Yard sale or auction?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Phil Washburn, May 12, 2006.

Yard sale or auction?

1. yard sale - i love rummaging thru peoples junk in their front yard

2. i already have a yard, why would i want another one?

3. auctions - just love that bidding adrenaline rush

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i enjoy auctions myself, especially estate auctions. the yard sales i go to, seems like the seller has his mind made up and won't bargain. at an auction i have the opportunity to get a steal if no one else recognizes the value of that item.

i have had people tell me that going to an estate auction and buying a dead mans stuff is macabre, but most estate auctions are living estates. and those that aren't i actually have a little more respect for the treasures that another man has kept for years. something special about some of those treasures.

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I don 't really like any of them....Auction houses are the worst they take all night and cut too much commission out.

3. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    never been to an auction myself, don't see nothin' wrong with it. i have bought my fair share from yard sales. you know what they say, one mans junk is another mans treasure.

4. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    YARD SALE you get stuff for cheap

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It seems as though most of the stuff purchased on ebay is from estate auctions. It sure don't slow those people down who won't buy a dead man's stuff...long as its ebay its different. lol

6. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    I like to go to yard sales its a good place to find fishing stuff.

7. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Hello Everyone my name is Jim and I am an eBay-aholic

Hi Jim

8. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i do a little ebay myself, jim - you mostly buy or sell? i have done both, but i need to list several items i have been procrastinating on.

9. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Thats a good queston! I have to go with the yard sales though! I love it and you can find some really good deals if you hit the right areas. In fact many people cruise the yard sales and craigslist to find stuff to sell on ebay, myself included! I do also bid on ebay but it's to much like the rush you get from gambling! I get pissed off when someone outbids me and I end up over bidding:embarassed: Lmao!

10. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    My wife does yard sales, estate auctions and she frequents as many antique stores as she can. She does pretty good too. She really likes the auctions, sometimes she can get very good deals there. Matter of fact, she's going to one in the morning. There are three big ones in the area, so she'll start early and take a look at one and if she doesn't like what she sees, she'll move to the next one. Some yard sales here are good, but mostly if you get away from town and do some digging. I have found all kinds of good fishing gear that way. And lot's of camping stuff, like lanterns and campstoves.

11. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

99.9% buying so far, but I too have some stuff to sell.

I'm embarrassed to say (after a bad spell several years ago) I have many more Abu reels new in the box than ones I have mounted on rods, and I can produce 10 R&R rigs on demand. After that spell I cut myself off from eBay for 2 years. 2 years to the day I went online bidding, and picked up a couple more Abu's. But I do have much better control of my eBay now. Most of my reels (I tell myself) are investments, not fishing reels.

12. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    We have 3 auction houses around here. There is lots of good stuff and lots of junk. If it doesn't sell they just keep adding stuff to it till it does sell. One of them deals mostly in antiques and then on Thursday night it does a car auction. Have seen some real good cars and trucks go real cheap.

Last Friday they sold a 2 year old Yard Man riding mower for 300 bucks just cause the old man was going to a nursing home. A real clean mower and a steal for the high bidder.

Once a year they have a tool sale. Lots of good tools sold but lots of that Singapore and Tawain stuff too.

13. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    LOL, me too!! I used to have a real problem with that!!

14. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Here is an eBay secret I learned long ago both to help keep the price the lowest and protect me from a-hole bidders and most importantly, myself.

I will mark an auction I am interested in with "My eBay", and then set an alarm for 5 minutes before the auction ends within my cell phone. When the end is near, I will open up 2 windows for the object and place a bid within one until I am at the final submission button.

I then move to the other window and sync up the timer with my watch second hand using refresh on the page, and then I will watch the item until the last 15 seconds where I move to my predone bid page. At 3 seconds left I click my bid button.

You either win it or you don't, and you don't give another bidder the chance to run it up, nor allow yourself to go over your limit.

15. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    have not had the opertunity lately to do either but I agree I found my best treasures at yard sales.

16. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :lol: DON'T HAVE MUCH OF A PROBLEM ON THE BIDDING PART. GUESS I'M TO DARN TIGHT. DID BUY A CRAFTMAN SKIL SAW ONCE AT A YARD SALE FOR 5.00 BUCKS. FINALLY BURNT UP LAST YEAR AND I BOUGHT IT 18-20 YEARS AGO. GUESS I GOT MY MONEYS WORTH. CAN'T SEEM TO FIND MUCH FISHING EQUIPMENT AROUND HERE AT YARD SALES. IF YOU DO THIER ZEBCO202S AND WORE OUT. HAVE BETTER LUCK AT AUCTIONS.

17. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I bought a hospital bed on ebay a couple of weeks ago.

I needed one to elevate my head due to acid reflux. I got a prescription from my doctor and rented one. Insurance paid 80% but that still left me paying $30.00 per month. I started shopping and found that I could get a new one for around $800 which was too much. Then I looked on ebay. I bought an almost new one for $105.00. I had to make a 200 mile trip to Louisville to pick it up, but it was still a hell of a deal.

18. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.

I HAVE NEVER BOUGHT ANYTHING OFF E-BAY. BEEN ON THERE A FEW TIMES LOOKING. BUT NO BUYING. SOUNDS LIKE YOU GOT A GOOD DEAL ON THE BED. PAYS TO SHOP AROUND.

19. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I love the Auctions. I just bought a 2002 cavalier with cold air induction, custom seats, an eyeball type car. I bought it in Wisconsin and before I could get a driver out to it, I got an email from a guy in Wyoming. I sold it to him and he went and picked it up. That was using the best offer method. I am going to list a 1500.00 winnebago and maybe som 4 wheelers here real soon. I bought my personal motorhome, my bass boat, a snow plow, and several 4x4 trucks off ebay, and have sold a Viper, a Road trek MH, my personal MH, my bassboat, etc... I guess you could say I like Ebay! I also like the local estate auctions.

20. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    I am an eBay junkie. Live auctions are fun as long as there is something I want, but I would rather browse a flea market than drive from yard sale to yard sale.