takes us both to get along. :smile2:

7. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hi Betsy! Welcome to the Brotherhood of Catfishermen family. We're glad to have you! :smile2: Make sure you sign up for the BOC rose giveaway, sister. You can find it in the contests and giveaways forum.

Well, when I'm DOING all the yard work I am sometimes THINKING "This is a man's job" :lol:. Around here though, MY home, MY yard work. Been doing quite a lot of it lately, fall ya know :big_smile:. Luckily, I'm actually beginning to enjoy it. I've always relished gardening, but I had to develop a liking for raking and mowing. Of course, autumn is my favorite season. I'm trying to look at the bright side :wink:.

Sal, everyone should be so lucky! What you have described sounds like a relationship based on love and respect..... for each other AND for your home and property. Blessings should never be taken for granted, but appreciated. Kudos to you two! Keep on keepin' on, brother :smile2:.

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Hey Betsy welcome to the BOc I got out of it this year:eek:oooh:

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

What do you call yard work? When we had more than a yard (12 acres) I did the lot work and she did the yard work. Lot work was cutting down trees removing stumps, moving rock and anything else she wanted done. Yard work was cutting the grass around the house. So we shared the work and she got all the glory, lol.

10. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Well let's see, hmmmmmmmm, I do, unless a friend helps me sometime.

Take care.
    Cheryl

11. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Welcome Betsy! I mow and take care of the turf, prune, mulch leaves ( a square foot of mulched leaves is worth lbs of fert. The wife does the flowers. It all works outs.
    Bill

12. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I ride and she does the trimming.
    Its about 2 acres.
    I keep telling her just 2 times around the obsticles and I'll get the rest. Then everytime she'll mow the whole side yard and then complain that she is sooo tired.
    I dunno

13. SHARON FLEMING

SHARON FLEMING New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Yard work? what is that (tha's what I have George for) LOL

Welcome to the BOC

14. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Welcome Betsy to the BOC.
    Now if the women would just help get the yard work done then us men could get out on the water quicker and be able to do more fishin.:eek:oooh: Right Fellows??:roll_eyes: :beat_shot:

15. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Just happen to have a picture of my wife mowing while I was doing the weed eating and taking pictures. :big_smile:

Attached Files:

16. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

You GO Betty! Maybe you oughta get her into one of those lawn mower races, Dayton :big_smile:. She looks like she means business. I'm still just WISHIN' I had a riding mower :roll_eyes:.

17. cattinfever999

cattinfever999 New Member

State:
    KY
    I make ALL the honey do lists and I do most of the work. I've been on a real yard work kick here lately. Mowed the yard(again), raked the leaves, trimmed the shrubs, cleaned the flower beds(front of house), cleaned the driveway and cleaned vern's van. All while Vern mostly hunted and fished. Well, he did start the blower for me. Thank you, Vern.:wink:

18. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hmmmm......I didn't mention this before, but now that you've brought it up Kelli :big_smile:, I know exactly how you feel. Come to think of it when there WAS someone of the male persuasion here, I made the honey do lists too AND I was the honey that did them (about 99% of the time :roll_eyes:). He ran the weedeater once a year and promised to FIX the riding mower three times a year :lol:. What's a BLOWER? Oh yeah, that thing people use instead of a rake :lol:.

19. cattinfever999

cattinfever999 New Member

State:
    KY
    I use to run the weedeater, but there was a TERRIBLE fight. It didn't want to start for the hundredth time. I had some really bad words for it, then it finally came down to blows. It "accidently" slipped out of my hands and landed in the yard. I uttered some more bad words at it before stomping off. :ah: Vernon does the weedeating now(about once every other month). I have now discovered the joys of the riding mower. I love it and it seems to love me. Well, except for that one time that I flipped it and couldn't walk right for a month. But sometimes the ones you love hurt you every once in a while.:big_smile_2: